Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 V Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill start by saying I'm new to this site and a new V Coupe owner! lot of awesome info here, thanks to all! so, trying to get used to driving this beast, been a while since driving a 6 speed manual(Camaro SS was the last one). I was playing with a car that the V would have no problem with, until I downshifted into 1st from a 30ish roll and then proceeded to what seemed to be an instant loss (cut off) of power, ( i guess i redlined?) till i shifted to 2nd and flew by him again. I guess I need to turn off TC and go to competitive driving mode and put it in sport mode to play and get better results! any advice for 6 sp manual launches, other then the practice I look so forward to all summer long! looks like Ill be investing in tires often! look forward to some light mods to, starting with maybe the Eibach springs, then on to perf. mods! anyway, glad to be here! :cool2:

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Ill start by saying I'm new to this site and a new V Coupe owner! lot of awesome info here, thanks to all! so, trying to get used to driving this beast, been a while since driving a 6 speed manual(Camaro SS was the last one). I was playing with a car that the V would have no problem with, until I downshifted into 1st from a 30ish roll and then proceeded to what seemed to be an instant loss (cut off) of power, ( i guess i redlined?) till i shifted to 2nd and flew by him again. I guess I need to turn off TC and go to competitive driving mode and put it in sport mode to play and get better results! any advice for 6 sp manual launches, other then the practice I look so forward to all summer long! looks like Ill be investing in tires often! look forward to some light mods to, starting with maybe the Eibach springs, then on to perf. mods! anyway, glad to be here! :cool2:
Welcome aboard.
I would never downshift back into first at anything over 10mph... but that's me. I want my clutch to last.
Anyways, anytime i'm going to drive the car hard, i put the TC in competitive mode and the suspension in sport. If you don't turn TC off, the cars will fall on their face if it engages.

Mark.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2007 Mercedes ML63 AMG
50 Posts
Did you mean to downshift into 1st going that fast?? Sounds like you need some practice with manual transmission.

·
Registered
2011 V Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, I did mean to and yes I need practice! I realized it was not one of my better decisions! got a little overzealous in the moment. I dont want to abuse my car either, just drive it aggressivley the right way! I will be switching to competetive mode and sport mode, and practice where the good shift points will be for diff types of driving. thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
CONGRATS! Glad to have you here! All you need is some time to really learn how the car works and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
yes, I did mean to and yes I need practice! I realized it was not one of my better decisions! got a little overzealous in the moment. I dont want to abuse my car either, just drive it aggressivley the right way! I will be switching to competetive mode and sport mode, and practice where the good shift points will be for diff types of driving. thanks for the input!
Welcome goozaman! Enjoy your new coupe and drive it safely in the best of health!

I don't see that going into 1st at 30 mph will hurt anything, as long as you blipped the throttle to match the engine revs to that speed in 1st. I'd guess that you did indeed bounce off the rev limiter in 1st! Flooring it in 1st at 30 mph will get you to redline and fuel shutoff before you can finish saying "One Mississippi, two Mississippi"!

Launching the manual will take a little practice, as there is a relatively narrow window for an ideal launch somewhere between bogging the engine and having your rear tires go up in smoke.
The goal is to keep your rear tires just on the edge of losing traction, with minimal wheelspin (there should be a little, but not too much). Try getting off the clutch quickly (but don't dump it, and maybe let it slip a tiny bit at first to get a better feel for how sensitive it is)
At the same time, roll into the gas firmly, pushing it to the floor but without mashing it right off the bat. You'll find a balance of the right launch rpms, throttle application and how quickly you need to engage the clutch in order to keep the rears from spinning too much and losing traction.

Good luck and have fun!

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
'11 Little Red V wagon (& 2 Vettes)
253 Posts
With the 3.73 gears, downshifting to 1st at any speed above walking is probably a waste and will put the engine at red line and fuel shut off real fast.

Between traction control and rev limiter, that's probably why it nose dived until getting it into second.

Getting used to the gears and which gear to down shift into will take a little practice.

Enjoy the "V".

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
it should be noted that a set of oem rears are nearly $1000.

be easy bigfoot... with great power comes great responsibility!

welcome!

·
Registered
2011 V Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol! I like it! thanks again for the info... dam good stuff and some classic reading! drove it today cause it was nice out, and already getting a more comfortable and really learning the car, reading everybody elses experiences in here helps to for sure! only prob here in Mi is the dam pot holes and shitty roads right now... need a good day of rain and some dam street sweepers out there to clean em up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts