Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am about 2.5 weeks into owning my V now. It is a 04 with fewer than 50k on the dial. The car came with a borla exhaust and ground control as well as a short shifter and cags delete.

So far I love my V. In fact I’m selling my C5 because I can’t see myself using it anymore.

I have two issues with this vehicle.

A. The navigation sucks.... I'm swapping to a stock cts DIC and installing an aftermarket nav really soon. So I am not too concerned about this.

Now the big problem
2. I have not seen anyone talk about this but there is a feature that GM offers on many high end and sport type vehicles that I have come to love over the years and hate to live without. What you’re asking yourself is this guy so angry about that wasn’t included in his or any other CTS’s?

HUD for Christ sake. HUD is the most awesome thing ever. I loved it on my 240 back in the mid 90's. I absolutely loved it on my GTP in the late 90's and into the 2000's... I have come to rely on it in my C5 which I am giving up to own the V. WHY in gods name was HUD not placed into the CTS? It is the perfect place for HUD. Luxury model that’s sporty.... Yeah exactly what HUD usually goes into. There is nothing safer then having speed displayed onto the windshield so that it’s easier to slow down for cops!!! Also the other information provided is just awesome. I really wish GM would have added HUD to our vehicles.

So I beg some of your extremely bored and smart people out there... Someone retrofit and figure out how to add HUD to our vehicles and become a rich man!!! Or in reality really poor from so much R&D.

Does anyone else feel as I do about HUD? Am I just getting old and crazy because I no longer have my favorite feature on my favorite vehicle? Pics of said V are posted below!!

Mods i have done in the last two weeks - blacked out side markers and DIY Clear fogs(done day after pic taken)
Future - Chrome wheels, High end stereo system, CAI, Long Tubes, LS7 clutch, Tune.

ugh, it just doesn't get any more beautiful then that!!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Housing and Urban Development?

j/k couldn't resist. :D

It's been the subject of at least one or two threads in the past as I recall. I've always been interested in using a heads up display, but never have. Not sure what's involved hardwarewise/softwarewise, but maybe someone here will chime in and shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
Move away from the Curb :ill: I never ever park that close to any curb
That's not a curb. Unless everyone jumps it to get into their driveway. It's just a sloped V shaped drainage area.

Wow your car's low. Looks nice, welcome. Let us know when you come up with the HUD solution.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
I've seen some hud talk on there and I believe they talked about needing to replace the windshield for better reflection.

Car looks good.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
I've seen some hud talk on there and I believe they talked about needing to replace the windshield for better reflection.

Car looks good.
:yeah:

Or I know some people mentioned a sticker to reflect upon... but the general consensus on those stickers is that it's ugly... and I remember reading some threads on the "add a hud" but the people in those threads reported they looked huge and clunky. I remember those threads people talking about the difficulty of getting anything other than speed up on the HUD

I'd be game for a HUD though. I loved them in the couple GTPs I had...

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
^^ yeah gotta have the that!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Move away from the Curb :ill: I never ever park that close to any curb

That being said the car looks sweet! Gotta love a lowered V
Lol thanks, yeah it was garbage day... I have had two cars hit on my street while parked on the road. I usually park the caddy wayyyy up on the curb if i have to park on the street.

That could be a good solution and might be the only logical one out there.

That's not a curb. Unless everyone jumps it to get into their driveway. It's just a sloped V shaped drainage area.

Wow your car's low. Looks nice, welcome. Let us know when you come up with the HUD solution.
The car was super low, the previous owner had the coil overs wayyyyy slammed. I raised it a bit as I use this car for my daily driver and got tired of hearing the tires rub the wheel wells on super bumpy CA roads.

I may be wrong but if you swap to a std cts dic how are you gonna get to comp mode?
Now that is a great question, I'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Edit:
After a touch of research I'm not too concerned. If I want comp mode I would in reality want traction and stability completely off not slightly. I will test to see if I am able to disable them by holding the button down for 5 seconds as I am able to right now. I will get back to the board to let them know if I am able to switch between modes without the confirmation of the stock nav unit.

:yeah:

Or I know some people mentioned a sticker to reflect upon... but the general consensus on those stickers is that it's ugly... and I remember reading some threads on the "add a hud" but the people in those threads reported they looked huge and clunky. I remember those threads people talking about the difficulty of getting anything other than speed up on the HUD

I'd be game for a HUD though. I loved them in the couple GTPs I had...
I'm not so sure that the windshield would be the hardest thing, I believe that the software and hardware integration aspect would be much harder. I replaced the windshield in my 240 and my GTP with non HUD cheap replacements and they both worked 100% fine. That being said the C5/C6 display would be absolutely bad ass on these cars.

I think maybe GM didnt put HUD in our vehicles because no one would ever sell their V!!!!!!! Yes it would be officially the baddest ass car ever [email protected]! I have many many years in the mobile audio and electronics field. I have no desire to attempt hud in a non hud vehicle.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Welcome!

HUD's have been discussed and the first thing I would do is see if the unit and harness will plug and play.

The C5 HUD uses the same PCM and most if not all of the same functions.

As for a windshield replacement, from what I have heard, it doesn't really make that much of a differance in the view.

The biggest problem is sawing a hole in the dash for the unit IMHO.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
How much did ya pay? If you don't mind telling.....

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
i had a 92 240sx se automatic...strong car..nice heavy steering. the hud was nice. i can also remember it being electronically imited to 104mph which was not nice. a new windshield was very expensive.

some have pursued the hud option and i think we all secretly want to see someone try it.. but as mentioned, and also my opinion, is the biggest problem would be burying the unit in the dash without it looking ghe-tto. who cares about us.. do iiiiiit

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
Mods i have done in the last two weeks - blacked out side markers and DIY Clear fogs(done day after pic taken)
lets see those fogs and sidemakers!!! perfectly good reason to wash the car and take some more pics

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Welcome!

HUD's have been discussed and the first thing I would do is see if the unit and harness will plug and play.

The C5 HUD uses the same PCM and most if not all of the same functions.

As for a windshield replacement, from what I have heard, it doesn't really make that much of a differance in the view.

The biggest problem is sawing a hole in the dash for the unit IMHO.
If i knew anything about pcm programing and interface design i would possibly jump on it but i cant do it. The dash for me wouldnt be too big of a deal to mold a hud reflector into it. There are plenty of C5 spare hud parts out there. If anyone was able to do the programing i would possibly jump and give it a shot down the line some time.

How much did ya pay? If you don't mind telling.....
about 18

i had a 92 240sx se automatic...strong car..nice heavy steering. the hud was nice. i can also remember it being electronically imited to 104mph which was not nice. a new windshield was very expensive.

some have pursued the hud option and i think we all secretly want to see someone try it.. but as mentioned, and also my opinion, is the biggest problem would be burying the unit in the dash without it looking ghe-tto. who cares about us.. do iiiiiit
Mine was a fun car too... I liked it much more then i expected to. The hud windshields were like $600+ when i broke mine. I replaced it with a non hud version and there was zero difference in function or appearance besides the small patch of tint that proved to do nothing really.

lets see those fogs and sidemakers!!! perfectly good reason to wash the car and take some more pics
Well the side markers are seen in the pics but i did the fogs the next day. Next weekend when i wash it again I will be sure to take a few pics of the fogs.

Also i got my stock cts head unit in today (thanks ups) I'll test the DIC and different modes if i can scrape the energy together tonight.

Edit: Just checked the stock unit, It is theft locked so ill have to go get it un done tomorrow at a dealer.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the base head unit in today to get un locked and the dealer wanted me to wait 2 hours. I didnt have that time so ill have to go back some time. I was however able to enter sport mode with the standard head unit installed and no nav unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts