Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I’m Michael! I felt the pull to a Caddie for quite a while. Our preloved '08 Denali XL AWD purchased in '14 is great, but experiencing my buddy's cooled seats in his monster '13 3500 Duramax got me Jones'n for them. After searching for a one of the Unicorn 07-14 Tahoe equipped with front AND back quad heated/cooled seats, I realized I'd regret not having the extra cargo space of the Burb, XL or ESV.

The reliability of the early "NNBS" GM platform turned me into an aficionado. Depreciation recently hit rock bottom. I knew it was time to snatch an '09. It's the last year the 6.2L didn't have AFM / cylinder deactivation so the possibility of a few missed oil changes known to affect AFM engines wouldn't be a problem. The ride in a Platinum Spec'd Escalade purchased in TX and driven to SoCal was nothing short of amazing. Glad to be here and soak in the knowledge base.

Bummer .. can't post pics on your 1st post as a new member ... I'll try to add them later.

here we go ...

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was on the internet. A generic site linked it to the selling dealers site. Got it for $14k on the last day of a short month. The dealer was motivated to move it.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,444 Posts
Great looking truck! Welcome! As far as cooled seats, I believe ours are just ventilated correct? I know my STS is. BIG, BIG difference between ventilated and actually cooled. I find the ventilated useless.

·
Registered
Cadillac
813 Posts
It was on the internet. A generic site linked it to the selling dealers site. Got it for $14k on the last day of a short month. The dealer was motivated to move it.
Very nice.

Any other quirks with it? We have a good brain trust here. Glad to assist

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yea, quirks. Wouldn’t have have it any other way. The Denali was training wheels for this :D I’ll post em up and sure it’ll ring some smiles on a few of them.

All the energy is going into selling the AWD Denali XL this week. It’ll prolly sell in a day if I post how much toilet paper and water bottles it can haul. Arg! Lost an hour from Cali’s daylight savings time last night. Need larger cuppa for coffee today.

·
Registered
Cadillac
813 Posts
Oh yea, quirks. Wouldn’t have have it any other way. The Denali was training wheels for this :D I’ll post em up and sure it’ll ring some smiles on a few of them.

All the energy is going into selling the AWD Denali XL this week. It’ll prolly sell in a day if I post how much toilet paper and water bottles it can haul. Arg! Lost an hour from Cali’s daylight savings time last night. Need larger cuppa for coffee today.
You know it re wiping out the stores for the basics. People are crazy. What are they intending to do? Hibernate in their houses for weeks? This thing will run its course in a matter of weeks...

Good luck with the sale of the Denali. Mileage and year price comparos are easy to do on the internets.

Drives well and the AC works and the taillights work? Good! Because as the the new owner drives away they are eligible for the "good luck" warranty which expires once the taillights cannot be seen!

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The newly purchased truck did not have any of it's ir head phones or remote control for the DVD set up. I almost pulled the trigger on ordering a set of four oem headsets and a new remote and remembered that the kids said the OEM GM headsets hurt their ears after a while. We found a fix for that on our Denali. Upgraded earmuffs off Amazon that just slip on the OEM headsets.

I ran into a post that mentioned the oem IR remote control does not work on the Platinum DVD player that has headrest DVD players. Just to help those of you out this is what I found …

edit .. Purchased a set of LearningTech 2 PAck of IR Wireless Two - Channel Foldable Headphone off Amazon $22.99 for two. To aid those in the future, the carriers frequency for the GM roof mounted IR headphones are: Left: 2.3Mhz / Right 2.8Mhz. The frequency of the DVD players in the front headrest mounted units is: Left: 3.2Mhz / right 3.8Mhz.

This remote is SPECIFIC to the 2009- 2014 Platinum SWB & ESV. GM P# 22863877 or 25865990 ONLY. I'll assume it's because it not only controls the headrest monitor / DVD players but the roof top IR controls too. I paid $88.37 shipped with a 10% first responder discount from CARiD. It's also on Amazon under part # 22863877 for $85.78 out the door.

A quick heads up … DO NOT ORDER GM look-a-like part # 84247879 - 22797471 -19132011. It looks like the Escalade Platinum version but they're specific to the XTS with headrest monitors as well as a few other vehicles.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The SD Card 2014 SuperNav from eBay is finally at Factory Radio Service & Repair in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. . The VIN to my 09 Platinum has been added and it's ready to go. On the flip side, John has informed me that the disc is ejecting really slowly.

I thought about it and decided to have him service the mech while it's there. This is a bummer.

The $407.90 to the door eBay price for the unit just went up. Now, along with the $17+$25 shipping and $95 unlock fee, the total cost of the unit just jumped up another $275 from $544.90 to $819 after the cost of parts and a replacement mech. Pfhwtt!!! I may go back to the seller and request some money back since he did not disclose the issue. We'll see.

It's looking like I'll swap the ciggy lighter in the console ash tray to an OEM GM USB plug without data feed to the head unit (below on the right without the cover). This is the go to spot for Wifey to charge her phone. I don't want it to mess with sync'g into other AUX features if it's primarily for charging.

The pic above was stolen from a Caprice PPV write up. Mini USB was the standard for a while with GM, but now they've gone to more exotic shaped plugs, receptacles and proprietary connectors.

At the moment, the only feature that will be added to the mini USB / AUX at the back of the unit will be a Bose A2DP BT unit (# 727012-1300) for wireless music streaming. Another GM OEM USB plug will replace the old 12V power port already in place inside the center console. The Bose unit will feed a TOSlink optical cable to a digital to analog converter. It'll clean up the signal and have it as close to digital streaming music into the SuperNav as possible.

There are other A2DP BT modules out there but this Bose unit has stood the test of time and pairs up with no hassle. The USB on the digi convertor (above) will plug into the USB port being added under the lid of the center console. A mini Male to Male USB cord will then run to the back of the Navi head unit Aux in port (below). This reminds me of painting. The final product is all about the prep and there's a lot of it.

Here's the low down on USB cables standard in the industry. They may be hard to find, but there's usually an adapter or cable made with oddball connections to accommodate anything. Even though it may be obvious to some, none of the cables below are used on iPhones, iPad, iTunes, etc.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bummer, the $360 deal scored on eBay last month with a 2014 SD card supernav fell through. John at Factory Radio Service & Repair discovered the DVD / CD eject motor on that unit needed service. I had him halt on repair when he told me today that the unit didn't know it was in Cali after being shipped from out of state. That was the deal breaker. Sorry to anyone who may have been lurking on the unlocked 2014 replacement unit I snatched off eBay for $550 tonight. Lucky me, eBay had a promo shaved $27.50 off the cost.

Hopefully John will cut me some slack on the $125 estimate (incl. shipping) I agreed to pay for unlocking it prior to discovering the issue w/ the DVD / CD eject motor. Sending the 1st eBay unit to a Pro saved me a lot of time, money and heartache in the long run. It took nine days after receiving the unit to condemn it. That ensured the eBay buyers protection is active beyond a doubt.

The $360 ebay unit below is getting shipped back to me and then the seller on eBay.

·
Registered
Cadillac
813 Posts
Bummer indeed. The busted eject mechanism seems to be the common themes with the players.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I caught a break from John. He only charged $65. This was for the initial inspection, to VIN code it and to pay for postage back to the house. By the time I get the broken unit mailed back to the eBay seller I'll have taken a loss of just under $95. Not whining by any means because the replacement for this one is in much better condition and still out of a 2014.

Is it just me or does the 2007-2011 STS have this exact same head unit? I don't see that it ever got the SD card unit but it does seem to have the same Navi unit with the 6 disc changer as the 07-10 Escalade.

Looks like I ran into the company that manufactures all the folding sunshades for GM, Ford, etc.. that screen print their Logo across them. I scored a generic folding sunshade, with a storage case for $39 shipped. The model that fits our GMT 900 trucks is TuningPros SS-049. These typically run close to $100+ after mark up by resellers. It's darker on the back if you need to heat your windshield up to melt ice.

·
Registered
Cadillac
813 Posts
I don't think the STS radio is the same. My anecdotal knowledge of this stems from my CD player research. The Escalades, for whatever reason, have a 22-pin CD changer connector.

The 19-pin is the most common and this is in almost every single make and model car with an in-dash changer-- except for the Escalade. The STS never came up in the searches is my only input. It might look the same on the front, but the guts are different is what I'm saying.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grrr, 48 hours later no shipping info on 2nd SD card Navi ordered off eBay. Requested seller for the exact day he would put radio in the shippers hands. Response: I couldn’t find it. I’ve refunded the money. Translation: I’m selling it for more to someone else, HA!

I ordered the 3rd one, a 2013 unit for $400 that hasn’t been unlocked. So far, fortunately this is the cleanest one.

OEM USB receptacles, harnesses and connections were expensive and crazy difficult to match up because .... they’re OEM. I stumbled into an eBay site selling off GM parts at clearance prices. For $160 shipped I got a 2015-2018 Escalade center console, refrigerated storage box and complete harness with all the switches and housing.

The entire USB pack can be cut out, intact, with enough material surrounding each component(s) and permanently epoxy’d into my 09 console.

Lastly, there’ll be enough of the new harness to safely and correctly modify it into the factory harness as plug n play. There’ll be oddball leftovers like a thermal electric cooler (TED) and it’s switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Cadillac
813 Posts
Don't want to install the fridge, eh? I've heard that CD's sound better if they're cold o_O

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV, 2018 Escalade
578 Posts
Thats neat.
I have the wife talked into trading her car in for another Escalade ESV next year so I will definitely have to find one with all those goodies in it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts