Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm on the hunt for a new daily driver, and I've got my eye on a second generation CTS (my wife had a 2010 which was great, and now has a 2017). I've found more than a few candidates from 2008 - 2013, with 80K miles or less (kinda where I want to be, price-wise). So with these years / models and miles in mind, what should I watch out for mechanically or electronically? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Welcome, Andy-

I always recommend buying the newest, lowest mileage example your budget affords.

'08-'09 seem to have the most cases of timing chain failure and transfer case issues (you didn't specify if you were looking for RWD or AWD).
Test EVERYTHING for proper operation, EVERYTHING. Door handles, HVAC, radio...
Bring a decent code scanner to check for potential or hidden troubles.

Give it a good shakedown on the test drive to uncover possible suspension issues and look for signs of staining in the headliner or carpet dampness which would be telltale signs of clogged sunroof drains. This is a major problem with these cars and can give further headaches if not addressed.

Others will chime in. Good luck with the hunt!

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Long covered it well.

These suspensions are good but they can get noisy with age. If it's AWD, new front struts are very expensive so do a bumpy road with the sound system off and do a walk around, bouncing the car down at every corner.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Condensation/crazing/yellowing/fading of the headlamp lenses is quickly becoming a problem as the 2nd Gen CTS ages. This can be a fairly simple or expensive fix depending on your skillset.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts