Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Brougham D'elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Mike. I just bought a 1989 Brougham D'elegance and I love it! It's so much fun to drive. It has a problem though when I go to start it in the morning after its been sitting for 5+ hours I have to hit the gas a couple times to get it started. It's fine the rest of the day and rides great otherwise. The previous owner told me about this but, said it would only happen in the winter. It isn't cold outside. The coldest it gets at night is maybe in the low 50's. Thanks in advance for any help. Glad to be a Cadillac owner.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Sound like normal operation for a carb car. Hit the gas once to close the coke and start it up. It will idle high until the car warms up.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Yup, that is what we did before fuel injection Mike.
Absolutely normal operation.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the great Cadillac!
:welcome:

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I think you're supposed to push the pedal all the way down twice and hold it down on the second one for starting if I remember correctly.
I've never had a carbed car that started without doing that, probably because it's a mechanical action that pumps the fuel in, not fuel injected.

Post some pics of the car!

·
Registered
1989 Brougham D'elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Haha, glad to know it's something normal. This is the oldest car I've had. I saw somewhere that it could be the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump check valve but, I trust ya'lls judgment. I'll post pictures as soon as I get home. It won't let me on mobile. Thanks again friends can't wait to tinker with this thing on my own. Talk to you guys soon.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Don't worry about it. I know if talismandave says it's normal, it's normal. He knows stuff. I believe my oldest car so far has been a 1978 Corolla, though my Pontiac Grand Lemans may have been a 1977 or 76, I didn't have it that long so I don't really remember. Your oldest being a 1989 isn't so old in comparision. And some of the guys on this site have been driving since the 60's, maybe even earlier. So they would know too.

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Yep, a little older technology. Hate to tell ya, but it doesn't have wireless internet it it either!

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
632 Posts
Sound like normal operation for a carb car. Hit the gas once to close the coke and start it up. It will idle high until the car warms up.
Correct!

I think you're supposed to push the pedal all the way down twice and hold it down on the second one for starting if I remember correctly.
Only push the pedal down once, to engage the choke. Twice can disengage it. Also you may need to spray some gumout carb cleaner on the choke mechanisms, so it will work freely.

Tom

Tom

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Welcome , a pleasure to see new members from an era where The Cadillcacs used to look like Cadillacs

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
...and if you can't wait for it to warm up, tap the gas once lightly and it'll idle down.

·
Registered
1968 Fleetwood
32 Posts
Ok, now I feel old. I bought an '89 Dodge pickup new, my first vehicle with fuel injection and I still have it. The 20 - some cars I had before that all had carburetors. It took a long time to train myself not to hit the accelerator before turning the key. With some you would need to hit the accelerator several times in order for the accelerator pump (part of the carburetor) to prime it, some like others have said, just once to set the choke.

Also I am a little sad, you have lows in the 50's, we won't be up to the 50's until next weekend....

Enjoy the new ride Mike.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Beautiful Cadillac Mike.

I worked for a GM dealer in the 80's. When they first came out with the throttle body fuel injection car they had them set up that when you turned the key to start it it would prime it with a shot of fuel. When we had to plow the snow we had to move every car. The shot of fuel was almost always more than needed in the cold weather. After cranking for a minute or so, we would turn the key off so as to not damage the starter. Then we would try again, of course, that put another huge shot of fuel in!:lol:
We would end up with every one of them towed into the garage. We finally learned how the system worked and would allow the key to stay in the run position and the try again from there and would usually get them started.

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
On my '78 Deville 425 I just depress the accelerator once for about 5 seconds on "cold" starts, release and starts great--then it idles
high until I briskly depress accelerator once and it idles down to normal. Such is the way with some carbs.
When engine is warm it`ll start up without touching accelerator at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts