Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX & 1988 Seville
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a beautiful 88 Seville, garnet red interior & exterior w/upper white phaeton imitation convertible top- A one owner with 118 K - very well cared for. Lots of previous repairs completed and several new parts the seller gave me for "just in case" LOL. I have a few things that I'm wondering about before I take it in to the mechanic:

1) Using the power door locks, the driver door does not lock nor does it lock or unlock with the key. The power switch lever goes up and down with the power lock switch, but does not lock the door.
The passenger door works fine. When I push the door handle at night the key hole illuminates. The auto-lock door feature I thought worked
a couple of times, but now does not lock and unlock when putting the transmission into Drive and then back into park. Any ideas?

2) Had the AC refrigerant filled today (had a low coolant/compressor turned off message) It was about 1lb low holding about 2lbs total.
Now it gets nice and cold but only on low and normal fan speed works. When the high is switched, no increase of fan speed is actualized. I let
it run for an hour, then got the message AC compressor over heating which caused it to automatically shut the ac compressor off. Wondering if there
is a vacuum leak, switch or sensor bad. After letting the car sit about an hour, the AC came back on, but again, would not go to high
fan speed. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help. I had an 86 Eldorado and loved it but this 4.5 V8 is a kick in the pants. Having front struts put on Monday. The back ones
were already replaced. Should drive like a dream after this. 00303_1lPh3X8lHek_600x450.jpg

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Just picked up a beautiful 88 Seville, garnet red interior & exterior w/upper white phaeton imitation convertible top- A one owner with 118 K - very well cared for. Lots of previous repairs completed and several new parts the seller gave me for "just in case" LOL. I have a few things that I'm wondering about before I take it in to the mechanic:

1) Using the power door locks, the driver door does not lock nor does it lock or unlock with the key. The power switch lever goes up and down with the power lock switch, but does not lock the door.
The passenger door works fine. When I push the door handle at night the key hole illuminates. The auto-lock door feature I thought worked
a couple of times, but now does not lock and unlock when putting the transmission into Drive and then back into park. Any ideas?

2) Had the AC refrigerant filled today (had a low coolant/compressor turned off message) It was about 1lb low holding about 2lbs total.
Now it gets nice and cold but only on low and normal fan speed works. When the high is switched, no increase of fan speed is actualized. I let
it run for an hour, then got the message AC compressor over heating which caused it to automatically shut the ac compressor off. Wondering if there
is a vacuum leak, switch or sensor bad. After letting the car sit about an hour, the AC came back on, but again, would not go to high
fan speed. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help. I had an 86 Eldorado and loved it but this 4.5 V8 is a kick in the pants. Having front struts put on Monday. The back ones
were already replaced. Should drive like a dream after this. View attachment 305098
=======================

if I understand correctly -
the power lock actuator works -
but the actual door lock doesn't -

probably one of the lock-rods have fallen off -

remove the door panel - and investigate -

go here for a parts illustration -
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=838875&ukey_make=1085&ukey_model=15849&modelYear=1988&ukey_category=22549

look for parts #12 and #16

·
Registered
2008 SRX & 1988 Seville
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basscatt, thanks for your help. I'll get to it as soon as I look in the repair manual to see how to take the door panel off without tearing up something. I'll let you know what I discover. Any comments about the AC issues?

·
19,273 Posts
Basscatt, thanks for your help. I'll get to it as soon as I look in the repair manual to see how to take the door panel off without tearing up something. I'll let you know what I discover. Any comments about the AC issues?
======================
Any comments about the AC issues?
for fan speed - it could be the speed control resistor -

for the compressor shutting down -

if the freon gets too hot - yes there is a freon-temp sensor -
the compressor will shut down -
to allow the freon to spend more time in the condenser -

likewise - if pressure is too low -
the compressor will shut down -

post BOTH the high side and low side pressures -

with the system set to 60* -
blower set to a medium speed -
along with ambient air temp -
and duct temp from the center vents -

·
Registered
2008 SRX & 1988 Seville
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Opened up the door interior panel to discover the elec. latch was not fully engaging into the lift rod that unlocks the door. I believe, when the prior owner had the
driver's door upholstry repaired it was not properly put back together. I re-aligned the lift rod into the latch at it works beautifully. I suspect this because in the bag of
extra parts that the owner gave me was a plastic cover plate (same color as the interior) that fits behind the door latch pull. It was left off. I wondered why I could see
the interior of the door when looking carefully behind the door handle.

I am wondering why the auto door locking feature (unlocks door when shifting from park into drive and ulocks the door when moving it from drive into park) stopped working.
I will open up the console and see if the switch that is suppose to lock/unlock the doors is bad or misaligned. I'll report back when I have time to do this.

·
19,273 Posts
Opened up the door interior panel to discover the elec. latch was not fully engaging into the lift rod that unlocks the door. I believe, when the prior owner had the
driver's door upholstry repaired it was not properly put back together. I re-aligned the lift rod into the latch at it works beautifully. I suspect this because in the bag of
extra parts that the owner gave me was a plastic cover plate (same color as the interior) that fits behind the door latch pull. It was left off. I wondered why I could see
the interior of the door when looking carefully behind the door handle.

I am wondering why the auto door locking feature (unlocks door when shifting from park into drive and ulocks the door when moving it from drive into park) stopped working.
I will open up the console and see if the switch that is suppose to lock/unlock the doors is bad or misaligned. I'll report back when I have time to do this.
==========================

I re-aligned the lift rod into the latch at it works beautifully.
:thumbsup: -

are the power locks fully functunal - manually?
both with the buttons - and the key?

·
Registered
2008 SRX & 1988 Seville
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, all doors unlock/lock when the power unlock switch (from both front doors) is pushed. The two front doors also lock/unlock with the key. The two rear doors lock when
the auto lock switch is pushed but only can be unlocked manually (per the owners manual) by lifting the lock lever.

I'm suspecting a faulty switch inside the console that the shifter activates when moved is the culprit. I'll removed the console to see when I have a chance. Any other
ideas of what it might be. Iv'e only had the car a few days and I thought it worked when I first test drove the car. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
19,273 Posts
Yes, all doors unlock/lock when the power unlock switch (from both front doors) is pushed. The two front doors also lock/unlock with the key. The two rear doors lock when
the auto lock switch is pushed but only can be unlocked manually (per the owners manual) by lifting the lock lever.

I'm suspecting a faulty switch inside the console that the shifter activates when moved is the culprit. I'll removed the console to see when I have a chance. Any other
ideas of what it might be. Iv'e only had the car a few days and I thought it worked when I first test drove the car. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
====================

before dissembling the car - remember KISS -
Keep It Simple -

you have the Owners Manual - that's excellent -

go through it - look specifically for
PERSONALIZATION - PREFERENCES - CUSTOMIZATION -
something like that -

it may be a simple setting that got changed -

sometimes the "memory" in various modules gets corrupted -

to force a "re-set" -
disconnect BOTH battery cables -
and touch them together -
this erases all memory -