Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
none now, but will look at CT5. 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. Former 14 ATS 3.6
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Articles are popping up about GM's next-generation 3.6L V6 and 8-speed transmission from the CT6 being offered in the 2016 ATS and CTS. It will now offer 335 hp and 284 lb ft of torque. Add in the 8-speed and I suspect the ATS will now compete more legitimately in terms of 0-60 performance with the 335/ C400/ S4 without having to move up to the more expensive and rear-drive only ATS-V.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
It is good to see that finally the ATS is adopting the 8-speed auto. the old 6-speed was no match for what the competitors were offering. As for V-6, it is good to see it gets some upgrades, but I would not call it legitimately competing against 335 and C400 in terms of performance. Those guys have forced inducted V-6 engine and the NA v6 is no match for them.

·
Registered
18 Coupe, turbo, auto, dp,E 85,tune
825 Posts
There also is the new 3.0TT V6 with 400hp and 400tq. Hope it makes it to the ATS.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
That's a small gain in power, although every bit helps.

I'll be curious to see how the 8 speed helps. So often the extra gears are more about fuel economy, although tighter spacing can help from a roll and increase top speed. If shift times are quicker, that's an improvement. If it can shift with less TQ management, that's a help. I don't see using 3 gears for 0 to 60 mph being helpful nor does using 5 gears in 1/4 mile help unless the shifts are lightening quick and shifted w/o cutting power. Improved shift times could be done with the six speed if they wanted.

A 400 HP V6 would be sweet. It would be nice to see something slot in between the current V6 and V that didn't break the bank. I like NA and a bigger bore V6 with 375 HP and 320 ft-lbs with the premium's MRC and wheels would make a great street car if the motor upgrade only added a $2k. Or maybe a small V8 with 400 HP. Oh well, that's not going to happen since the CAFE is forcing the use of smaller boosted motors.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium
48 Posts
Very excited that they'll still be offering a NON turbo V6 option into the future!! Yeah Cadillac for not going all turbo in your engine line up like so many other luxury auto makers. And the new auto transmission should be sweet!

·
Registered
none now, but will look at CT5. 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. Former 14 ATS 3.6
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently read an article on the Escalade new 8-speed vs 6-speed. The 8-speed did 0-60 in 5.6 sec vs the 6-speed's 6.1, a half-second gain. This was with the exact same engine, no 14-hp gain like with the ATS.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
I've seen a best 5.4 0-60 for the 3.6 ATS. If the new 8 sp and hp gain give similar results that the Escalade got, sub 5 second times are probable. That will make it extremely competitive against the German triplets.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,404 Posts
Thought this was interesting -

The deactivated cylinders are the forward-most cylinder on the left bank, and the rear-most one on the right, for V-4 operation, which we’re assured is imperceptible.
Compared to GM’s current Gen 3 V-6, there’s a 9-percent gain in fuel efficiency plus 14 more horsepower and an additional 9 lb-ft of torque

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
The escalade really benefits from the steeper 1st gear in the 8 speed because of its mass, but the ats should benefit too. I wouldn't bank on a half second, but even .3 is nothing to sneeze at.

Just saw that 8l45 would go in the ats . Lighter than the 90, but it means more risk for modders who crank up the power significantly. The 8 speed is lighter than the six speed, another bonus.

·
Registered
'13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3
390 Posts
I've seen a best 5.4 0-60 for the 3.6 ATS. If the new 8 sp and hp gain give similar results that the Escalade got, sub 5 second times are probable. That will make it extremely competitive against the German triplets.
It still won't have the power. Bimmers are getting new, much more powerful engines. The S4 runs a 13 flat quarter. The c400 runs low 13s.

The current ATS 3.6 runs a 14 second flat quarter. With the new upgrades, I bet it does a 13.7.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It still won't have the power. Bimmers are getting new, much more powerful engines. The S4 runs a 13 flat quarter. The c400 runs low 13s.

The current ATS 3.6 runs a 14 second flat quarter. With the new upgrades, I bet it does a 13.7.
I'm very pleased to see Cadillac updating the engine/transmission of the ATS for the 2016 model year (one of its weak spots honesly), but I agree with you - the competition isn't standing still. The 2016 3 series is moving from a 335 model designation to a 340 model to reflect an upgraded engine purported to have +/- 330 HP (and we all know what they currently can do with the "reported" 300 HP).

Now, if only Cadillac will offer the new 3.0L TT as an ATS V-Sport, it might be competitive (but I see ZERO chance of that being an option given the similar output to the full ATS-V).

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,404 Posts
I'm very pleased to see Cadillac updating the engine/transmission of the ATS for the 2016 model year (one of its weak spots honesly), but I agree with you - the competition isn't standing still. The 2016 3 series is moving from a 335 model designation to a 430 model to reflect an upgraded engine purported to have +/- 330 HP (and we all know what they currently can do with the "reported" 300 HP).

Now, if only Cadillac will offer the new 3.0L TT as an ATS V-Sport, it might be competitive (but I see ZERO chance of that being an option given the similar output to the full ATS-V).
3 series is the sedan and 4 series is the coupe? I can't see them changing the 335 into a 430. I also see any power upgrade adding to the selling price.

I don't see space for the ATS V-Sport between the 3.6 ATS and the 3.6 ATS-V at the levels they are selling and the expected prices. With the V there will be 4 engines for a pretty slow selling car, not seeing a demand for engine number 5.

Personally I also have hit about the max I am willing to spend now for a daily driver I use for work and put high miles on. I have a weekend "fun" car and would take the 3.6 with increased power and an 8 speed over a more expensive 3.0TT if it cost $3k more (and they never want to give a lot more for the same amount of money). Sure if it is no charge for the turbo but don't see it happening.

·
Registered
271 Posts
3 series is the sedan and 4 series is the coupe? I can't see them changing the 335 into a 430. I also see any power upgrade adding to the selling price.

I don't see space for the ATS V-Sport between the 3.6 ATS and the 3.6 ATS-V at the levels they are selling and the expected prices. With the V there will be 4 engines for a pretty slow selling car, not seeing a demand for engine number 5.

Personally I also have hit about the max I am willing to spend now for a daily driver I use for work and put high miles on. I have a weekend "fun" car and would take the 3.6 with increased power and an 8 speed over a more expensive 3.0TT if it cost $3k more (and they never want to give a lot more for the same amount of money). Sure if it is no charge for the turbo but don't see it happening.
Typo on my iPad...corrected above. I transposed the 3 and 4...the 335 is becoming the 340 late summer.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,246 Posts
Without research, the higher perf engines in Audi, BMW, etc,
will cost more than a ATS Lux and Perf/Prem with a 3.6.

Also the imports have the higher end engines, but again
without research, 90% of those import cars I see on the road
have the smaller engines. Most of the BMWs are 328 and
most Audis are 2.0t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts