Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm officially sick of smallish cars. My 2018 so-called "mid-size" sedan is too cramped, too much road noise, and dang it - I'm too old for that!

I want a big sedan that will effortlessly cruise the highway and not report back every ding, strip, pebble, in the pavement! I want big doors that open wide and comfortable seats. I want to be able to put my feet under the passenger side dash without hitting an airconditioning duct. I want to be able to actually HEAR the expensive stereo, and not the tire noise.

I don't have too much money. I'm thinking of a 10 year old DTS. Am I on the right track? Thanks fellas!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,553 Posts
Up the budget and buy a CT6 plug in hybrid. It will blow your mind. I was in one last week when I bought my ELR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Up the budget and buy a CT6 plug in hybrid. It will blow your mind. I was in one last week when I bought my ELR.
<cough! cough!> 2017 Cadillac CT6 Hybrid Plug-In RWD - $39,100

Ok, that's only $30,000 over my absolute MAX BUDGET~! Waaaaahhhhhhhh!

Thanks for the dream though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wondering about the DeVille branded DTS, and DHS. I understand the DTS is a "touring" and DHS is "luxury" - -but how different are they in terms of COMFORT, NOISE, RIDE QUALITY? At my old age I don't need tons of performance, but I also don't want a rollie-pollie slug that can't get out of its own way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for a 2006 and up DTS. I'm wondering if the "options" are coded in a glove box label as my GM Suburban was, or are the option codes elsewhere?

Is there a "best year" for these DTS?

Is there anything like a particular option to avoid?

I'm just fishing to learn as much as possible before I lay out the dough. Appreciate any inputs. I know nothing about Cadillacs, except by reputation.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
630 Posts
My STS-V is whisper quiet inside, the quietest car I’ve owned. The OEM six disc CD/Fm/XM stereo is outstanding too. They’re not very expensive either.

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,510 Posts
I'm officially sick of smallish cars. My 2018 so-called "mid-size" sedan is too cramped, too much road noise, and dang it - I'm too old for that!

I want a big sedan that will effortlessly cruise the highway and not report back every ding, strip, pebble, in the pavement! I want big doors that open wide and comfortable seats. I want to be able to put my feet under the passenger side dash without hitting an airconditioning duct. I want to be able to actually HEAR the expensive stereo, and not the tire noise.

I don't have too much money. I'm thinking of a 10 year old DTS. Am I on the right track? Thanks fellas!
I realize that the answer I'm about to give you is heresy on these forums, but sounds like you might be a good fit for a Ford Panther platform (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Lincoln TC). I've had several.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,553 Posts
Take that 9k and buy the nicest 95/6 Fleetwood Brougham you can find. You won't get bigger, and probably not quieter. Good power, easy to work on, reliable. Drive one and see how you like it.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
939 Posts
I don’t know old Cadillacs but from my viewpoint you are looking for a Lexus LS460 with a Mark Levinson hifi and air suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,660 Posts
Agreed with Jay. A Fleetwood is much easier to service and repair than a Northstar DeVille. And longer wheelbase.

EjS - Those Lexuses (Lexii?) are pretty pricey still. Under 100k miles and you're in the $12-15k range for a nice one. Expensive air struts to replace and timing belt service at this point, too. Sweet cars though.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,319 Posts
I am wondering about the DeVille branded DTS, and DHS. I understand the DTS is a "touring" and DHS is "luxury" - -but how different are they in terms of COMFORT, NOISE, RIDE QUALITY? At my old age I don't need tons of performance, but I also don't want a rollie-pollie slug that can't get out of its own way.
The DTS and DHS are pretty similar. They are both optioned out Devilles (2000-2005). The DTS has a slightly firmer suspension and 25 more HP and about 2 MPG less than the DHS due to the different final driv e ratios. Based on what you said, I think you'd like the DHS more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take that 9k and buy the nicest 95/6 Fleetwood Brougham you can find. You won't get bigger, and probably not quieter. Good power, easy to work on, reliable. Drive one and see how you like it.
I never had considered a car that old - - BUT, I do like the size! At 225" it's 3" longer than my old Suburban, which sat in my garage with 1" to spare!

I assume, that the common 5.7L GM motor is lie a "tried and true" kind of meat and potatoes motor compared to the Northstar?

I gotta admit, it's worth looking into. But, I worry about being the "last guy on the ride" who gets to replace the tranny, or some other wildly expensive bit!

I'm lookin'. Thanks,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I realize that the answer I'm about to give you is heresy on these forums, but sounds like you might be a good fit for a Ford Panther platform (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Lincoln TC). I've had several.
Because they are ____?

My friend has a Vic and while the size is nice, it seems a bit "ordinary Ford'ish" inside and out.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,220 Posts
Yeah, that ^^^

Either the Fleetwoods mentioned or a 2003-4-5 DHS. Set aside at least half of the purchase price amount for maintenance and repairs for the first year.

"Old Cadillacs are cheap to buy and expensive to maintain" - especially a daily driver belonging to a non-gearhead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that ^^^

Either the Fleetwoods mentioned or a 2003-4-5 DHS. Set aside at least half of the purchase price amount for maintenance and repairs for the first year.

"Old Cadillacs are cheap to buy and expensive to maintain" - especially a daily driver belonging to a non-gearhead.
Ok, now we're getting to some reality checks! Thanks. I did figure on "repairs" - but maybe not HALF THE PURCHASE PRICE! Which leads to this Q: Are Cadillac repairs a cost premium over Ford repairs? i.e. harder to service?

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,660 Posts
With a Northstar, yes.

With a Fleetwood's LT1 - no.

If you have basic tools and mechanical knowledge, you can fix any of the Fleetwood's issues in your garage in an afternoon with a six pack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With a Northstar, yes.

With a Fleetwood's LT1 - no.

If you have basic tools and mechanical knowledge, you can fix any of the Fleetwood's issues in your garage in an afternoon with a six pack.
Funny! And, interesting. I probably don't want to do any hands-on wrenching, but it's nice to know that "Louie" will find it easy to repair, as I drink the sixpack!

Just a quick look on Autotrader tells me these are HARD TO FIND - even in SoCal.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,553 Posts
No, not the tried and true old small block. Th 94-6 cars got the sequential port fuel injected LT1. Big difference from the L05 TBI engine from 90-93. High compression, reverse cooling, good mileage, lots of power (260HP/330ft-lbs torque). True dual exhaust, decent rear gear ratios. I can't promise you that it will cost less to maintain than a N*... ok, well, yes, I can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, not the tried and true old small block. Th 94-6 cars got the sequential port fuel injected LT1. Big difference from the L05 TBI engine from 90-93. High compression, reverse cooling, good mileage, lots of power (260HP/330ft-lbs torque). True dual exhaust, decent rear gear ratios. I can't promise you that it will cost less to maintain than a N*... ok, well, yes, I can.
This was a very informative review: https://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/wk9550.html

1 - 20 of 77 Posts