Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 02 STS. Great deal with only 45000 miles. Question is within 1 minute of starting the car the temperature is already at normal operating range. Is this normal? My Z28 or Impala SS were never like that.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I would question your sensor(s). If the car is aready warm I can buy it. If its going from cold to 192 or more in a minute - that violates some laws of thermodynamics.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,015 Posts
They are designed to heat up as fast as possible. The cooling system is designed differently than your Z28 or Impala. Time will vary of coarse with outside temperature, but you will appreciate it in the winter. That said, one minute is pretty quick to reach normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Is the temperature remaining constant once its warmed up?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,084 Posts
:stirpot: The later N* engine cooling setup is configured so there is practically zero coolant circulation until the block/heads reach about 165 degrees. Then the thermostat allows radiator and tank coolant to begin flowing slowly, and when all the coolant and engine has stabilized at around 195 degrees or so, "normal" water pump and coolant flow is established. My STS sits in an unheated garage, and, at 35 degrees outside, the temp gauge hits the center mark in less than a mile. BUT, the oil and radiator are still warming up....it STILL takes 3-4 miles for everything to begin to equalize in temperature. And the PCM won't let you run it too hard until temperatures are in normal range. It's all magic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts