Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the wheels on my 2006 STS V8 AWD. Currently the wheels are 235/50R18 on the front and 255/45ZR18 on the rear. I am having a heck of a time finding replacement wheels with the rims wider in the rear. The local tire guy told me he could find 4 new rims all the same and recommended that I go with the 235/50R18 all the way around. I'm worried about different wheels/tires on the rear screwing up the AWD gearing. Can anybody tell me if its ok to go with the same tires and rims all the way around? Please forgive me if this question has previously been asked but I couldn't find anything on it in the forum. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
The wheels are the same size, and you will be fine to run the same tire size all the way around as some other guys on here have done so with seemingly no problems, but there is a reason GM decided to run the staggered tire size (most likely for small performance reasons).
Also, tire size doesn't necessarily reflect wheel size, some people fit narrow tires on wider wheels (stupid look IMO, but doable).
My point being that you don't need to worry so much about it, just get some wheels which are 18×8 bolt pattern 5×115 and you'll be good. You can go with different sized wheels if you want also but you'll have to adjust the tire size accordingly.

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
I need to replace the wheels on my 2006 STS V8 AWD. Currently the wheels are 235/50R18 on the front and 255/45ZR18 on the rear. I am having a heck of a time finding replacement wheels with the rims wider in the rear. The local tire guy told me he could find 4 new rims all the same and recommended that I go with the 235/50R18 all the way around. I'm worried about different wheels/tires on the rear screwing up the AWD gearing. Can anybody tell me if its ok to go with the same tires and rims all the way around? Please forgive me if this question has previously been asked but I couldn't find anything on it in the forum. Thanks for any help.
You should be fine, we have 09 cts4 all 4 tires 235/50zr18.That is what the sticker in my front door says to replace tires with you don't need zr thats for over 150mph. Most all cts come with all 4 tires the same except some different packages come staggered.
l didn't know they would put staggered rims on factory awd. Must not be much difference in circumference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheels are the same size, and you will be fine to run the same tire size all the way around as some other guys on here have done so with seemingly no problems, but there is a reason GM decided to run the staggered tire size (most likely for small performance reasons).
Also, tire size doesn't necessarily reflect wheel size, some people fit narrow tires on wider wheels (stupid look IMO, but doable).
My point being that you don't need to worry so much about it, just get some wheels which are 18×8 bolt pattern 5×115 and you'll be good. You can go with different sized wheels if you want also but you'll have to adjust the tire size accordingly.
THANKS MUCH!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be fine, we have 09 cts4 all 4 tires 235/50zr18.That is what the sticker in my front door says to replace tires with you don't need zr thats for over 150mph. Most all cts come with all 4 tires the same except some different packages come staggered.
l didn't know they would put staggered rims on factory awd. Must not be much difference in circumference.
I WAS JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE AWD GEARING AS THOSE ARE THE ORIGINAL SIZES FROM THE FACTORY. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

·
Registered
2007 STS4 4.6
31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
@MIKELEE2007 I sent you a PM. I can't recommend highly enough a reputable wheel shop for your bent wheel. Some of those guys do really excellent work on wheels you would think are done for.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,047 Posts
Next time I need front tires I am doing 255 to match the rears. Pretty sure they just did it to dial in some understeer.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,361 Posts
Next time I need front tires I am doing 255 to match the rears. Pretty sure they just did it to dial in some understeer.
When I bought mine, the 255s were up front and the 235s in the back. Some idiot rotated them without noticing they were staggered!

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
Was on CARiD and it looks like they do have some of the 9 spoke wheels. Apparently the finish differs a little bit between some of them, but worst case scenario you can get them refinished. They will be more expensive than just getting some old wheels (yours or from a yard) refurbished, but I highly doubt you would ever find ANY new factory wheels, so to me there is no difference other than price.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There's supposedly one factory wheel still available from GM
WHEEL

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
@LsGsSTS Those are the 20 spoke though
Yeah, I know he'd need a full set. Just pointing out an option. I love those rims and wish I would have known about them before I bought my Milannis (although I prolly still wouldn't have spent that much)

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
They do look nicer than many factory wheel options, for sure. I'm looking at some Milanni wheels right now also, although Versante and DAI are on the list. I believe the factory wheels are around 25 pounds, so I'm having a hard time justifying getting heavier wheels. A couple pounds won't make that much of a difference though, and the DAI wheels look excellent, in my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts