Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have to replace one of the bearings on the front (2005 SRX 3.6 AWD).
I'm looking for some info before purchasing one.
It is possible to get just the bearing (and keep the old hub) ? What bearing series they use?Do they even sell bearings as a unit for it?
Or should I get one of the wheel bearing hub assembly ?
Are there any of these not made in china? I think bearings made in china are a ....avoid scenario

Timken? SKF? Moog? ACDELCO ?
any of these not made in china?
Looking to get one from rockauto.com

thank you

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Complete assy. only, Timkin I bought, from Korea. Just get from reliable source.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thought on the design for the wheel hub assy. Very poor design, who makes the outer ring to be milled straight on the hub? The steel for the "outer ring" is very weak, not something that a wheel bearing ring should be (tested that with a hand metal rasper, boy...you can grind though the outer ring like ...regular steel ). Don't what they were thinking when designing this one...just another design failure like replacing the turn signal in the bumper....

·
Registered
SRX'05 4.6L
235 Posts
The reliable ones are AC Delco, Timken and SKF, others failed quickly on my car. Did my research :) Moog is not Chinese but speed sensor failed quickly.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
Its unlikely the outer race is not hardened as it would fail in about 100 feet, there is probably an outer race you cant see inside the hub.

Also because you can file it does not make it weak, just means you can file it....

·
Registered
2005 SRX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its unlikely the outer race is not hardened as it would fail in about 100 feet, there is probably an outer race you cant see inside the hub.

Also because you can file it does not make it weak, just means you can file it....
You are right, I took apart the hub and they use the surface hardening technique (surface cimentation)
The car has 50k miles and faulty hub? comon GM; for example I own a 2001 ford mustang (not many miles), only 81k and no bearing issue.
The srx is 2005.

·
Registered
SRX'05 4.6L
235 Posts
SRX is a heavy car on a light passenger platform. Thus the problem with the hubs on which it stands. The same problem at Infiniti FX.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
I did front hubs on almost all of my GMC 1/2 tons at the 80km mark so I think it is just the service life of them.

I wonder if the life is longer on a 2WD vs AWD?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts