Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Deville Concourse
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everyone. I just took ownership of this 99 Deville Concours. Its been in the family since new and belonged to my grandmother, then my dad and now me. It is far from what cars im used too ( mostly Mercedes and BMW's ) but my dad gave it to me as gift. From what I can tell it will need some suspension work and perhaps a tune up. Id like to bring it back to its original glory. So what better way than to join the experts. Looking forward bouncing off ideas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Grandma drove it to and from work as a nurse and never on road trips. Always kept it garaged and used rental cars for road trips lol. Then she retired and gave it to my dad who 3 years later gave it to me. It will need some love for sure. Especially that rear suspension.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,386 Posts
Nice looking car. I'll guess that the ELC (Electronic Level Control) is faulty - the taildragger look. Either the (rear) shock bladders/air lines are leaking or the compressor/control head is seized.

Look under the spare tire cover - there should be a sticker with a bunch of codes on it. Is one code FE1 - soft springs/passive suspension, or FE3/F45 - sport springs/active suspension?

That has a direct bearing on advice offered.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
710 Posts
How many miles on it?

Once you get it tuned up and get some fresh fluids, the consensus will likely recommend to exercise that engine by running it at wide open throttle aka WOT a few times to help clear out any built up carbon inside the engine.

Looks very clean. I like the color and the wheels & tires. I’m guessing the interior is also clean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking car. I'll guess that the ELC (Electronic Level Control) is faulty - the taildragger look. Either the (rear) shock bladders/air lines are leaking or the compressor/control head is seized.

Look under the spare tire cover - there should be a sticker with a bunch of codes on it. Is one code FE1 - soft springs/passive suspension, or FE3/F45 - sport springs/active suspension?

Thanks. I will replace ALL components that I think look brittle or are not functioning. I already pulled codes and you are correct the elc is definitely not working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many miles on it?

Once you get it tuned up and get some fresh fluids, the consensus will likely recommend to exercise that engine by running it at wide open throttle aka WOT a few times to help clear out any built up carbon inside the engine.

Looks very clean. I like the color and the wheels & tires. I’m guessing the interior is also clean.
It has 98125 on it. The interior looks brand new lol with the exception of a sagging headliner. Kinda odd

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
710 Posts
That’s an average of about 4,500 miles per year... That’s pretty rare when you think about it. Sounds like it’s in good hands.

I bought my 2000 Deville DHS last year with 131,000 miles on it, which averages to 6,550 miles per year.

Cheers to keeping it clean for many years to come.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s an average of about 4,500 miles per year... That’s pretty rare when you think about it. Sounds like it’s in good hands.

I bought my 2000 Deville DHS last year with 131,000 miles on it, which averages to 6,550 miles per year.

Cheers to keeping it clean for many years to come.

To say that she took care of this car is an understatement lol. Serviced at the dealer its entire life and then some. Yeah crazy to think she barely drove it. My dad only put 8k on it from the time he owned it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 585594
To say that she took care of this car is an understatement lol. Serviced at the dealer its entire life and then some. Yeah crazy to think she barely drove it. My dad only put 8k on it from the time he owned it.
I love the color of your car. Those are some sharp looking rims.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
710 Posts
I love the color of your car. Those are some sharp looking rims.
Thank you! And I also bought my car from the original owner.. Funny thing is I respectfully asked for as many receipts as possible but I think it turned into 1 of those situations where the person ends up shying away from providing the bulk of the information in fear of making the vehicle look bad... So all I got was a few oil change receipts and maybe a couple oddball repairs at the dealer.

I really wish I could’ve gotten everything, but I’m sure it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as extensive as your paperwork! Man keep that car around for another 20yrs. and who knows! Lol.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,386 Posts
Nice Eldorado*. Yes, the ELC needs some TLC.

* Freudian slip ...............

·
Registered
2000 deville
59 Posts
I just recently installed a Monroe AK29 system with help from the forum. Works great and the ride is nicer as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)

It says both?

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
It says both?
===================
FE3 refers to stiffer springs and larger sway bars than the base model Deville -

F45 refers to the electronic struts and shocks -

you're going to cry when you find out how much replacement struts and shocks cost -
IF you can even find any -

1 - 20 of 24 Posts