Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used site alot for information thank you all problem having now is secondary air injection code is coming up failed emissions test in Arizona I pulled the hoses before both check valves not getting air to rear bank checked for any restrictions didn't find any ordered check vavlve of ebay not sure if thats going going to take care of problem were talking about a 02 Deville 4.6 Northstar any help would be greatly appreciated Thank You all

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,640 Posts
Re: New to site hello all

Welcome to the forums.

Moving to Deville forum for more help.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,551 Posts
Re: New to site hello all

Check the vacuum system from the TB to the AIR solenoid to the 2 check valves. Those formed plastic pipes tend to get brittle and crack.

ANY of those vacuum pipes and the rubber connectors can be replaced with a single length of proper sized vacuum tubing from the Help! racks at any parts store.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
:yeah:

Welcome :wave:

P.S.
An occasional period would make reading your posts a lot easier.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
I have a question a about the A.I.R system....

Why did some cars come with them and some with out?

Personally, I thank the Lord I don't have that contraption on my deville . Between the pumps and check valves, it's not worth the hassle.

Every time I go look at a potential deville for acquisition, that system is a dealer breaker for me.......

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,551 Posts
The Northstar is, when properly maintained, an extremely clean (emissions-wise) engine. AIR was used in most installations - not in some others - depending on area of sale and use and depending on the floorplan package(s) optioned by the ordering dealership. If the car is subject to "49 state" emissions levels it may not have have AIR - if it's a "50 state" vehicle it has to comply with the stupid California (Big Brother) standards.

The RPO sticker and build sheets, bounced against the GM/Helm service manual specification pages, will give you the emissions compliance levels.

Some Devilles had 2, 1, or no AIR system. You can tell by the number of gray relays clipped to the side of the passenger side strut tower.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
I'm surprised there are any without it, but I would not rule out a nice one with it as I suspect the number without it is small.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Why on earth would that be a deal breaker??? Even if the pump and both valves failed at the same time it's less than a $500 repair.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
The reason for the deal breaker,

Different exhaust manifolds, additional valves. plumbing, and associated hardware. More stuff to remove during servicing or maintenance. Not too bad if the valves and pump are under 500 to replace but I can think of a lot more things to do with 500 than to deal with a system that came on a limited number of cars.

I prefer to find northstars without that system on it.

----------

NOW if I find a REALLY clean car for the right price with a bad headgasket and it has all the toys in it I want, I'll bite the bullet.

It's a system that has been around since the 80's at least and has always had issues with pumps and valves going bad, no matter what the design. I prefer to dodge the bullet if I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts