Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1999 STS about weeks ago and I've been creeping the forums for a week or so, anywho I've got a few problems... First and most annoying is the fuel gauge, If the car is sitting for a few hours and I turn the key on it will tell me how much gas I have, but as soon as I start it up, it says I have a full tank no matter how much gas I have. I plan on trying the Chevron Techron, but I have a feeling it may not work. It's got a few other little problems that I'm figuring out on my own, like checking all the gounds and what-not. My other problem is that it keeps blowing the ECT fuse a few times a week. I just cleaned the ground to that fuse box, so I'm hoping that will solve the problem. My blower motor makes a TERRIBLE noise, like a air plane trying to take off. None of my heated seats work (front or back.) The back end is a little saggy, and I've never heard my air compressor kick in. When the car is cold and I start it up, it makes a god awful noise that sounds like it's coming out of one of the speakers on the dash? My radio doesn't like to save my equilizer settings either. I'm hoping these are all easy fixes.... (and the car has 150k miles) If you have any ideas as to what will fix/help them please LET ME KNOW!! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
31 Posts
There are a few problems I might me able to help you with.
1. I think the God awful noise you are reffering to is coming from a little 1 sq.in. speaker grill looking thing to the left of the steering wheel in the dash. I've been told that's a little fan that sucks in air to get the temperature in the car so the blower can blow cold or warm accordingly. I have heard that many of them do that and fixing it is $$$. I decided to live with it. It still works, it's just noisy.

2. I have heard the heated seats notoriously go out and are $$$ to fix. I don't really ever use mine anyway.

3. Sounds like your compressor and rear shocks are toast. Replacing them with oem can be around $2K! I switched over to Strutmasters all around and am very happy with the performance. If I remember correctly the rears cost around $300 for the pair.

I'm not sure about your other problems.

·
Registered
1999 STS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never really use the heated seats, but I would like to have them working. And I guess I'll be dealing with the saggy butt haha. I may look into getting strutmasters, but right now it's not that noticible at all. And The noise is deffinatly coming from the top of the dash toward the left speaker, it kinda sounds like a air compressor running, but I know it's not.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)
968 Posts
For the fuel gauge its the fuel level sensor, you can try the Chevron Techron but it didn't help mine. I just got a whole new fuel pump assembly from Rockauto, less than $100. It's the Airtex one so go and grab that and have it replaced. Supposedly it easy to replace, can be done by lifting up the carpet in the trunk and a little hatch should be there for easy access, need to bring it to my shop soon.

I'm sure you have a C1738 code for the ride level sensor since you don't hear the pump kicking in. Mine is burnt out too :( I just live with the lower rear end

·
Registered
1999 STS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Less than 100 for a whole new fuel pump assembly? I might be buying one of those next week. And I don't like to mess with all that suspension junk so I'll just live with the saggy butt.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)
968 Posts
Yeah much better deal and this way you know the whole assembly is brand new....looks like our 99 STS's got 2 things in common lol

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
184 Posts
When I first bought my car neither of the front heated seats worked. The car was still under warranty, so the dealer fixed it. They told me it was an easy fix. You just peel back the leather cover and then you should see a few wires that heat the seat. After people have entered and exited the vehicle, the wires become torn.

If I remember correctly, the dealer said all they did was "twist-tie" the wires back together, and they have worked ever since.

Someone chime in if this was just a dream I had or what, but I believe that is all it took to fix the front heated seats.

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
184 Posts
When I first bought my car neither of the front heated seats worked. The car was still under warranty, so the dealer fixed it. They told me it was an easy fix. You just peel back the leather cover and then you should see a few wires that heat the seat. After people have entered and exited the vehicle, the wires become torn.

If I remember correctly, the dealer said all they did was "twist-tie" the wires back together, and they have worked ever since.

Someone chime in if this was just a dream I had or what, but I believe that is all it took to fix the front heated seats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts