Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
None yet
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group,

It's so exciting to see a group like this going on!

To be exact I'm probably the only member of this group without onwership of a Cadillac vehicle at all. I have to confess I've never seen myself in a Caddy, in fact I never liked Cadillac cars in my life, not until GM rolled out 08 and 09 CTS, that I got hooked hard. You know when it finally rains it pours, and I'm all soaked, happily. The new CTS is by every bit the car I want. So, an owner soon to be am I.

So I went in and test drove a 09 on DI and manual tranny the other day. The car is a base model except the DI motor and 18" wheels. All went well except that the motor reponse at neutral confused me. It seems to me that the motor doesn't respond to a "blip" on the gas pedal as quickly as it does when in gear, in fact it reacted much more slowly than did in gear. It wouldn't start to rev unless I kept gas down for a while. I've been driving manual cars all my life and this was the first encounter. Asked the dealer people and the best answer was that it might be the way a drive-by-wire system behaves. When I'm going from coasting in neutral to driving in gear I always rev the motor prior to shifting, and the lack/delay of response makes it feel odd. There is not an other manual CTS in my area so I can't compare and tell. Will appreciate any manual drivers shed some light!

Shaoyi

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Anyone who says he has never liked Caddies needs to be banned forever from everything in life. Must be one of those young whipper-snappers.

Well, since you like the CTS, I guess we will bend the rules and let you comment here--only if you are nice and you send everyone $100 a day here.

CTS is one fine auto. Sorry, I cannot answer your question cause I have an 04. When I start it later today, I will hit the throttle, but I do not have the DI engine.

Welcome aboard. Send my $100 to ....

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
I had an '08 CTS DI with MT and FE3. Yes, it was a bit sluggish to rev when under no load, and it was tricky to heal and toe, too. It pulls fine under load, though. The engine mapping makes it difficult to shift smoothly, though it gets better with practice. Still, it's a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
None yet
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much guys for the replies. Yes, I agree totally on the fun-to-drive part. The way my tester CTS handles came without compromising ride quality, and that really amazed me.:2thumbs:

Now I have another question that I hope you manual drivers can help. My wife complained when she saw the car at the dealership that CTS gets parking brake at the left foot, and the release a left hand flip below the dash, instead of a simple right hand handle. We’ve never owned a manual car with this type of parking brake. This may not be a problem for most, but it could be one for us. There is a stretch of more-than-mild uphill slope from our place to the main road. She’s used to using the parking brake when doing up-hill start to prevent rolling backwards, especially when there are cars following closely. It has worked perfectly for her as she can keep her left hand on the wheel all the time, modulate the parking brake with right hand and make a smooth start every time without rolling at all. Now with the CTS it’s a big question for us if this technique can be used and used well. Are there other ways that you can do uphill start up without backward rolling (no slipping clutch, please)? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
Uhh, no. Time to perfect your accelerator-clutch take-off abilities!:welcome:

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
I had to do just such a thing a few times, and it can be done. Set the parking brake, then when ready, put the car in gear, add some throttle, and as the clutch is stating to let out, release the brake with the left hand and add throttle as needed. Practice in a steep driveway first. Caution: make sure you release the brake, and not the hood, as it's just under the brake release and hard to see with an ebony interior.

I heard a rumor that for 2010 the FE3/MT6 3.6 DI combo may come with the CTS-V's electronic parking brake, which includes a very handy hill-holder feature. If that's the case, it might be worth the wait

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I had to do just such a thing a few times, and it can be done. Set the parking brake, then when ready, put the car in gear, add some throttle, and as the clutch is stating to let out, release the brake with the left hand and add throttle as needed. Practice in a steep driveway first. Caution: make sure you release the brake, and not the hood, as it's just under the brake release and hard to see with an ebony interior.

I heard a rumor that for 2010 the FE3/MT6 3.6 DI combo may come with the CTS-V's electronic parking brake, which includes a very handy hill-holder feature. If that's the case, it might be worth the wait
That's exactly how to do it.
Good news on the electronic parking brake. Hope it is not just a rumor!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts