Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new throttle body from caddy, installed and thought I had the wrong TPS. Called Cadillac and they said "Oh, you need the new connector with it" so I bought that too. Problem is, the new connector has all 6 white wires and the old connector is color coded. I do notice numbers on the new connector where the white wires go into the connector. I've connected the new connector to the same positions as the old but am still having problems. Problems include engine power reduced and sending p0123 and p0223 codes. I read where I need to relearn the idle position and I turned engine off for 30 secs, turn ignition on (without engine running) for 1 min. Turn off, clear DTC's. Done that and it doesn't help. I figure the wiring is not correct. Can someone help me as to what white wire connects to what color wire? Course I connected cadillac and they didn't give up any wiring info. Hey, the new connector comes with a sheet telling you how do a butt splice. Go figure!

Thanks in advance.
Keith

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
I think you missed a step in idle relearn: from the serv manual-

Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 60 seconds.
Turn OFF the ignition.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.

As to wires; 1-grn 2-gy 3-bn 4-pu 5-ye 6-tn.

BTW :welcome:

:bug:

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glake89.

That did the fix!

Have you ever had a lot of oil in the tube between the TPS and air filter? I have this problem which is so bad, I have to add a qt. of oil about 3/4 of the oil life.

Anyway, Thanks a million for your help!

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Hey kvwalt, if you don't mind, can you tell me why you replaced the TB? I am getting an occasional code from my TPS, but not sure yet if its an electrical connection problem or a bad TPS. Just wondering if you have any insight. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
st_pinetree, the engine light came on, the display showed service engine soon, and when you put it in park the engine would race way up and act like it was changing gears and then finally go back to idle. So, I went and bought a code reader and the code pointed me to the TPS. I replaced the throttle body last year with a used one so this year I decided to replace with new.

Hope this helps.

k

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Have you ever had a lot of oil in the tube between the TPS and air filter?
Bad PCV valve. :)

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Thanks, different symptoms than mine.

st_pinetree, the engine light came on, the display showed service engine soon, and when you put it in park the engine would race way up and act like it was changing gears and then finally go back to idle. So, I went and bought a code reader and the code pointed me to the TPS. I replaced the throttle body last year with a used one so this year I decided to replace with new.

Hope this helps.

k

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6
1 Posts
After several tests [ autozone and paying the dealer ] it appears that my 2004 srx 3.6L has a TPS failure ..... I have ordered in all of the parts [ TPS , gasket and new connector ] ...... this appears to be a straight forward unbolt remove and replace type of repair ....... it is the wiring and the DTC reset that has me concerned ...... I do not have a scanner ....... and am a bit old fashioned and will solder the wires rather than crimp them .... I guess that my question is ..... will I harm anything by soldering the wires on the new connector to the old wire harness ? and is there another way besides the scan tool to remove the codes [ I will take the battery cables off during this to prevent any accidental shorting / voltage problems ] ....also .... you state that the ignition needs to be turned off for 30 seconds ........ does this mean that after the repair [ with the ignition already off ] will I need to reconnect everything and then turn on the ignition or possibly even start the car ..... and then turn of the car and start the relearn procedure ?
At 64 yo with a bad back this will be a test of my pain level ..... LMAO .... thank you all for your knowledge sharing .......
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
First, I would take a very close look at the connector faces. If they match there is no need to use the new one.
Codes will usually go away after 3 or 4 drive cycles if the fault is no longer present.
No problem with soldering, actually a good idea.
I would start the car after repair and the do idle relearn if needed. Relearn will not work if any of these codes are present,( P0121, P0122, P0123, P0221, P0222, P0223, P0638, P2100, P2101, P2105, P2107, and P2119 ).
As to a scanner, your visit to the dealer likely paid for one. I think Harbor Freight has one now for ~$100 that does ABS. If you plan on keeping the car, a good investment.
I would also move the wiring harness as little as possible, wires are 10 yrs. old and you'd be surprised how small and fragile they are.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
707 Posts
another suggestion for read/clearing engine codes if you have a smart phone:
for 15 bucks you can buy a module (ELM 327) that plugs into the vehicle diag connector and communicates via WiFi to your phone
you need a phone app - I use Dash Command - think it was 9 bucks

No need for the laptop and interface cable, and the module is small, throw it in the glove box

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX 2004
4 Posts
I have a 2004 Cadi SRX with many of the symptoms above - missing, hesitation, etc. Dealer says need new throttle body and wiring connectors - $1,500. Can any supply the part numbers for all I need to purchase - I have some experience so I think I can do this. Thanks. [email protected].

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD
336 Posts
New throttle body and the pigtail for 1500? I'd never go there again.

I had the same issues and it was my pigtail, the throttle bodies are generally okay, but you can change that easily enough. I think both parts total could be $100-150, but probably cheaper on amazon or something. And maybe 15 minutes or less to swap them out.

$1500...good god what thieves.

·
Registered
2003 CTS<-- Gone! New-->2004 SRX
10 Posts
I resolved this issue temporarily, atleast has narrowed it down to what I need to do. I cleaned my TPS connector it lasted 4 months before limp mode showed up again. I just cleaned again (worked great after cleaning) and will be ordering a new connector. Ensure you let the cleaner dry completely, because you know, its electrical.

Cleaner used-
CRC Industries QD Electronic Cleaner

not my own idea got it here

whatabitch_99 Posts: 1

May 2015

Don't waste your time on this forum. No one is giving answers. Don't email any of the emails on this forum either; they are only there to push you to go to the dealership to drop thousands that doesn't fix the issue. The real issue is more related to the TPS, P2135, P0638,l which freaks out the ECM and causes a whole lot of other codes, like Cadillac only C0242. The TPS connector sucks and gets baked with heat, which fatigues the pins and plastic. Get a standard motor products S1057, NOT from the dealership, acdelco or any of the other places that charge 4x for the same part. What happens is that the ECM loses track of where the TPS is and instead of like Toyota, they default to limp home mode, where there should have been a redundant system to prevent such a dangerous scenario.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac SRX
17 Posts
Bad PCV valve. :)
Yes that's correct bad pcv valve also replace the pcv valve hose because it's clogged too. Clean your throttle body with throttle body cleaner only also clean your map sensor with map sensor cleaner only. Clean the breather hose that connects to the throttle body and air filter box and the air filter box then replace the air filter. I would recommend you change your engine oil just in case it got contamination from the gas fumes that couldn't escape the engine block because the pcv valve and hose was clogged. Hope this helps had the same problem on my 2005 3.6 v6 SRX. Then the o2 sensor threw a p043 low threshold on bank 2 . That's the drivers side rear o2 sensor. Get 2 packs of spark plug filers drill out one of each package until your o2 sensor fits through the top one once you remove both rear o2 sensors and screw them into the top filer and the one you don't drill screw it into your exhaust where the sensor came out of then screw the top filer into each one of them along with the o2 sensors reconnect the o2 sensor plugs get the check engine light turned off and drive it for around 65 to 70 miles. That should reset everything for that problem.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
232 Posts
Yes that's correct bad pcv valve also replace the pcv valve hose because it's clogged too. Clean your throttle body with throttle body cleaner only also clean your map sensor with map sensor cleaner only. Clean the breather hose that connects to the throttle body and air filter box and the air filter box then replace the air filter. I would recommend you change your engine oil just in case it got contamination from the gas fumes that couldn't escape the engine block because the pcv valve and hose was clogged. Hope this helps had the same problem on my 2005 3.6 v6 SRX. Then the o2 sensor threw a p043 low threshold on bank 2 . That's the drivers side rear o2 sensor. Get 2 packs of spark plug filers drill out one of each package until your o2 sensor fits through the top one once you remove both rear o2 sensors and screw them into the top filer and the one you don't drill screw it into your exhaust where the sensor came out of then screw the top filer into each one of them along with the o2 sensors reconnect the o2 sensor plugs get the check engine light turned off and drive it for around 65 to 70 miles. That should reset everything for that problem.
What are 'spark plug filers' ? Is this just a way of moving the O2 sensor out of the stream?

·
Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
296 Posts
Maybe like that : cellfix.
On my V8, on rear O2 sensor, i have 2 cellfix minicat. P0420-P0430 come regulary... but pollution emission is OK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts