Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury FWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are enjoying our new (to us) 2012 SRX Luxury w/ Nav. The local dealer has been good to work with and the car is up to date on all maintenance and recalls (including the sunroof drains). We have 45,000 miles on the car. Is there anything we should look out for before our final Premium Maintenance visit before the factory warranty runs out?

We really love the car (and to put it in perspective, the SRX is quite an upgrade from our old 2001 Toyota Highlander 4cly base model which we sold when the annual repair costs started to exceed the value of the car).

This forum has been a wonderful resource for us and the SRX quirks people talk about (radio turns on with Nav etc..) don't bother us.

For background, we last owned a Caddy in the late 1980's. Since that time we've had a mix of VW, Mazda, Chrysler, Volvo, Mercury, Honda, and Toyota. The 2012 SRX is the newest, nicest car we have ever had.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Performance SRX
93 Posts
Most certainly purchase an extended warranty from your dealer! It should more than pay for itself down the road. Cadillac repairs are costly.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
If you have all wheel drive I'd make sure the rear axle parts are not leaking. Check that the sunroof drains are working properly by pouring water down each corner of the sunroof where the drains are. Check for play or noise in the wheel bearings front and rear. Make sure every electrical button works as it should. Check under your carpets front middle and cargo area and spare tire area for water leaks. If your gas tank makes sloshing noise there is a tsb to fix it by installing a new gas tank. Maybe have autozone( or dealer if they'll do it for free) check for any error codes in the computer. Make sure all your interior panels and trim fit properly and are attached firmly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury FWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the quick replies!

Re extended warranties - I've read several of the GMPP threads on the forum and the advice ranges from buy it (and how to get a good deal) to don't buy it and instead set aside $3,000 in a savings account for future repairs. I get the impression the 2012 FWD has been more reliable than prior years, but repairs can be expensive. I will do some more research and price out the options.

Re Sunroof drains: I have stupid question - do I pour water on each corner with the roof closed? or do I open it up and carefully look for the drain holes?

Re electrical: so far all the buttons and switches seem to work as designed.

Re gas tank sloshing: I have not noticed but I will pay closer attention the next time I have a partial tank of gas.

The only think I have heard is that the A/C / Heater fan intermittently squeaks when spinning at a very low speed. (I have the fan set to auto).

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Open the roof and pour some water down the edges of the drains. There is plenty of recessed area to not spill it into the interior. The water should drain near the wheel wells on each corner.

The gas tank sloshing will happen most often at about 1/2 - 7/8 full when in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury FWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you adamjeeps - I will try that this weekend.

Re extended waranty - I have a call into James Black to get the pricing and options.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury FWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most certainly purchase an extended warranty from your dealer! It should more than pay for itself down the road. Cadillac repairs are costly.
I called James Black Cadillac and they quoted me a 40 month / 40 K miles GMEPP plan for $1,850. There were other longer term options but both well over $2,000. I going to try my local dealer for comparison.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium, Red
158 Posts
Check the front wheel bearings. At 30-45 mph turn wheel side to side slightly and listen closely for a rumble type sound that changes pitch when you do that. I noticed it at 22000 miles and LF wheel bearing was bad. I also learned about a fix for excessive wind noise from the roof. Cadillac has a TSB for excessive space between the rear hatch and roof. They install a rubber gasket in that space that corrects the problem. Only other issue I had was an annoying "drip" of washer fluid down the rear window when only the FRONT washers were used. Took 4 trips, and another dealership, to properly diagnose it as a faulty washer pump. Since I also have a 2012, this info might be helpful.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
Contact AAA for a quote for Extended Warrantee. Make sure it I Auto Mobile Club of America and nit a knockoff. I have used them on my 06 DTS and were great. Dealer tried to scam me for overcharging clock hours for a repair. I requested a printout from the dealership with the clock hours to do the repair, they refused and did the repair at the rate AAA was paying which was the correct charge. They always answer the phone and return emails quickly.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury FWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Open the roof and pour some water down the edges of the drains. There is plenty of recessed area to not spill it into the interior. The water should drain near the wheel wells on each corner.

The gas tank sloshing will happen most often at about 1/2 - 7/8 full when in stop and go traffic.
I checked the sunroof drains today and the water drained at each wheel well. I listened for drips etc. inside and felt for moisture. It seems like all 4 drains are working properly.

·
Registered
2016 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum
137 Posts
I would highly suggest only the GM warranty. Alan Black sells only the NEW GM warranty. I extended my Platinum DTS 2011 until the year 2021 or 100K. Alan likes to talk Cadillac's also do not forget no sales tax if you live outside of PA.
Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts