Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS Sedan 2.0 Luxury/Brembo Package
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a Cadillac site but please indulge me. The new Corvette is a technological wonder in both form & function especially from Stingray & up. The Vette is VERY fast and agile as any Corvette should B. However every time I look @ it I'm reminded of a Lambo or a Ferrari. Has it strayed too far from its Corvette Roots? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
677 Posts
I like the mechanics of this new Vette but I’m not sure the cockpit accommodates large or tall people. The passenger side looks very narrow. I also don’t like (any) of the cars that have a large boxy info screen that pops up or stays up interferring with the dash contours. All dash lights including the info screen should be able to be muted as well. It’s nice that they have cubbys fore and aft for storage but the rear boot will get very hot. It got hot in the trunk of my C6 too. Styling is great except for the rear. That really needs some rounding off, far too many edges back there. Square exhaust tips can go away too. I don’t see how any mid engined car cant keep from (looking like a Ferrari). Fairly well equipped base model in the mid $70s isn’t bad at all in comparison (if) I can fit. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the mechanics of this new Vette but I’m not sure the cockpit accommodates large or tall people. The passenger side looks very narrow. I also don’t like (any) of the cars that have a large boxy info screen that pops up or stays up interferring with the dash contours. All dash lights including the info screen should be able to be muted as well. It’s nice that they have cubbys fore and aft for storage but the rear boot will get very hot. It got hot in the trunk of my C6 too. Styling is great except for the rear. That really needs some rounding off, far too many edges back there. Square exhaust tips can go away too. I don’t see how any mid engined car cant keep from (looking like a Ferrari). Fairly well equipped base model in the mid $70s isn’t bad at all in comparison (if) I can fit. :D
I totally agree. My main complaint would B the departure from the round tail lights & the idea of a mid engine Vette. I STILL prefer the old C6. I was also @the Vette museum when they first unveiled the Blue Devil ZR1. Fantastic? A timeless classic.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,716 Posts
Having sat in four different C8s at this point, I can tell you that if you fit in a C7, you will have more room in a C8 in every direction.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,716 Posts
I totally agree. My main complaint would B the departure from the round tail lights & the idea of a mid engine Vette. I STILL prefer the old C6. I was also @the Vette museum when they first unveiled the Blue Devil ZR1. Fantastic? A timeless classic.
Resident Vette guy here.

Duntov wanted to go mid-engine in the 1960s. It finally happened, and the car is better for it. I'm sad about the lack of a manual, but that's just a sign of the times we live in. Go sit in one - you will be impressed.

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS, 2004 CTS 3.2 5 Spd, 2000 Deville
118 Posts
I’ve sat in two, and agree it feels roomier than the C7. I think it looks great. I too wish it had a manual, but overall I think GM did a great job. I’ve got an old 02 convertible with the M6 and Z51 which i plan to keep forever. C7 will be next for me, C8 is a long way off for my garage, but I can envision one being there someday.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts
I like the exterior for the most part and the mid-engine design.. But, the interior sucks. The console is a big take away. The seats are comfortable but I felt I was sitting in a bucket.
I will style with my 08 LS3 C6. I just wish I had kept my 82 also.

·
Registered
19,716 Posts
Yeah the console is definitely different. I'm not a massive fan of its layout because I think it separates you too much from the passenger.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
708 Posts
Personally, I think it's beautiful and love that they made it rear engined. I'm pretty bummed that there's no stick and, I get it, not enough people buy them to make it worth developing. What bugs me is that because of the cooky cockpit design, it's almost impossible to retrofit a manual into it. Would have been a fun YouTube series to watch in a few years.

Besides that, love the car and am excited that there could be a flat-plane crank version coming as well. What surprises me, though, is that there is only a Chevy version. I thought for sure that they would also release a Cadillac version with the hot-V Blackwing V8 in it. Being a hot-V, they could easily pipe the exhaust out the top, though that could get tough if they added a couple of turbos. Anyway, basically the same car that they could charge $150,000+ for seemed like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
599 Posts
It's a great performer, and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. The Corvette has been taken to new heights, going midengine is a big step. In doing this, however, it has kind of reclassified itself as an exotic and no longer a sportscar...it's just a different tier now. All that said the car doesn't really say Corvette to me anymore, and not because it's midengine and it's automatic only, but more because of the looks and proportions. I feel like with each generation there has been less and less design DNA in it that makes me think of it as a Corvette.

The bigger problem imo is the exterior design, personally I find it ugly, and perhaps more paramount, generic. I remember when it first came out someone jokingly said that it looked like a car in GTA, where they knock off the looks from a real life counterpart or combination thereof, and I agree. The front just looks like something that was done 10 years ago and the back is just...what the heck is happening there. Look at a front three quarter view and the rear haunches are massive, with these skinny wheels that are also sunk a bit and it just looks silly, especially if it's the base model. It's like GM did not realize just how wide that part of the body was going to end up being, and didn't know how to do manipulate the body lines or sculpt it to make it look good. Speaking of the base model, the wheel design on the base is so awful, the offset is way too high and they are not nearly wide enough. That giant side vent accent panel is way to large too, very awkward design element.

The interior is cool, only thing I don't like is the screen sticking up out of the dash. This is a current trend in automotive interior design and it absolutely kills an interior for me. Screens always look better integrated, always. And I get that doing that with larger screens can be challenging, but hey, figure it out. Some manufacturers have, so it's doable.

Do I hate it? No, and maybe ugly is a strong word. But it's pretty uninspiring to me. Take my opinion for what you will though, as I'm pretty apathetic toward it anyway because I just see Corvettes constantly everywhere, I would never buy one just because they are so common. But there is no denying that the performance bang for the buck is amazing, and that's all some people care about. Either way the car will do well and it will be considered a success, on paper at least.

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
I like the exterior for the most part and the mid-engine design.. But, the interior sucks. The console is a big take away. The seats are comfortable but I felt I was sitting in a bucket.
I will style with my 08 LS3 C6. I just wish I had kept my 82 also.
Yeah the console is definitely different. I'm not a massive fan of its layout because I think it separates you too much from the passenger.
That seems to be "a thing" in contemporary designers' heads, and they are apparently popular for that cocoon feel. It reminded me of "spaceship mission control cockpits" of the '70's with the deeply slanted side panels on the driver's dash --- you know HVAC controls next to the door and radio controls that the passenger couldn't see, or reach.

I rented an Escalade on business and first thing I noticed was, "never effing buying one of these." The console was so tall and thick the wife and I would have to throw notes across to each other. And holding hands would give one of us a dislocated shoulder. Yecchh.

But the car? Mid-eng is overdue by only 20+ years, so that's finally nice to see. But a shame if forced to wait the customary 8-12 years for the next body retooling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a great performer, and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. The Corvette has been taken to new heights, going midengine is a big step. In doing this, however, it has kind of reclassified itself as an exotic and no longer a sportscar...it's just a different tier now. All that said the car doesn't really say Corvette to me anymore, and not because it's midengine and it's automatic only, but more because of the looks and proportions. I feel like with each generation there has been less and less design DNA in it that makes me think of it as a Corvette.

The bigger problem imo is the exterior design, personally I find it ugly, and perhaps more paramount, generic. I remember when it first came out someone jokingly said that it looked like a car in GTA, where they knock off the looks from a real life counterpart or combination thereof, and I agree. The front just looks like something that was done 10 years ago and the back is just...what the heck is happening there. Look at a front three quarter view and the rear haunches are massive, with these skinny wheels that are also sunk a bit and it just looks silly, especially if it's the base model. It's like GM did not realize just how wide that part of the body was going to end up being, and didn't know how to do manipulate the body lines or sculpt it to make it look good. Speaking of the base model, the wheel design on the base is so awful, the offset is way too high and they are not nearly wide enough. That giant side vent accent panel is way to large too, very awkward design element.

The interior is cool, only thing I don't like is the screen sticking up out of the dash. This is a current trend in automotive interior design and it absolutely kills an interior for me. Screens always look better integrated, always. And I get that doing that with larger screens can be challenging, but hey, figure it out. Some manufacturers have, so it's doable.

Do I hate it? No, and maybe ugly is a strong word. But it's pretty uninspiring to me. Take my opinion for what you will though, as I'm pretty apathetic toward it anyway because I just see Corvettes constantly everywhere, I would never buy one just because they are so common. But there is no denying that the performance bang for the buck is amazing, and that's all some people care about. Either way the car will do well and it will be considered a success, on paper at least.
I have to 100% agree. I think GM has sacrificed the classic lines of the Vette on the Alter of big profits. More than a few people told me they saw a Ferrari but I said no its a Corvette. That speaks volumes to me when someone can no longer recognize a Corvette. It just looks too European to me and not enough American. B4 you know it GM will release a Porsche "Clone."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts