Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L 6spd manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great site and I am really happy to have found it. I bought my CTS this past July, and I am almost embarassed by how much I love the car. It has been everything I was hoping for and then some.

Unfortunately, I have had some reoccuring problems that the dealer has not been able to fix after two attempts and they are seriously spoiling my fun. It is important to note at this point that I have the 6spd manual (the only true connection between man and machine).

Problem one: I think my clutch is slipping, the dealer says they can't recreate the problem. While crusing at 70 or so in 6th gear and I attempt to accelerate to pass the offensive slow poke in the fast lane, the revs jump 500-800rpm momentarily then settle back down. This happens well before the torque peak of the engine. So I have either glazed the friction plate, or there is an anti-chatter system that is malfuntioning. I can't find any information about an anti-chatter system on the V-6 CTS.

Problem two: Check engine light comes on and suddenly there is no power. The engine idles fine, but it won't pull and won't get out of its own way. I shut down the car...and more often than not, the problem goes away. Last time at the dealer they changed the throttle pedel position sensor. But the problem came back. Now on my third trip to the dealer I think they might actually be able to fix it, but if anybody has experienced the same problem I would be interested in hearing about it and how it got fixed.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum:bouncy: :D

I assume this is a 2006 CTS? I've been on this forum for some time and don't recall ever seeing those problems. If it's not an '06 I hope it's still under warranty. The check engine light can be numerous things, one as simple as a untightened fuel cap. But the loss in power is very strange to me. Maybe another member might be of help. Glad to have you on board.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!! Sorry to here your having this trouble right out of the box. Don't recall either of these popping up as having happened, if it has and one of the members reads this I'm sure you'll read about it. Again - Welcome.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
GrafAnton said:
This is a great site and I am really happy to have found it. I bought my CTS this past July, and I am almost embarassed by how much I love the car. It has been everything I was hoping for and then some.

Unfortunately, I have had some reoccuring problems that the dealer has not been able to fix after two attempts and they are seriously spoiling my fun. It is important to note at this point that I have the 6spd manual (the only true connection between man and machine).

Problem one: I think my clutch is slipping, the dealer says they can't recreate the problem. While crusing at 70 or so in 6th gear and I attempt to accelerate to pass the offensive slow poke in the fast lane, the revs jump 500-800rpm momentarily then settle back down. This happens well before the torque peak of the engine. So I have either glazed the friction plate, or there is an anti-chatter system that is malfuntioning. I can't find any information about an anti-chatter system on the V-6 CTS.

Problem two: Check engine light comes on and suddenly there is no power. The engine idles fine, but it won't pull and won't get out of its own way. I shut down the car...and more often than not, the problem goes away. Last time at the dealer they changed the throttle pedel position sensor. But the problem came back. Now on my third trip to the dealer I think they might actually be able to fix it, but if anybody has experienced the same problem I would be interested in hearing about it and how it got fixed.
Problem 1. I'm not understanding, shouldn't the rev's jump when you try to accelerate?
Problem 2. I read awhile back on the STS forum, someone having a similar issue with theirs. Might be worthwhile to inquire there??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, revs should rise during acceleration. But in 6th gear, they should rise relative to the increase in speed, not spin up like I had a torque converter or the clutch depressed.

I'm really in luck because my sister-in-law works in GM's technical assistance dept. I'm hoping she can become a useful asset to me and this forum. Maybe even be able to communicate our concerns up the chain of command.

I'll let you know what the dealer comes up with and if I get any satisfaction.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure about the engine light. It could be something simple. Get the dealer to hook it up on the scanalizer and read the code.
About the clutch slipping, is it only doing it when you try to acceleraate in 6th gear? What about when you shift from second to third? If your clutch plate are glazed up, it should be slipping on all gears.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my saga continues, but with not much in the way of news. The dealer has had the car since last Friday and I haven't heard a peep. So I'm putting miles on the loaner, enjoying the heated seats which my car doesn't have and hoping to hear something soon.

The car is a early production 2005. It was used by a GM excecutive for 7,500 miles and then sold to the dealer I bought it from. My in-law at GM thought that the serial number was really weird and so did the dealer, the last five digits are 00008.

I tried On-Star...twice...they could not get any error codes from the car. If it weren't for the remote unlocking feature which I have used already, I might dump the service.

I thought it might be going into some sort of limp mode, but neither OnStar or the dealer could confirm it.

I'll let you know

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
All I know is this, if the CEL light comes on there SHOULD be some record of what caused that on the OBD system. If NOT then I'd be concerned.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
With the engine pulling at full throttle in a higher gear, leave the throttle full open, stab the clutch pedal and release quickly. The revs should increase quickly and return back to the before stab speed almost instantly with a jerk. If the revs increase quickly and run away or slowly decrease the clutch is fried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard back from the dealer today. They replaced the clutch under warrenty and replaced the throttle pedal position sensor for the second time.

I am reasonably confident that the clutch will work as intended from this point forward. I am not so confident that they solved the problem with the CEL. The biggest problem with the CEL is that it is an intermittent problem. It seems to come and go with no repeatable sceniaros. The fact that they replaced the same part twice makes me think they did not diagnois the problem correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts