Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
'10 cts4 wagon
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, currently do not have a Cadillac. Looked at the Cts-v for a long time and still do, but the 2009, newer body style and automatic tranny are out of my price range as I am stearing retirement in it cruel ugly face.:crybaby:
Not really interested in having to shift at this point. Currently have a 2009 Dodge Charger hemi, ex police, love it, lowered and quick in my book, but somewhat bare bones.Forgot all about the STS-V and just became acquainted w/it again.
Will be reading and learning with the help of this forum and keep my eyes out for a clean and abused STS-V.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Welcome! The STS-V is probably the best car you can get for the price. They're fast & luxury. Not much more to ask for!

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Welcome!!!

Like all cars they have their known issues, I have had mine 3-4months and seeing almost all of the common ones, that said the issues are not terribly $$ to fix IF you do the work yourself.
Wheel bearings ($200/each for parts)
Shift to park ($200 shifter replacement usually fixes)
Squeaky seat I have just gotten used to it, is a TSB out for it I might look into.
Heated steering wheels go out and there is no replacement for the 06 available.

THAT SAID, they are an incredible value when you look at what you get for your $.
I looked at Chargers and 300C early in my search for a V8 RWD sedan, they felt "bare bones" to me as well even before I sat in a STS.
Not any $20-25k cars I can think of that have all the options, power and comfort of a STSV. Even the $9-12K for the regular STS you get big bang for the buck, though all the non V ones I looked at tended to be in rougher shape.

·
Registered
'10 cts4 wagon
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have been watching E bay, Craigs list, Auto trader... Have seen '06's from 13,500 on up depending on miles. Considering the car and costs to maintain, although it is still only a 9 year old car, at it's oldest and more than likely bought buy older well to do people that would generally take care of an 80,000 vehicle, I don't know that mileage should scare me to much if it appears to have been taken care of .
.I have been fantasizing over a car I have never seen in person let alone sat in or driven. Closest on is for sale 100 miles from me, light grey, may take a run next week to look at it. Am leaning towards the black or dark grey.
Feel that I will have to spend between 17-21,000 to get what I want. Any considerations as to whether private sale or dealer, any warranties still in force for '06/'07 ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Seeing the car in person and driving it will make a world of a difference when it comes down to deciding whether or not you want an STS-V. What lamrith suggested you look out for are the more common issues with these cars which thankfully aren't big issues. You'll probably find many clean cars with high mileage but looks can be deceiving and it's always best to get a lesser used car if possible. Not saying that all higher mileage vehicles will have issues but just make sure you do a full proper inspection of it and make sure you obtain all service reports/records.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,426 Posts
Oh, Ya Hey Der... A Cheesehead (I'm in Chicago, so I gotta get that jab in).

There are quite a few clean ones out there as I roll through AutoTrader to maintain the registry. But price depends on whether or not you want absolute low mileage pristine version, or just a good clean, moderate miled one. Figure the later would be in the high teens/low 20's.

As to this being a bargain and what it offers vs. what you pay, I can't say that this car is a clear cut winner. I see people mention the 300c above, but are you comparing a 300c or a 300c SRT8? An SRT8 is a pretty well sorted out, comprable vehicle. Maybe not a "Cadillac", but you aren't slumming it either. Same thing with a Pontiac G8 GXP. The latter two also have engines that are more easily modifiable and much better supported on the aftermarket, if this is your thing, and arugably easier to work on. The GXP also offers a manual trans...

The achille's heel on this car... Working on many things are a b*tch! I'm a former GM mechanic. I've worked on a lot of GM sh*t and have a lot of special GM specific tools to address some of the things GM came up with, some of which would make people turn away, and even for me there are days where I just look at it and say "I just don't want to deal with this...". This car is definitely one of the more difficult ones to work on than many mainstream GM vehicles. They all have their difficulties, but this car is one of those that a majority of things needing attention requires peeling back 3 layers of the onion before you get to what you initially want to fix/maintain. There is a lot of stuff packed in the front of these cars. I generally find the front of the engine, and passenger side top to be the most space difficult. Specific parts for these cars may also become an issue down the road.

I am coming up on having mine 5 years, and while mine IS lower mileage, and while I would LOVE to live payment free for awhile, I have given thoughts to selling it before something major breaks and I have to spend my valuable time fixing it.

·
Registered
'10 cts4 wagon
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, Ya Hey Der... A Cheesehead (I'm in Chicago, so I gotta get that jab in).

There are quite a few clean ones out there as I roll through AutoTrader to maintain the registry. But price depends on whether or not you want absolute low mileage pristine version, or just a good clean, moderate miled one. Figure the later would be in the high teens/low 20's.

As to this being a bargain and what it offers vs. what you pay, I can't say that this car is a clear cut winner. I see people mention the 300c above, but are you comparing a 300c or a 300c SRT8? An SRT8 is a pretty well sorted out, comprable vehicle. Maybe not a "Cadillac", but you aren't slumming it either. Same thing with a Pontiac G8 GXP. The latter two also have engines that are more easily modifiable and much better supported on the aftermarket, if this is your thing, and arugably easier to work on. The GXP also offers a manual trans...

The achille's heel on this car... Working on many things are a b*tch! I'm a former GM mechanic. I've worked on a lot of GM sh*t and have a lot of special GM specific tools to address some of the things GM came up with, some of which would make people turn away, and even for me there are days where I just look at it and say "I just don't want to deal with this...". This car is definitely one of the more difficult ones to work on than many mainstream GM vehicles. They all have their difficulties, but this car is one of those that a majority of things needing attention requires peeling back 3 layers of the onion before you get to what you initially want to fix/maintain. There is a lot of stuff packed in the front of these cars. I generally find the front of the engine, and passenger side top to be the most space difficult. Specific parts for these cars may also become an issue down the road.

I am coming up on having mine 5 years, and while mine IS lower mileage, and while I would LOVE to live payment free for awhile, I have given thoughts to selling it before something major breaks and I have to spend my valuable time fixing it.
A lot of things to take into consideration. I love my black hemi Charger. It is lowered, to low, therefore has a firm ride, looks cool and is definitely the quickest car I have ever owned has what I need, decent stereo, cruise and air and is almost paid for. I would be all over the Sts-v or Cts-v if I wasn't staring retirement in the face and have other toys,'13 F6b, chopped top, lowered '71 C10 that don't get enough of my time. I like to work on my own stuff but I also know my limitations.
I will keep looking and thinking and weighing things and if it is meant to be, it will be.

·
Registered
2007 sts-v, 2011 Escalade EXT
382 Posts
I'm also from Minnesota. Hour south of the twin cities. Anywho the V is a GREAT car. The srt is a good car but the sts has just a much better feel to it. I owned a 2012 pearl white cts-v for a day to replace the sts.... Needless to say the cts got traded back in the next morning. The sts is so good, I would rather have a car almost 10 years old over a car that was almost a year old at the time. The cts-v 2 is a bad ass car too, but the sts is just a more finely finished product. (Feel the inside of your door pockets, stitched leather even where you can't see it.) It's hard to believe it was such a poor seller when new, bad advertising i guess...... Moral of the story- pull the trigger on the sts before there are none left. It truely is a hard car to replace, and I've had some pretty cherry cars.

·
Registered
'10 cts4 wagon
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also from Minnesota. Hour south of the twin cities. Anywho the V is a GREAT car. The srt is a good car but the sts has just a much better feel to it. I owned a 2012 pearl white cts-v for a day to replace the sts.... Needless to say the cts got traded back in the next morning. The sts is so good, I would rather have a car almost 10 years old over a car that was almost a year old at the time. The cts-v 2 is a bad ass car too, but the sts is just a more finely finished product. (Feel the inside of your door pockets, stitched leather even where you can't see it.) It's hard to believe it was such a poor seller when new, bad advertising i guess...... Moral of the story- pull the trigger on the sts before there are none left. It truely is a hard car to replace, and I've had some pretty cherry cars.[/QUOTE

I travel the greater metro area,Burnsville, Apple Valley Farmington occationally, maybe some day I could take a look at yours.:worship::yup:

·
Registered
'10 cts4 wagon
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was hot over the STS V, about 3 months or so back, I stopped at a Cadillac dealer in the Cities, said he hadn't seen a STS V in a long time and took my number. Called last week that they got an '08 in, elderly gentleman that had serviced it their for years and traded it in on an SRX. Black on black, 82,000 miles, looked nice from exterior and look in threw windows, supposedly not driven in winter. Asking 18,900
Didn't take for ride or investigate any further, stock I am sure, thoughts ?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts