Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently purchased a white 2001 Deville Base with 81,000 miles for $8,000.

I have been bringing the car up to working order. I just replaced the starter (What a pain!), 4 tires - new Goodyear Eagle GS-Hs, and a new battery. Unfortunatley, the car has run into the typical Caddy 60mph road vibration. Hopefully, the perscribed "Road Force Balance" will take care of it.Also noticed that the corners of the dash have peeled up. Seems like typical shoddy GM interior construction to me. I used 3M Trim Adhesive to glue the corners back in.

Question - The rear brake pads are in need of replacement. I've done many brake jobs, and was wondering if there was anything in particular that I need to watch out for when I replace these pads. I also noticed that on the driver rear brake, the inner pad is completely worn, while the outer is about 1/2 worn. Seems a bit strange to me. Is this a sign of anything? This car was dealer serviced, so it would not surprise me if the dealership screwed up the last brake job and caused the above problem.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Question - The rear brake pads are in need of replacement. I've done many brake jobs, and was wondering if there was anything in particular that I need to watch out for when I replace these pads.
The rear caliper pistons must be turned clockwise to retract them into the brake cylinder bore. There are two pins on the pad backing plate to give you an idea of how the groves in the piston have to be aligned in order to fit the pads properly. Open the bleeder valve to make it all a little easier.

Completely flush the brake line plumbing with fresh fluid, front and rear.
I also noticed that on the driver rear brake, the inner pad is completely worn, while the outer is about 1/2 worn. Seems a bit strange to me. Is this a sign of anything?
It usually indicates the caliper mounting pins are not allowing the free floating caliper to move freely. You will have to completely remove the caliper mount in order to clean up the pins and lubricate them with a thin coat of the proper grease. I would service both sides the same way.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You paid $8k for the car in non working order?.
It was in working order when I bought it. The starter went out three days after I bought the car. The tires that came with the car were very questionable... So I decided to slap 4 new ones on.

I looked at 3 other 2001 Devilles in my area. All of them had around 80K miles, and I could not get the dealers to budge below $13,000. In fact, one of the other Devilles I looked at had compression issues, and signs of a leaking head gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts