Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. I'm a long time Allante owner and a few years ago also purchased an Eldorado... which I believe to be the finest road car manufactured in the USA.

Formerly I was a fighter-pilot in the USAF and later a commercial pilot as well. Pretty much been in aviation all my life, and as such, have a fine appreciation for well-designed, beautiful machines.

A San Diego native, I recently bought a place in Valdosta, GA to be near my kids & grand kids.

I am a bachelor, travel a great deal, and adore the time I have with my family.

Hope to enjoy chats with y'all, as we say in Gawja... cheers to all.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Yes, welcome to CadillacForums! Nice pair, the Allante and the Eldo. You pilots sure know how to live. :D

Did you have much of a culture shock moving from San Diego to Valdosta?? :bonkers:

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Hello misty145

Welcome to Cadillacforums! Tell me more about your Allante. There is a National Allante Meet in Memphis in September. I hope you can make it over for some good times and BBQ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allante North * said:
Hello misty145

Welcome to Cadillacforums! Tell me more about your Allante. There is a National Allante Meet in Memphis in September. I hope you can make it over for some good times and BBQ.
Thanks for the kind welcome.
My Allante was purchased in San Diego in December of '97. I'd just returned from living in Holland, needed a car, and spotted the Allante sitting in a driveway... with a "for sale" sign in the window?
Loved it and bought the car before even a test drive, which blew the fella's mind. It was burgundy/burgundy, in fine shape and only had 58,000 miles on it?
For years I drove it on a daily basis until little problems began to creep up... like, tail lights filling with water, major brake problems, and a series of small, but nagging, electrical problems. Slowly we've repaired & changed everything, but it's been down for about 6-months following ignition switch problems, which can only be fixed by going into the steering column... which has produced ongoing a/c, cruise control, and other electrical difficulties. This is NOT a car for the fainthearted!
Should be running again sometime this next week?
(You can easily understand why I have the Eldo as backup??)

In 2001 I had the machine repainted, a new top installed, and the seats recovered in a leather/suede-like material. Looks great.

Fortunately, my son loves to tinker with cars, and wants the car someday... so, he's become expert with the Allante; even replaced both door window motors... a tough task!

If you buy an Allante you'll definitely need the factory maintenance manual... for sure!

But, it is indeed a beautiful machine... and great fun to drive. Most folks don't know the chassis was shipped to Italy where the Farina people did all the body/coachwork, then the car was flown back via 747 in a special container, i.e., the high price, which many feel, killed this fine car. (Think it was in the $60-70K range in 1987???)

May try for Memphis. Am a member of AAG, but have never made it to an Allante Meet?

Again... thanks... and cheers, Misty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the Sandman said:
Yes, welcome to CadillacForums! Nice pair, the Allante and the Eldo. You pilots sure know how to live. :D

Did you have much of a culture shock moving from San Diego to Valdosta?? :bonkers:
Not really. Had been a frequent visitor here, visiting my two sons and grand kids. Both my boys wanted me closer for the g-kids, and I wanted out of the (a) mob scene in SD, and (b) the Calif. tax situation, so it wasn't all that tough.

Had just returned from living in Holland and found my old home town slowly turning into another LA... ugh. (Sleepy "little" San Diego is now the 7th largest city in the USA with over 7-million???)
Actually, Valdosta is a lovely little city... lots to do... and it's close to Florida, which I've grown quite fond of as an occasional tourist down there.

Plus, I have the benefit of spending tons of time with my five grand kids, whom I just adore.

Life is good here in the deep south.

Cheers... Misty

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome aboard!!! And thanks for signing up!!!

I love the allantes...... I can always pick them up out of the corner of my eye......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elwesso said:
Welcome aboard!!! And thanks for signing up!!!

I love the allantes...... I can always pick them up out of the corner of my eye......

Yeah, the Allante is an eye-catching machine.

Complicated, but definitely a good looking car!

Thanks... Misty

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
misty145 said:
Yeah, the Allante is an eye-catching machine.

Complicated, but definitely a good looking car!

Thanks... Misty

Welcome Misty, to Jawja! I live SW of Savannah and drive a 95 SLS with 138K but still hauls butt. Valdosta is a nice town and our interstates are smooth and Fast. You will like living in Georgia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts