Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She sits a bit above the first line above the middle of the temp gauge when driving and creeps over the 2nd nearly into the red in traffic...I am sure it is a coolant leak but I was wondering if there are any common leak spots on the N* motors? this is my first "modern" Cadillac and I don't know much about the motors and their problems...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Where do you smell coolant from? Near the engine area, or exhaust?

Have you checked fans for proper operation? They should go slow at around 5/8 (~224F) mark and go fast before 6/8 (~236F). It brings the temp down to middle (~213F) and turn off. They constantly run with any A/C operation.

Do you have proper coolant level? It is to the middle of the tank (about 2 1/2 inch down from the neck).

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
26 Posts
I had an issue similar as yours, so i had the coolant flushed by Chevy. I soon found out that I needed a new radiator so I changed the radiator and changed the rest of these for S&G's thermostat, water pump, upper and lower radiator hose. (consider changing the cooling temp. sensor while you’re doing the cooling system something I just replaced today "sucked".
Fresh Oil and good cooling system will keep this car on the road.

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
I was wondering if there are any common leak spots on the N* motors?
Usually around the water pump, either the wp seal, the cover gasket, the t-stat gasket, hoses, heater lines behind the engine, radiator side tanks, surge tanks.... any tell-tale white powder residue?

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
also wouldnt hurt pulling your dipstick and checking oil, make sure it DOESNT look like a chocolate milk shake:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
checked the oil for coolant contamination and thankfully there is none.
For the record, a Northstar with failing head gaskets very seldom contaminates the oil with coolant or vice versa.

If you smell hot coolant, you do not have head gasket problems: you have a coolant leak, and the possibilities for locations are quite a few. It's gonna take some dedicated snooping on your part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts