Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a first time owner of a 2002 Deville with 34k miles. I've noticed that while turning, the steering wheel seems to drag or stutter. I've seen other threads where there's been an audible clicking noise while turning, but I don't experience that. Is this normal, i.e. related to tracking?

Also, is there a way to find out the history of my vehicle, in particular the warranty service? My car is a former rental in good/excellent condition, but I'm concerned about what may have happened with such a high number of drivers to this vehicle.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2007 SRX
42 Posts
I can only speak from my own experience with my 2001 DeVille DTS. I had steering problems unrelated to the symptoms you describe, however the Cadillac dealership told me that someone had replaced the correct GM power steering fluid with transmission fluid, and that this error had damaged the seals in both the power steering pump and the steering gear. Bottom line is the system had to be flushed and both the pump and gear replaced. You may recall that 20 or 30 years ago, automatic transmission fluid was often used in power steering pumps. Hopefully, some dope at the rent a car place didn't do this to your car. The problems you are experiencing seem to be related to the power steering pump, but 34K seems a little soon to be replacing these parts from normal wear. I hope this would be a "worst case scenario." The possibility also exists that the dealership was b.s.ing me and unecessarily replaced these parts as a revenue generator, as it did not correct my initial problem, which was play in the steering wheel. The service writer had told me that the introduction of transmission fluid into current model power steering pumps would almost "instantaneously" cause damage to the seals in any of the steering components that come in contact with the fluid. Someone with more knowledge in this area may be able to affirm or dispute this. He also told me that the steering gear was "binding" as a result of this.

Regarding obtaining a service history, any Cadillac dealership as a courtesy (if they want your business) should be able to print out a full service history just by inputing the VIN into their system. The history will include date and time the vehicle went into service, name of the original selling dealership, and all of the warranty work conducted on the vehicle at any dealership. It goes without saying that this history will not include any work done at independent shops.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
rappaport said:
Hi all, I'm a first time owner of a 2002 Deville with 34k miles. I've noticed that while turning, the steering wheel seems to drag or stutter. I've seen other threads where there's been an audible clicking noise while turning, but I don't experience that. Is this normal, i.e. related to tracking?

Also, is there a way to find out the history of my vehicle, in particular the warranty service? My car is a former rental in good/excellent condition, but I'm concerned about what may have happened with such a high number of drivers to this vehicle.

Thanks for any help!
You can go to www.mygmlink.com and sign up with the VIN of your car and it will populate the maintenance history of your car and show you what maintenance is due/overdue/upcoming. You can add maintenance items manually if you work on the car yourself. I think they want you to somehow prove that the VIN belongs to you when you sign up, but once that's done, any maintenance that's done at a dealership shows up in your maintenance history automatically. (at least it did for me)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I used Carfax before I bought the car, but it doesn't list the service history or recall information. I've applied at GMlink a couple of weeks ago, but still haven't got anything back. Maybe because I bought the car at a non-GM dealer?

I'm going to take the car in for the steering issue and will ask for a history then. After what they charged me for a navigation unit install, they owe me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts