Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
None
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post :) familiar with the corvette world but am considering a cts-v as a dd/family car. Of course that doesn't mean I won't take care of it I'll actually spend more time on it If I purchase it. Besides asking the obvious and being told to search (been reading the last few days).. I have a few mod questions ..

1. Is there any steering wheel from gm or any aftermarket wheel that can replace the factory that is commonly done ? The oem wheel looks like a bus wheel and is ine of the reasons I get turned off this car.

2. Do the oem headlights come apart easy? Silver is my favorite color but the Black headlights I'm not a fan of.

I guess lastly any opinions or inputs are appreciated on what to look out for. I'm a DIY person so I'm not worried about minor /regular maintenance items.. Only major like trans/diff (I've asked if its been serviced or repaired/replaced under warranty at all and will check gm records when I get the vin).:)

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
1. Not that I know of. I've never seen anyone put on a different steering wheel. Some folks have gotten the stock wheel recovered in suede, but that's about it.

2. I don't know. Not sure what you mean by black headlights. Maybe the car has aftermarket lights on it?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
... am considering a cts-v as a dd/family car ...
If I was considering an '04, other than the normal stuff, my primary focus would be the diff. If it's been updated, then your attention should be all about normal used-car stuff.

Good luck!

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,098 Posts
If my experience is anything to go by, you want a car that was previously CPO, because you have the best chance of big AND little things being replaced in the car's first 100k miles and 5 years. I bought mine with 97k in 2010 with a small amount of the LCPO warranty left, and I had a few small things done. The previous owner had a bit of a service history during his LCPO time, as well. If you look at the list, the only things that were done that I've had to do in almost 5 years and 19k of driving was front anti-roll bar bushings and a TPMS sensor. The only new thing that broke in that time was the starter. You could argue one of the engine mounts was getting bad but I voluntarily replaced mine (which is when I did the starter).

The rest of the things I did were either admittedly gratuitous under the LCPO, or "mods."

Buying a car at this point in the depreciation curve is the best thing you could possibly do, even if you DO have to spend a bit on maintenance. It's not terrible if you do it yourself.

Is there even a cheaper way of owning a 4 door sedan with 400hp from the factory, especially with a manual trans (new or used)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts