Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 92 deville last week 120,000 miles,I've been cleaning it up and checking things out on it,it's basically been pretty well maintained,
I pulled one spark plug to see it's condition,it looks clean,but it's an autolite brand.

-would I be better off with a.c. delco or is it worth the effort?
-also how hard is it to change plugs on a 4.9?.

I removed the one plug from the front, but the back bank looks a little
more cramped.

Why did I buy another car?, I dunno.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
Are the Autolites platinum tipped? If they are running OK, I'd leave them. I don't think the 4.9 is as fussy as the Northstar. The rears are a royal PITA to change.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the Autolites platinum tipped? If they are running OK, I'd leave them. I don't think the 4.9 is as fussy as the Northstar. The rears are a royal PITA to change.
They dont look platinum tipped to me,would they be a gold color or something?,
Yeh, it seems to run fine (if it aint broke dont fix it eh) but I thought I remembered reading awhile back that auto-lite were really bad,maybe it was in N* section, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
I don't know how you would tell other than looking for the little platinum tip or researching the plug number. I do recall the Guru mentioning something about them many moons ago.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how you would tell other than looking for the little platinum tip or researching the plug number. I do recall the Guru mentioning something about them many moons ago.
I think I'll leave well enough alone, thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
I just did the rears in my 93 this weekend. I had done the front 4 and the 2 rear center ones awhile ago, but could get the 2 outside ones at the time. It really isn't that bad in hindsight. The hardest one is the outside one on the passenger side, you have to use a swivel extension to get it. Their is a rail running past it that keeps a regular extension from working. I did them all from the top, but if you can get under it I heard that makes it a little easier. I did them all from the passenger side except the far drivers side one. Took about 2 hours to do the 4 back ones. If you do them in future I would remove the strut bar and the fuse cover to give you a little more room

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
I just bought a 92 deville last week 120,000 miles,I've been cleaning it up and checking things out on it,it's basically been pretty well maintained,
I pulled one spark plug to see it's condition,it looks clean,but it's an autolite brand.

-would I be better off with a.c. delco or is it worth the effort?
-also how hard is it to change plugs on a 4.9?.

I removed the one plug from the front, but the back bank looks a little
more cramped.

Why did I buy another car?, I dunno.
I recently had all my plugs/wires changed on my 1995 Deville- 4.9 liter.I had all ac/delco plugs installed as the 4.9 was designed to run on those.
The Meineke mechanic that i watched install them had a rough time on the rear 2 on the drivers side---he had the correct tool to remove/install them but he had to straddle the left fender to get at them.He did them all from the top.
I felt sorry for the mechanic as his knuckles were tore up after he was done.I suggested he wear gloves before starting but he chose the barehanded approach.
I`ve seen others mention in this forum that getting the rear plugs is easier from the bottom of the vehicle.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
I recently had all my plugs/wires changed on my 1995 Deville- 4.9 liter.I had all ac/delco plugs installed as the 4.9 was designed to run on those.
The Meineke mechanic that i watched install them had a rough time on the rear 2 on the drivers side---he had the correct tool to remove/install them but he had to straddle the left fender to get at them.He did them all from the top.
I felt sorry for the mechanic as his knuckles were tore up after he was done.I suggested he wear gloves before starting but he chose the barehanded approach.
I`ve seen others mention in this forum that getting the rear plugs is easier from the bottom of the vehicle.
Gloves are a catch 22 sometimes. Yes it will protect your hands somewhat, but the rear plugs have to done by feel, when I did mine I never saw the plug until I had it out. I did it barehanded so I could feel the plugs easier. You may be able to use fingerless gloves so your fingertips can feel the porcelain while protecting the rest of your hands from the cuts

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
I recall being bloodied pretty well after changing the plugs on my '92. The Northstar is a piece of cake compared to the 4.9.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts