Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up an 06 STS4 with a v8 and the lux performance package for my wife and think there may already be a few things not working correctly. Please advise:
1) When pressing the express open on the sunroof it stops about two inches short of being full open. If you repress the express open it will open fully. Is this normal or is the a programming operation that is telling it to stop short?
2) Even though I have the memory setup to turn on the seat heaters/defrost when using the remote startup it does not do it. What did I miss in the setup?
3) I am totally lost in the voice activation system. The dealer showed on the screen a tutorial of commands which I cannot find. Not that it really seems to matter, as the "bitch in the box" :banghead: still does not understand simple commands like "windows up".
4) I take it that since we have the heated steering wheel there is no way to use the wheel control to run through preset audio stations all you have is scan now so I have to hit all the crap that I don't like anyway?

Another thing, is that at this point my wife (PhD educated) is afraid to drive it until I can preset and show her how everything works. Since this system is supposed to be more user friendly than the other high end (idrive for example) systems I'm sure most people just give up.

Mark

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
My seat heaters do not work with remote start either. I can't comment on the other items, I don't have those options. Now that winter is coming I will probably take it in for service.

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
commander112 said:
I just picked up an 06 STS4 with a v8 and the lux performance package for my wife and think there may already be a few things not working correctly. Please advise:

Mark
Well short of advising you to read all of the manuals (repeatedly) and to play the CD that came with the vehicle here are a few brief answers to your questions:

A) The sunroof is working as designed. It stops short so that you do not deliver to much airflow into the cabin but allows you to open the remainder should you so desire.

B) The car only activates the defroster and seat cooler/heater if it detects the proper conditions at remote start. Once you get in the cabin and press the start button it then resets to whatever your user defined "driver" settings are. The seats cooler/heaters are not in the memory and so reset to off upon start.

C) Press your voice key and say "help" , "Navigation Help" etc... The command screens will then display. You also have an entire section of commands listed in the Navigation System manual. As noted many many times throughout the forum however it is not a very reliable system (most aren't for any vehicle) and you will have to pick your battles on this one.

D) Yes you give up a hard key on the wheel to gain the Nav/Audio which are touchscreen/voice based. Technically you can you use the VR for this also but item (C) covers that.

These are high end "bleeding" edge systems and are not user friendly no matter what the marketing folks say. They just haven't been around long enough to reach the point of what Hollywood and the manufacturers would like us to believe. There are many threads on feature items throughout the forum. Run some searches and browse a bit to learn what everyone has to say, good and bad.

As a small consolation my wife has yet to sit in the drivers seat of ours as she is so intimidated by it. Of course, I didn't buy this one for her...:p

Welcome to the boards, good luck and best wishes getting to a happy "medium" with your new Caddy...and your wife...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! It was very helpful. In fact, it was exactly what I was looking for. The manuals can be a bit confusing and locating the answer for can take longer than driving to the dealer and asking. For example, I read about the sunroof and nowhere did I find anything about it intensionally stopping short, although it does make sence (as our Pacifica buffets when open all the way).
I really hate that I lose a preset search on the steering wheel for the stereo. Now I have to take my eyes off the road and use the touch panel to go through presets especially since there are no actual buttons to feel. Stupid in my opinion. They could have removed the seek buttons from the wheel as how often do you ever seek stations?

Mark

·
Registered
XLR
99 Posts
Listening to the CD helps. I had to listen a couple of times to certain sections of the CD. It just takes awhile. :welcome:

·
Registered
516 Posts
commander112 said:
Thanks for your reply! It was very helpful. I

Mark
You're very welcome. There are many here who have great opinions to offer.

Again welcome and Happy Driving!

Kev

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You refer to a CD, I just looked and only received a DVD (navigation database) and an Onstar CD. Am I missing one?

Mark

·
Registered
516 Posts
commander112 said:
You refer to a CD, I just looked and only received a DVD (navigation database) and an Onstar CD. Am I missing one?

Mark
You may be confusing your "OnStar" CD that you mentioned with the actual STS Tutorial that Transylvania was refering to.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an OnStar disk provided with the system. Only the NAV DVD and the aforementioned STS Tutorial CD. Try the disk you have to be sure...

·
Registered
19 Posts
To me, listening to the CD is much easier than reading the manual and is something I can do on my way to and from work. I'm a fairly new STS owner, having bought a CTS in June of 2005 and after not being entirely satisfied with the ride, worked with my dealer to get into a 2005 STS ("used", with only 177 miles on it; the original buyer's wife wanted the DTS instead and made him trade it in only three weeks after he bought it, so it was a fantastic deal for me). I really love the STS and am constantly impressed by how well it handles and rides. I think everyone who buys a new car wonders if some of the things it does / doesn't do are the way things should be and I appreciate the STS Forum and the ability to hear what other owners have to say about their experiences.

·
Registered
2005 STS- with Luxury Group
28 Posts
Welcome to the STS family! Just a couple of things I learned since I acquired my 05 STS in March. If you want to get various readings (mileage, MPG, etc.) without starting the engine, just hold down the ACC button longer and they will appear as if the engine is running. Also, the heated and cooled seats do not work unless the temperature dictates the need when you use the remote start. Thus, the defroster, heated or cooled seats will not come on unless it is cool or hot enough for them to work. Something that works great for the first year and is free from OnStar for Cadillac owners is Virtual Advisor. When you set-up your OnStar, ask them for the free first year of Virtual Advisor--you have to ask to get it. They (OnStar) will reconfigure your subscription so that Virtual Advisor does not go against your prepaid telephone time. What is Virtual Advisor? It is an OnStar service that once you say "Virtual Advisor" after pressing the phone key on the rear view mirror gives you the current weather, traffic conditions and stock market report. You can set it for specific information on OnStar's website. I really find it helpful for the freeway commute to work/home to avoid bad traffic conditions. After a year it reverts back to being charged against your prepaid telephone minutes. As far as the Voice Activation system, I too, have had my difficult times with it. Like the first time I took one of my nephews for a ride in the new car and said Windows Down and instead had my system (verbal and visual) convert to Italian!!! Took a while to figure how to get it back to English!! However, since then I found out exactly where the mike for the system is and found out it is the little speaker on the bottom of the rearview mirror. So I aim my head toward that mirror and speak loud and clear and it seems to work 90% better than before. However, it still has its moments. I hope this helps. I have a question for the rest of you out there--what is the easiest (best) way to cancel a destination on your NAV system when you want to turn it off while you are driving and no longer need its guidance? I have tried verbal comments such as "Destination-Cancel" and that may work, but in most cases not. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cajonkev said:
You may be confusing your "OnStar" CD that you mentioned with the actual STS Tutorial that Transylvania was refering to.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an OnStar disk provided with the system. Only the NAV DVD and the aforementioned STS Tutorial CD. Try the disk you have to be sure...
The dealer tells me that the Tutorial CD is for cars without the nav system. And the nav system cars just come with the big nav system book and to use the "navigation help" screen to learn to navigate the system.

Mark

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
82 Posts
commander112 said:
The dealer tells me that the Tutorial CD is for cars without the nav system. And the nav system cars just come with the big nav system book and to use the "navigation help" screen to learn to navigate the system.

Mark
Your dealer is uninformed about the first part. I have a nav system and used the CD tutorial to set up my STS from the CONFIG menu.
The nav manual does have the full list of commands. The list is too long. A smaller list would alleviate voice recognition problems.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes your dealer is miss/uninformed. Go get your CD...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although I don't have the navigation system in my car, I did register with "my GM link.com". From there, you can enter the "glovebox" selection and view pdf versions of both the regular owner's manual as well as the suppliment that covers the navigation system (sometimes veiwing a file on line is more convenient for me than reading a "paper" manual).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now have the nav system tutorial CD. I also have my first rattle:hammer: coming from the dashboard at only 500 miles.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts