Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I am new to the Cadillac world. I have owned several vehicles in the past, and am probably one of the few people who has traded something german (had an 03 Passat), for a Cadillac, but needless to say, I sat behind the reigns of my 2001 White Diamond Seville STS for the first time about two weeks ago. Since then I have been on a business trip to California, however in the time ive been gone, my brother who is caring for the vehicle has reported that it is has stalled at idle one time, and lost power on the freeway slightly once also. The codes that the dealer pulled showed that the Crank Position Sensors were to blame for this, but that they are on national backorder from GM. Is this really the possible problem or is there other issues that are more common? A search online for NORTHSTAR CRANKSHAFT POSITION turned up very little if nothing at all.

I knew going into this my vehicle would probably be in service more than the average car, but hopefully this is not a trend. I purchased this beautiful car from a Caddy dealer (have always wanted an STS and better yet a 2001 Since the premium lux package includes xenon lights) for stupid money knowing full well the history of the vehicle (had been a buyback for a repeated steering issue, but GM replaced the steering rack and slapped on another 1yr and 12k of warranty coverage and with just 26k miles I figured that was good enough for me).

It certainly doesnt come anywhere close to my passat in terms of solidity, tightness and road feel, but thats not why I bought it, I love the car's stance, size and overall appeal alot more than the mundane VW. At 21 its also probably way out of my demographic as my friends like to point out :mad: ,Hopefully however this will be a happy relationship, as I am known to trade in vehicles at the slightest whim and I dont want this to be one of them ;)

Thank you for creating this great resource for Caddy fans!

EDIT: One final question (for now anyway), my STS also has a slight "tick tick tick" sound from the engine at idle. I noticed in a Northstar writeup that 00 and 01 models develop a carbon buildup that can cause a "cold knock condition"... Is this the same thing?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Just a few words on your "cold knock condition"; you 'might' be experiencing carbon build-up in the combustion chamber caused by less than spirited driving. A simple (and fun) cure is to select "2" on the shift lever and do several wide-open-throttle starts letting the engine turn to redline for the 1 - 2 shift. Then let it compression brake back down to low speed, do a complete stop, and do it all again. Watch for the brown cloud exiting your exhaust. Repeat at regular intervals.

Choose your piece of highway and time of day very carefully!

Enjoy

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!! Will definitely try that when I get back home tomorrow.

As for the Crankshaft Sensors, Anybody got any info or advice on that? The tech claimed that the backordered ones are probably a new redesigned version prone not to fail as often. I hope so.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
I doubt you will have ongoing problems, until recently I had an 01 SLS and it had 1 problem for the 36 month/36500 mile time i owned it. enjoy, its a great car.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
The tech probably is right and the fact that the part is backordered is probably significant. If it got redesigned it takes a while to refill the supply line.

Someone else mentioned their sensor being replaced.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies guys. Sure enough the problems im having now that I got back are right in line with poor CPS performance. Hard starts mainly, but my brother claims is has died out a few times when stopped or idling.

Hopefully this thing wont take too long to come in!

BTW... Anyone who owns an LS430 knows a quality vehicle! Im happy with my STS, but thats just a whole other world, right up there with my previous and current generation 7 Car from BMW.

zonie77 said:
The tech probably is right and the fact that the part is backordered is probably significant. If it got redesigned it takes a while to refill the supply line.

Someone else mentioned their sensor being replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts