Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:yup:

I purchased a 1999 Eldorado with 80,060 miles a few weeks ago. Car looked like it came of the car lot. Paint had original new shine and no dents. I did some prepurchase homework on this website to make sure it was a good buy. I pulled the history codes, ran the car at wot a few times with ac to make sure it did not overheat, tested the suspension, ect. Bought the car and did not run into a single problem until now.
Car seems to idle rough when cold and also make a winding belt sound until it warms up. Also I am losing coolant because my dash told me I had low coolant. My worst fear started this morning when the low pressure oil light came on and told.me to shut the engine down. I know that all this information is here on this forum, but is it safe to say I can still run the car with that low pressure light on. The car.has new oil and it is.filled.to the top line. Thanks guys, any input helps

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Welcome to the site.

As for the oil pressure light....no. It's not advisable to run the car with the oil light on. It's on for a reason. That reason has to be discovered. Could be a bad sending unit, a wire grounding out from the unit causing the light to come on. Excessive oil clearances in the engine bearings. A common problem that is discussed on here that the harmonic balancer bolt is NOT tightened to specification, leading to low oil pressure. (I would check that first).

As for the winding belt noise, inpsect all belts on the vehicle. Check the water pump belt and tensioner for it's operation and make sure the belt isn't slipping and the tensior for the waterpump is operating correctly.

As for the rough idle cold and loss of coolant........well all I can say, you want to remain optimistic, but reality has to be looked at.

If you've done any type of research into this motor, you will find that it has it's issues. It's main issue that WILL rear it's ugly head sooner or later is it's headgasket retention fault.

After being on here and researching this motor enough to realize the fault, there is no denying it. It's going to come. It's just when. Some sooner, some later, but it's coming.

Yet, nothing is perfect. This factory flaw does have a few choices for the repair.

I feel the best route to go is to get a set of studs for your vehicle. If you're mechanically inclined and aren't intimidated by mechanical workings, use the factory service manual and some common sense, it can be fixed.

Check out www.northstarperformance.com for the studs.

This repair is no walk in the park, but can be done.

I'm preparing to do it to mine now......

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
9 out of 10 times the low oil pressure light is caused by the pressure switch on the oil filter adapter.

Loosing coolant and a rough idle at start up are not good signs.

·
Registered
99 Eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Right afterwork I needed to move the car. She started right up with no problems! The engine did not run rough, there were no belts squealing and most importantly the oil pressure light did not come on. I feel like she's playing games with me. I've been reading about the dreaded head gasket and studs, but I do not hope its this soon. I bought the car from an older couple that did not use the car much. It was garaged and well taken car of. They did tell me that the car did sit a lot and was rarely driven this past year. I know that when a car sits for a while it starts developing its little kinks and issues. Is there anything else you guys recommend on me checking or replacing since it did sit for a while stored?

I also own a 1991 BMW 850i with a v12 engine that I purchased 5 years ago with similar millage. The owner that previously owned the BMW had it stored and also let it sit for a while. It developed its little kinks in my first month of ownership and then went away after I drove it around for a few months.

I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but I feel with the Cadillac I need to give it a little extra attention before things get worse. Having only put 500 miles on it, I really have enjoyed the way the car feels. I've always wanted a Eldorado, and when I saw the condition of this car I just had to jump on it. I just want to make sure I do the right maintenance on this car. Thanks again!

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
I suggest you check all the fluid levels.

Change the oil (if it hasn't been changed already), check the oil pressure switch at the oil filter housing/ adapter (as stated before). Give it a good drive.

Make note of the check engine light or any messages that may appear of the driver's information center. Try to hope for the best and enjoy your purchase.

Good luck with it again.....

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
If it was owned by an old couple and not driven the way a Northstar needs t
O be it could have carbon build up. Carbon build up can cause it to run rough. Take her out for a good drive on a quiet back road. Select 2nd gear and give her several good WOTs. It'll make you smile and her feel better.

·
Registered
99 Eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What part of the Country do you live in?
San Francisco

All fluid levels checked last night and every thing seems to be fine. Only the transmission fluid seems a little dirty. I'm scared to change that because I've heard of horror stories of problems developing once the fluid is changed. I'll give it some more wot's this weekend.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,797 Posts
Change the trans fluid. If it's been maintained properly, it'll be fine.
Yeah, that^^^^

............and if you feel antsy about DIY, take the car to a GM dealer and have them do a "transmission fluid exchange" to the new synthetic DEXRON-VI which is 100% backward-compatible with the obsolete -III.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts