Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 SLS, 80,000 miles, 4 new tires and redone front end. Now the transmission is not shifting and whinning. When it does shift, it goes through all gears. One code PC0717 history and sometimes current - been having for past 2 years. Car is in great shape overall. Need to decide if I should fix and keep, fix and sell or just sell as is. Any idea regarding cost to fix or replace transmission. Also any input regarding cars market value fixed or broken. Bringing to trans shop on Monday or Tuesday. Recommended by 2 different friends bih mechanics.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Most Cadillac transmissions are bullet proof. Do not overhaul. Buy one from a wrecking yard. They mark the mileage on them.

Must find an honest wrecking yard; at least the large ones are. LKQ, etc.

I am not affiliated in any way with any wrecking yards.

Off top of my head $600 plus labor???

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of LKQ. Looked up on internet - none in New Orleans but they ship. Between 400 and 600 for used transmission. Any body know how much labor cost would be to replace. Do the have to remove the engine to replace trans or can they drop trans out and put new one in? Still not sure if better to have original trans fixed or replace with used or rebuilt? Goes to trans shop tomorrow. Any input welcome.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I paid $600 labor (at a trusted independent shop) to re&re a tranny in my car. I would expect a dealer to charge at least double that... These tranny's are strong... but they are not indestructible.

Your symptoms could be bad solenoids... Common problem.. have they been replaced? This can be done with the tranny in the car.

The tranny can be dropped and replaced without moving the engine.

Now is also a great time to check and possibly replace the front motor mount. It is easy to do while the tranny is dropped.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Just out of curiousity, have you checked the Shift Solenoids in the tranny!? I don't know if those would throw the code you have or not... $100 is a LOT cheaper than $600!

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car went to shop this morning. Got call before noon. They dropped the pan and it was full of "crap" - well actually bits of hard plastic washer used to seperate the metal from rubbing against each other????? plus small bits of metal. Quoted me $750 labor if I wanted to purchase used trans from junk yard myself and bring to him. Only problem is if trans I buy turns out to be no good and junk yard swaps - I would have to pay $750 again for second swap out. He stated he needed to remove the trans to further diagnois and give me an estimate to repair - if possible. He gave me a ball park of $1000 to $3000 depending on what he finds. $750 Labor plus $500 to $700 for used trans = 1250 to 1450. For now I have to wait until tomorrow. So far, kind of what I was expecting from the way the trans was driving.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trans shop =$2500 plus tax to rebuild. Called dealer for estimate and his staring qoute was $3000 and up if he had to replace entire transmission. Gave the trans shop the go ahead to fix. I didn't want to chance on used trans from junk yard since I can not do replacement myself. Considering selling once fixed and buying 7 series used BMW (not right away but maybe in a few months). Paid 10,500 4 years ago with 9,700 miles. Currently has 80,000. Book value listed close to $17,000 once mileage was figured in when I purchased.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pat at Precision Transmission located in Kenner, LA near New Orleans International Airport. You did not tell me what you think - good or bad deal, keep or sell? Although I may have said outloud but I was expecting this to cost me between 1000 to 3000. Shift solenoids were never change in transmission and I did get the PC0717 code. Car still shifted past second gear so I was not that concerned about the solenoids. Read the help guide in this and other forums and was considering an attempt to change myself. Guess I don't have to worry about that now since shop is going to replace.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up car today. Man what a difference a week, $2700 and a rebuilt trans makes. Happy to have my caddy back. The replaced the solenoids, filters and all the bells and whistles as well as rebuilt the torque converter. Suggested servicing every year. Probably keep caddy now that shes fixed. Reminds me why I bought it. Still have slight vibration in car at low speeds and pull to left. Bringin back to tire shop to check balance and alignment. Seems like I feel every bump in the road. Can't blame transmission this time.

·
Registered
98 Deville Delegence
198 Posts
sounds like it may be worth looking to fix the car. 80k miles is nothing on these cars. im suprised the trans is acting up. I would say shop around, prices vary alot.remmeber..if you try to sell, you wont get much..good luck

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
sounds like it may be worth looking to fix the car. 80k miles is nothing on these cars. im suprised the trans is acting up. I would say shop around, prices vary alot.remmeber..if you try to sell, you wont get much..good luck
Umm, he DID fix it. Hooray for old threads!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts