Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just got a 03 CTS with a Sport Luxury package last week. It has only 36000 kms on it. I drove a '95 Impala SS before so this is quite a downgrading in size but I like the CTS very much. It gets more looks than the Impala did, I didn't expect it. But then, being in Europe, there are not too many of them running around.

I have a couple of questions though. First, one of the large knobs on the Navi system has been damaged, the black coating is peeling off. I'd like to get a new one, but I don't know the part number.

Second, I'd like to install a third party CD changer that's capable of playing mp3 discs. I found some, and they should be connected to the car's FM antenna. Is it hard to do, e.g. is it needed to disassemble the car to the bone or can it be done fairly easily?

Third, is it possible to disable the bloody chime? It drives me crazy! It's too loud (even though it's set to Normal in the personalization menu) and too annoying.

Thanks,

Gabor

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
:welcome:to the Forum Gabor. :yup: :D :bouncy:

You from England by chance? Bloody is a common English term.

Can't help you with your Nav unit since I don't have one. Tomm & Odysseus are the resident experts on this.

I think the "Chime" does have a couple of settings that can be programmed. I'm with you and hate idiot noises and lights. I once had a car that all the commands were given by a lovely woman's voice. She would get me excited when she said, "You door is a jar." :bouncy:

We have a lot of members from other countries; Sweden, Japan, Canada, Porto Rico and California.:p

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
WELCOME!:thumbsup: You can adjust the sound by going into the settings on the head unit, if I remember correctly you have a loud and a soft setting for the chime. Just consult your owners manual to get to the right location

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm from Hungary, but you're right, 'bloody' comes from watching a lot of Monty Python's Flying Circus which is very British indeed. ;)

The chime is already set to the softest stage but it's still too much for me. One of my friends had a late eighties Caddy with a mechanical chime - now that was something I call prestige. But this digitized sound is awful.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
gaboka said:
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm from Hungary, but you're right, 'bloody' comes from watching a lot of Monty Python's Flying Circus which is very British indeed. ;)

The chime is already set to the softest stage but it's still too much for me. One of my friends had a late eighties Caddy with a mechanical chime - now that was something I call prestige. But this digitized sound is awful.
Your written english is very good. How did that come about?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It's going to be hard to install an aftermarket headunit that is capable of playing MP3's since the DIC is integrated into the stock radio. Search the forum and you will find a few posts regarding this.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Your written english is very good. How did that come about?
I agree. It's better than some of the native American/English speaking members on this forum. :p :hide:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
gaboka said:
First, one of the large knobs on the Navi system has been damaged, the black coating is peeling off. I'd like to get a new one, but I don't know the part number.
If its under warranty Cadillac will swap the radio because of the flaking knobs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks guys for praising my English, it's really nice of you. I don't know how it all came, but I have learned the language for about 10 years. And I watched a lot of movies and TV in original language.

As for warranty, they gave 2 years / 60,000 kms for the 03 model if I'm right. I bought it in Germany. There's only one dealer in Hungary for Cadillac and Corvette, in Budapest, of course. They just introduced the brands here about a month ago.

Good idea about trying to replace the knob under warranty. I'll check with the dealer here.

About the CD changer: it uses the radio antenna to transfer the signal. You tune your radio to the frequency you set on the changer and listen to it. There's a separate controller for the changer. I just wonder if it's hard to access the antenna wire as I need to connect to it with a T-joint.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome!
You might want to check out Crutchfield.
Their prices are not bargains, but they have vehicle specific harnessess and adapters that can make things extremely easy. Additionally, they have step by step instructions that are detailed, and phone/email service that's top notch.
I purchased an integrated Nav sytem for my Acura to replace the bose 6 disc head unit, and they had an adapter that allowed me to keep the stock speakers.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
RobertCTS said:
We have a lot of members from other countries; Sweden, Japan, Canada, Porto Rico and California.:p
California.....????That was funny!:) Good one Bob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts