Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my Mother a few months ago and have acquired her 2005 Deville...it has been sitting for a couple years or so come to find out so it has some issues otherwise it seems to be a solid car...I am hoping for some guidance to find a direction for remedying the situation...

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,690 Posts
Welcome to the forums! When you start asking specific questions, be sure you choose the correct forum page for your car. For starters, we need to know if your Deville is base model, DHS, or DTS. Also, your car has a builtin code scanner. There are instructions at top of the 1985-2005 Deville page on how to pull codes, and find definitions.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

Get your feet wet by messing around in the Deville and Engines, Northstar forums. Study the stickies in any forum of interest - timeless info.

A 2005 Deville is the last model year real Deville - the later "DTS" is not a Deville. Your car's trim level is necessary info - base, DHS, DTS - somewhat different cars with different maintenance/repair advice.

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums! When you start asking specific questions, be sure you choose the correct forum page for your car. For starters, we need to know if your Deville is base model, DHS, or DTS. Also, your car has a builtin code scanner. There are instructions at top of the 1985-2005 Deville page on how to pull codes, and find definitions.
Ok thank you for that...I know theres all kinda (rules) to these things so I will do my best to adhere...

·
Registered
96 FWB
194 Posts
It's not a matter so much of respettin' the athori-tay, but just getting the best bang from your viewing effort and posting(s). But a crafty sort could wisely spend months combing through all the archived intel ferreted away here.

With a handle like yours.... you'll do just fine.

Sorry to hear of your ma. And welcome.

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the sentiment...I have a base trim model deville and the issue is the car sat for 2 years and it started up fine with a new battery however when i went to move it it was locked up like the emergency brake was stuck or something...???...did the rock back and forth and replaced all the components except the booster and driver side and both rear brake lines as the front passenger seemed to be locking up so I am fully baffled...???

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recently became an owner due to my Mom passing and come to find out the car had been sitting for a cpl yrs so I changed fluids dropped a new battery and she fired right up however when going to move she was locked up so I rocked her back n forth and all that but still no progress...replaced all braking components except for the booster and the driver side and 2 rear brake lines...when trying to drive the front passenger would heat up and smoke...which prompted to start replacing rotors calipers pads and all that so after replacing everything and flushing the old fluid out and refill with new still it is like the emergency brake is on and holding back just a little...no abs messages or anything when started up just check tire pressure...service tire monitor and check washer fluid...???

(Moderator edit: 2 threads on the same car same subject have been merged into this one in Deville. Sub.)

·
Registered
96 FWB
194 Posts
Most 4-wheel discs have little e-brake shoes hiding in the rear rotor. It sounds you installed new rotors, so did you find them too? You need to narrow the prob to front or back (hopefully not both):
-Jack front - do the fronts freewheel perfectly in gear? If bind, then fubared constant velocity bearing - or wheel bearing - (doubtful if no noise or obvious grinding)
If no bind at all then; -Jack rear - remove wheels - do they freewheel without bind? If bind maybe rusted cable keeping e-shoes locked.

That's about all I got. Maybe someoe who knows the car will happen by. Have you tried any searching about this on here or general google yet?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
My money is on a rusted parking brake cable (if the rear calipers were replaced).
That said, if that where the case, I'd assume you'd have had a hard time removing the caliper and an ever harder time installing it.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
Not sure if the '05 has the lever hidden up in the parking brake mechanism that you can flip by hand to release the parking brake.
I seem to remember it being a small yellow handle... like 3/4".
Just sayin'....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Not sure about 2005 and later.

Prior to 2005 there is a small tab up in the parking brake lever mechanism - to trip the brake in the event of electrical failure - it's solenoid operated and should be exercised at least twice a month to keep the cables freed up.

.......... and no parking brake "shoes". It's all done with a lever that applies pressure on the rear caliper pistons.

You screw those pistons back into the caliper and align them with the indents on the rear pads. DO NOT attempt to press the pistons back into the caliper.

Rear brake caliper.gif
Rear caliper bracket bolts.gif
rear caliper pin bolt.gif

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
Not sure if the '05 has the lever hidden up in the parking brake mechanism that you can flip by hand to release the parking brake.
I seem to remember it being a small yellow handle... like 3/4".
Just sayin'....
=========================
NO -
the automatic parking brake release was eliminated starting in 2004 -

THIS - copied from the Owners Manual -
To release the parking brake, hold the regular brake
pedal down with your right foot and push the parking
brake pedal down with your left foot. When you lift your
left foot, the parking brake pedal will follow it to the
released position.
If you try to drive with the parking brake on, after about
20 feet (6.1 m) a chime will sound continuously until
you release the parking brake. Also, the brake light will

stay on until the parking brake is released.

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most 4-wheel discs have little e-brake shoes hiding in the rear rotor. It sounds you installed new rotors, so did you find them too? You need to narrow the prob to front or back (hopefully not both):
-Jack front - do the fronts freewheel perfectly in gear? If bind, then fubared constant velocity bearing - or wheel bearing - (doubtful if no noise or obvious grinding)
If no bind at all then; -Jack rear - remove wheels - do they freewheel without bind? If bind maybe rusted cable keeping e-shoes locked.

That's about all I got. Maybe someoe who knows the car will happen by. Have you tried any searching about this on here or general google yet?
Ok so thank you for your feedback...I have not found anything really helpful...my issue is the front passenger side just seems to be locked...i was not able to move the car at first...when I put it in gear it would not move so I rocked back and forward and when I put it in gear to move it would take alot of acceleration to go either direction so put it up and started diagnosing...all rotors replaced...all pads and the front right passenger was giving issues still...???...so I replaced the brake line and the caliper twice now...so I can travel maybe a mile and a half 2 miles and it is hot as can be starts to smoke and it is just the damndest thing...new reservoir and cylinder...all other wheels roll and do fine...they do not get hot or anything...the front passenger side is now the problem...at first the car would not roll but now it has gotten better however you hear the pads rubbing on that wheel only...???

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure about 2005 and later.

Prior to 2005 there is a small tab up in the parking brake lever mechanism - to trip the brake in the event of electrical failure - it's solenoid operated and should be exercised at least twice a month to keep the cables freed up.

.......... and no parking brake "shoes". It's all done with a lever that applies pressure on the rear caliper pistons.

You screw those pistons back into the caliper and align them with the indents on the rear pads. DO NOT attempt to press the pistons back into the caliper.

View attachment 577946 View attachment 577947 View attachment 577948
So I have looked for this what did you call it...small tab in the parking brake lever...???...I am not seeing what you are referring to...???

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My money is on a rusted parking brake cable (if the rear calipers were replaced).
That said, if that where the case, I'd assume you'd have had a hard time removing the caliper and an ever harder time installing it.
Ya it's not the rear...the rear brakes are fine were easy to replace the rotor and pads...the issue is the front passenger side seems to be fully locked up ish...lol

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
424 Posts
Maybe you have done this?...what I would do with what you report:
Remove R/F wheel
Remove caliper/pads/reinstall caliper
Spin the axle by hand, check the runout/centering between the caliper/rotor ie is something warped, bent or ??
I can't see it very likely the knuckle is that tweeked, but something is amiss obviously. A wrong/bad part?

Then a piece of wood etc, about the thicknees of rotor, get the pads retracted some, get the spacer in there, mash the brakes, pull the spacer and see how well the piston retracts...ie nice and smooth,,,might take a few trys/visuals of WTF is going on. You will of course have to 'push' them in, carefully/straight back/no cocking/jamming.

Eliminate a bad caliper/piston, a bad or too thick rotor, a cockeyed or something goofed up knuckle.

That's really all it can be unless it is a hydraulic line, somehow it is 'checking' and won't release the pressure after you apply the brakes. That 'might' make me wonder more about how the traction control works, if their is brake action, the Firebirds futz with the throttle. I haven't looked into the caddys real deep....yet. haha
Goodluck/be safe

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
When you replaced the front calipers, did you clean and lube or at least inspect, the caliper slide pins?

EDIT:
One other thing comes to mind. I recall a discussion in the past about a brake hose deteriorating and collapsing internally, acting like a check valve, allowing brake fluid under pressure to apply the brake, but not allowing the pressure to be released, thus keeping the caliper clamped on the rotor. It's not a common problem and a long shot, but something to consider since you seem to have exhausted all other options.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
This collapsed hose is more prevalent than you might think. This was my first thought early in this discussion until Ranger brought it up.

·
2005 Deville base
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the hard line
This collapsed hose is more prevalent than you might think. This was my first thought early in this discussion until Ranger brought it up.
Yes I did check the slide pins and they are lubed and good and the the new brake hose I hope is not internally collapsed being as it has not run or driven anywhere...???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts