Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Here it is. I went to the Vette doctors today and spent a few hours there with Ace996. Cool guy by the way!
Well last week I went to the dyno and posted my results. They were 372RWHP/352RWTQ. Not bad. This was Stealth V's tune. Not shabby by any standards....
But I did notice that it was running a little rich and felt that it could make a little more power if only it was a little leaner.

The Stealth V tune was dynoed first for a baseline. It pulled 364.9HP/349.5TQ. Obviously a little variance between 2 different dynoes, never the less still pretty close.

Then the Doctor went to work and said it was a good mail order tune but he would be able to pull a little more power, not much more but a little more. I was OK with that.

So, first run
364.9/349.5

Last run
377.6/363.9

Attachments

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Were they able to tweak stealths tune or did they reflash and start over?

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, Joe I should have called. :peeking:
Was that you on 495 east today at around 3ish.
Carmen tuned it. He spent time on it, 8 runs.. Nice job Vette Doctor..
With all due respect to Stealth V. If you do not have access to a COMPETENT TUNER, with a dyno. Ricks tune will do fine. If you have access to a tuner and a dyno with experience like the vette doctors. That's the way to go. These guys have been working these engines for years.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
willsctsv said:
With all due respect to Stealth V. If you do not have access to a COMPETENT TUNER, with a dyno. Ricks tune will do fine. If you have access to a tuner and a dyno with experience like the vette doctors. That's the way to go. These guys have been working these engines for years.:thumbsup:
With all due respect to certain mail order tunes, especially Rick, I agree with the above. It's hard to surpass a competent tuner who is working directly with your car; it just can't be beat. Then again, Rick's tune is also probably is a little cheaper, but that is another story...:D

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
My $0.02...
Had a great day with Will, nice to see such nice hardware...many procharged Z06s...few C6s too.
Carmen had an "issue" with dealing with the StealthV tune at first, but his kung-fu is good and he was able to tweak the existing StealthV tune on the dyno. There were 3 baseline runs, I think, and then the tweaking started...
OH MY, Wills car on a dyno sounded like the Thunder of Heaven!!!! A few tweaks here, a few pokes there, and the power band rose....
At the end, the gains were there. I asked Carmen how the "box-tune" was, he said it was a good tune, but added that every car is different and the only way to really tell what your car can do is to dyno it. As Will said, 8 tuning runs later...the results speak for themselves.
Will then took me around the corner for a few "test" runs...man'o'man, his V pulls like a booster-rocket...insane take-off, and the sound was incredible...I now know why the headers are such a popular mod!!!!
All in all, it was a great day...we met a very competent tuner, who was interested in becoming a supporting-vendor (I hope so), got to see some nice examples of Vettes, and I was treated to a "jet-plane" ride in a newly tuned car. Now...where's my change jug....must have a dyno tune in there somewhere....
-ace

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Luna. said:
Probably had to reflash and start over
This did not happen....at first, I thought he might have to...but did not. Lucky Will, an optimized tune....we should all be so lucky!
-ace

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
ace996 said:
This did not happen....at first, I thought he might have to...but did not. Lucky Will, an optimized tune....we should all be so lucky!
-ace
Wow. I thought that Rick locked his tunes. In any case, sounds like a good day! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Nice numbers Willy! Tuning the car in person is always best. :cheers:

No, the PCM isn't locked unless the customer requests it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Know your where you should be. Great numbers and I bet it pulls hard. Amasoning what a dyno and a good tuner will do. :yup:

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1BadCad, I forgot the cams name and or duration. It's a torque cam, He said I should pick up about 30Ftlbs of TQ through the entire powerband, with no difference in idle. That was a concern I had. I don't want my caddy too lopey like an old Camaro or Mustang like me and my buddies use to build.
New cam, new valve springs,etc. Installed $1500.00.
Sounds reasonable to me. I plunked down 1250.00 for headers that probably gave me 15-20 Ftlbs of Tq.
I should be close to 400 RWHP/400RWTQ. Without heads! Sweet!
I think I may do it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
willsctsv said:
1BadCad, I forgot the cams name and or duration. It's a torque cam, He said I should pick up about 30Ftlbs of TQ through the entire powerband, with no difference in idle. That was a concern I had. I don't want my caddy too lopey like an old Camaro or Mustang like me and my buddies use to build.
New cam, new valve springs,etc. Installed $1500.00.
Sounds reasonable to me. I plunked down 1250.00 for headers that probably gave me 15-20 Ftlbs of Tq.
I should be close to 400 RWHP/400RWTQ. Without heads! Sweet!
I think I may do it![/quot

Will, the cam sounds good, i would prefer a little lopey:yup: & if the
heads aren't to much mula, it's a go:lildevil: , I think he quoted me
5Gees for both but didn't get details, still cheaper than a maggie @
$6500 installed & tuned. by the way i think the heads & cam would
give us close to 100 hp with the rest of our mods.:suspect:
keep me posted maybe we'll do both Vees. maybe three? ACE?
tom

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
1badcady said:
Will, the cam sounds good, i would prefer a little lopey:yup: & if the
heads aren't to much mula, it's a go:lildevil: , I think he quoted me
5Gees for both but didn't get details, still cheaper than a maggie @
$6500 installed & tuned. by the way i think the heads & cam would
give us close to 100 hp with the rest of our mods.:suspect:
keep me posted maybe we'll do both Vees. maybe three? ACE?
tom
Now, Tom, I'm not looking to get served divorce papers yet!!! And don't forget I need to get my suspension in order for the summer's autox/trackday fun.

The head/cam package would be wicked...serious power to be had, now a vendor just needs to come out with a head/cam/clutch/flywheel/driveshaft/diff package and offer financing for it :thumbsup:

I feel like one of the characters in the Wizard of OZ...."if I only had some cash"...
-ace

·
Registered
191 Posts
ace996 said:
Now, Tom, I'm not looking to get served divorce papers yet!!! And don't forget I need to get my suspension in order for the summer's autox/trackday fun.

The head/cam package would be wicked...serious power to be had, now a vendor just needs to come out with a head/cam/clutch/flywheel/driveshaft/diff package and offer financing for it :thumbsup:

I feel like one of the characters in the Wizard of OZ...."if I only had some cash"...
-ace

ACE,
at least the cam come on:rolleyes: just dont tell her about your bonus:tisk:
sheeel never know:thumbsup: until she nails the throtle:eek:
tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts