Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS w/ LS1 swap & 1982 Corvette
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the CTS world (I'm a Vette guy!) and was looking for some help and I figured this would be the place to look! I'm looking at buying a 2003 CTS (75,000 miles on the car/ 40,000 on engine)with the following mods:
LS1 swap
6 speed tdp stage 2 clutch
LG motorsports G5 cam
comp cam valves and springs
aluminum 241 heads
LS6 manifold
shorty headers
3 inch exhaust

What kinds of questions should I be asking the seller? Everything from the basics up to the details, if someone has the time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts
Are you sure it's not an 04 to 07 CTS-V?

Because I don't know anyone in their right mind who heavily modded a base CTS that much who wants to sell it.

I do know this, if they put a V8 in a V6 engine bay. They would of had to change the suspension too.

KOT

·
Registered
03 CTS (Dead), 06 3.6 CTS(Sold), 07 CTS-V
1,503 Posts
This could be interesting...lol if it is changed out like that be sure to get some pics up..

Im with KOT...most likely a moded V

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
659 Posts
My god!! It IS a base CTS, not a V. You can tell with the steering wheel controls, the dash color, the instrument cluster, the shifter is obviously modded, the bumper is a base CTS, as are the side skirts. Can't really see the wheels but the lug pattern appears to be 5 bolt. Miss anything? Seems the radio was swapped for aftermarket nav too.

No way that's a V, definitely a base CTS. That's crazy. That looks like a huge nest of confusing problems that may arise, but it's so intriguing I'd buy it if it was me! Ask many many questions. There's not a whole lot we'll be able to help you with as it seems half the car is now made of aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts

Also, that is an 03 cluster with the temp gauge. The HVAC doesn't have heated seats, which were standard on the CTS-V. The wheels are aftermarket though, but are 5 bolts. :)

I am still speechless.

KOT

·
Registered
05 CTS
1,395 Posts
af.zach said:
So was this guy dumb for putting all that on there or ?

Do I want to go for it or skip this one?

Here's a vid of it running if anyone is interested in seeing/ hearing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0nKXdTB-P8
----------

[/COLOR]I would be tempted....very tempted to get this car. I wonder if the swap included ecm, axles, transmission, driveshaft and other parts to support the swap and how about the clearance of the shorty headers against the steering column. Get it if 1. You are very knowledgable with mechanics/car modding and have money for troubleshooting issues that are unforeseen. 2. You have another daily driver.

This is the first time I have seen a ls1 swap on the CTS and I don't know how much help you would get with issues between the CTS and VEE forum.

·
Registered
03 CTS (Dead), 06 3.6 CTS(Sold), 07 CTS-V
1,503 Posts
Damn..wonder if this is the same guy with the 3.8GN 2nd gen..the one sitting behind it looks identical...that would be crazy lol.

Finally something new on here haha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love it, I think its pretty damn awesome! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be throwing away all my money away.

·
Registered
2006 CTS sport model/package
1,058 Posts
If its a decent price I would buy it just for its originality and mostly for the sound. That I an awesome sound. Makes me wanna roll mine in the garage and go get my neighbors Vette and "borrow" the engine lol

----------

I'm with bluehaze07 tho.....hope you have a second vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
659 Posts
af.zach said:
I love it, I think its pretty damn awesome! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be throwing away all my money away.
The reason were all so stunned is because you honestly never see this. This may be the only CTS to ever get a real engine swap to an LS1 or comparable engine. The reason being is the CTS-V was offered with a 5.7L LS6 or 6.0L LS2 and ALL the accompanying upgrades as well. Good 6 spd manual gearbox, excellent suspension, brembo brakes, better instrument cluster, big 18" wheels, dual exhaust, and everything was loaded. Not to mention all the little stuff necessary to make the vette engine work with it. So now, there's no reason to do a swap to a vette engine in the CTS. The CTS-V is everything you could ask for and since it was done in the factory, it's better than any modding you could do.

That's not to discourage you though. If I was you, and it was set for a good price and you know a little about cars and are mechanically inclined, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. It's so original and interesting...

And was the guy crazy? Maybe, but who knows maybe he just had an unused LS1 sitting around and plenty of money and figured, what the hell? This'll be fun!

What is the asking price, btw?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It still has stock suspension, I see that as a serious issue, correct? Does have ceramic brakes, an aluminum light weight driveshaft, and is running off the LS1 ECU. Hasn't been Dynod though.

·
Registered
05 CTS
1,395 Posts
af.zach said:
It still has stock suspension, I see that as a serious issue, correct? Does have ceramic brakes, an aluminum light weight driveshaft, and is running off the LS1 ECU. Hasn't been Dynod though.
Did the diff get upgraded also? I guess it depends on how aggressive you will be driving the car. Maybe axle problems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Ill be taking it to Germany with me so it'll spend some good time on the Autobahn. I'm not going to be taking it on the drag strips, but I do want to be able to show off her power!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts