Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS sedan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 2012 CTS base 3.0
now my question is the homelink universal garage door opener...
i guess my car does NOT have one. not a big deal, but has anyone purchased the assembly and installed it?

thanks
-mike

·
Registered
2012 CTS, thunder grey chromaflair
120 Posts
i guess my car does NOT have one. not a big deal, but has anyone purchased the assembly and installed it?
It doesn't look like an easy addition. Homelink buttons, unlike many other cars that are built in the rear view mirror, these buttons are on the ceiling panel together with sunroof, etc.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts

thanks
-mike
Mike,

Others have done the conversion by using one purchased from a salvage yard. Do a search, it's here.

Marv

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
I have friend that retrofitted a Homelink kit in his car, the electronics are self-contained, it is a matter of installing it where you can and getting power to it. I have also seen it done with the visor type, same issue, get power to it. The kits usually come with a connector to tap into power somewhere else.

·
Registered
2012 CTS sedan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, the kit i fould on ebay has the tap/connectors to the a 12v and ground.
i was thinking of tapping into the onstar rear view mirror. the module should fit in the overhead console.
should be a straight forward install. $150 is a bit pricey for the kit, but it should look like a factory install when done.

thanks
-mike

·
Registered
2012 CTS sedan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i went with a homelink unit i found off ebay for $30.
job was pretty simple. all you need to do is trim the plastic fascia panel to accept the home link faceplate
the inside switch brackets needed to be modified to make room for the homelike electronics box, but since i dont have a sun roof i didnt have those switches to get into the way.
then find a hot wire (i used one of the courtesy dome/map lights hot wire and a ground. worked like a champ.
looks almost stock (i know its not the correct part.... but i dont think too many folks would notice)
overall on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd rate this mod a 3... need to trim and fit the parts and find a hot 12v wire, other than that its pretty straight forward.

2015-05-16 15.41.52.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts