Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 94 DeVille Basic (Mary Kay pink) (75,000 miles) a month ago - we have gone on several short trips (under 200 miles).

There seem to be no major flaws with the car. Yet I have no idea what maintenance was done over the past 10 years.

The only complaint we ahve is that the seat foam is either bagged or too firm - not near as plush as we expected. We are getting two "memory foam" seat cushions for the trip ($30 CDN at a foam upholstry shop) that are 3" thick, conform to ones backside, and are great. We just bought a memory foam mattress 3 months ago - having the best sleep of our lives.........

We are planning a 2400 mile drive over the Christmas season (Canada - LasVegas, maybe Sacramento - and return)

I did not receive an owners manual with the car, but I am a driveway wrench twister.

4.9L V8

I have read SAL'S maintenance schedule - that seems excessive - most of the things I am competent to do.....

First I shall procure a factory shop manual....
But may not get one till after the trip.

Questions........

What maintenance is a must do/must check before I go on this trip??

I am doing an oil change - the oil filler cap says 10W30 - is that correct????

What is the best / recommended oil filter???

I am changing the air filter -

What is the best / recommended air filter???

What about transmission fluid???? Should it be changed???
What need I look for when checking it????
(The car drives great and the tranny pulls well at all temps(-20 to melting) and speeds...)

Also - what is used to lubricate rubber bushings????

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I'll go in order....

10w30 should be just fine...

Basically any filter is fine, but Fram is good.. Cant go wrong with ACdelco, though....

Air filter- again, cant go wrong with ACdelco, but Id just go and get a filter from autzone or whatever (like a fram or purolator)

Tranny fluid should be done with caution... Inspect the fluid before you start replacing it, as sometimes you can kill the tranny by changing the fluid... If the fluid is brown and smells like burning, it may not be real safe to change it...... If the fluid is good and it shifts good, Id change the fluid and filter......

Lithium grease should do fine for rubber parts, I think.... Im sure multipurpose grease would be fine too.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I also meant to ask about spark plugs -

ACDelco????

What about platinums????

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
elwesso said:
I'll go in order....

10w30 should be just fine...

Basically any filter is fine, but Fram is good.. Cant go wrong with ACdelco, though....

Air filter- again, cant go wrong with ACdelco, but Id just go and get a filter from autzone or whatever (like a fram or purolator)

Tranny fluid should be done with caution... Inspect the fluid before you start replacing it, as sometimes you can kill the tranny by changing the fluid... If the fluid is brown and smells like burning, it may not be real safe to change it...... If the fluid is good and it shifts good, Id change the fluid and filter......

Lithium grease should do fine for rubber parts, I think.... Im sure multipurpose grease would be fine too.....
I don't like Fram oil filters, they use cardboard end caps.... I use ACDelco on my car...

my questions is with the tranny, Wes, why do you say is is good sometimes not to change the fluid?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well this has been very evident here...

When the fluid is basically worthless (turned into varnish), there is a lot of crap biult up into the tranny.. ATF has a LOT of detergents in it (to keep the tranny clean)... When you replace the tranny fluid, you can sorta SHOCK the system and it can clog up little itty bitty passages in the valve body and essentially roast the internals.... However, sometimes it wont do this...... If I were to do it, I might recommend doing a full chemical flush to be sure to get out everything, plus a pan drop and replace the filter....

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yeah, my fluid level is good, still nice and red, dosn't smell or anything, but next Spring, I am gonna get the fluid and filter changed.... going with Mobil 1 synthetic tho....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yes, M1 synthetic is the best..... I heard that just by switching to that you can drop you tranny fluid temp upto 10 degrees! How golden is that??? :golden:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts