Cadillac Owners Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,627 Posts
A Northstar purchase of a 2000 or later model is pretty safe. The ones after 2005 - or when VVT was introduced - are problematic.

Please read the non-scientific poll figures in our Engines; Northstar forum. It's a sticky - timeless info - which is why you should read every sticky in each forum of interest.

Click the tab "View poll results" - Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

·
2008 DTS
106 Posts
I bought an 08 DTS 1 year ago this month.Rides like a Caddy should.Much more comfortable than a Lincoln Town car I used to own.IT did have issues with heated seats not working,leaky valve cover gaskets and the water pump blew last summer. 105k at the time. Luckily I have an extended warranty that covered the bulk of these issues. Not the seats but the mechanical stuff. My seats I just looked under the passenger seat and there was a burned wired.Fixed that.Worked for a minute and done.I ended up buying 2 seats from the local junkyard on the cheap. Matching too! I used the driver seats I bought as a whole and took the heated seat module from the passenger seat.Everything has been working fine since. I also had an issue with the A.I.R. pump.Bought one at ROCK AUTO and after driving the required reset distance (a few hundred miles) it's fine too.I say all that to say, HAVE WHATEVER CADDY YOU LOOK AT CHECKED OUT AT A MECHANIC SHOP!! The valve cover gaskets are not easy to replace and neither is the oil pan gasket. It would have cost me around 3500-4000 to fix the issues if I didn't have the warranty.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts