Cadillac Owners Forum banner
913 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  caddylacgirl96 
#1 ·
ok, just purchased a 96 SLS monday... now this thing had me worrying until i did some searching and found its a pretty common thing for the check oil level light to come on (oils full) car had me freaking out and checking the oil every time it came on.. found out how to pull the codes on the dash, only one was a rs0060 in history.. cleared that.. but service ride controll will come on sometimes but not another code is showing up.. i guess my question is.. are these cars just "fussy" or do they normally have alot of issues?? This is my first one so im kinda paranoid lol

#2 ·
:welcome:Not all that "fussy" but they do an ecellent job of self monitoring. If your check oil level light came on and the level was full, it is most likely a failing oil level sensor.

Now that you are a member of the family, go to the top left of this page , click on Technical Archives and read up on WOT, oil consumption and trans flushing. Also read up on cooling system maintanence via the search feature if it is not in the Tech Archives.

#3 ·
If the check oil light is coming on, and the dipstick reads FULL then you probably need a new oil level sensor. It's not too expensive and easy to replace, and probably something you should do because if you do indeed have a low oil level one day and you brush it off as a faulty warning, you could starve your engine for oil. But that's just worst case scenario. About the "Service Ride Control", if your lucky its a loose connection thats triggering it, if you're unlucky its part of your suspension wearing out. This is my first Cadillac as well, and I can say that all of them seem to wear different. Luck of the draw I guess, some people have almost no problems with way over 100,000 miles, others have had problems with 40,000. Preventive maintenance is key, especially with the Northstar cooling system.. so try to stay on top of that one. Make sure you add the necessary cooling supplement to prevent problems down the line. Competely FLOOR the car sometimes, it helps cut down on oil usage and its a nice experience. :cool2: Do a search on it as well as others things your wondering about, you'll learn alot about your car here.. I sure have! Enjoy your caddy!

Edit: Ranger ya beat me to it. ;)

#4 ·
Thanks guys.. aparently the front stabilizer bushings are bad, and now the passenger side blows hot air with the heat on but the driver side is cold ( was 43 degrees this am lol) but the heated seats work great. ya lol ive already acomplished the flooring it part, i live in chicago thats a daily experience.. and it was a nice one was actually shocked something that big could get up and move like that. im gonna replace the sensor this weekend, then have the bushings replaced , other than than replacing the annoying antenna and figuring out the heat gremlins, ( yes ac off and on max heat still blows cold but only drivers side) she will be perfect, esp for the price i paid i dont mind putting some money into something like this.. it rides so smooth.. alot better than the camaro's ive been driving

#5 ·
caddylacgirl96 said:
Thanks guys.. aparently the front stabilizer bushings are bad, and now the passenger side blows hot air with the heat on but the driver side is cold ( was 43 degrees this am lol) but the heated seats work great. ya lol ive already acomplished the flooring it part, i live in chicago thats a daily experience.. and it was a nice one was actually shocked something that big could get up and move like that. im gonna replace the sensor this weekend, then have the bushings replaced , other than than replacing the annoying antenna and figuring out the heat gremlins, ( yes ac off and on max heat still blows cold but only drivers side) she will be perfect, esp for the price i paid i dont mind putting some money into something like this.. it rides so smooth.. alot better than the camaro's ive been driving
Warmed air should be evenly distributed to the footwells when the heating cycle is selected. If the majority of air escapes on the passenger side, I would suspect a restriction such as a damper door not working as it should. No big deal, nothing to freak about but something to look into before the next blizzard hits.

#8 ·
lol thats the first thing i did and have been doing that all day.. still cold air on drivers side warm on passenger through all vents no matter where i set it to blow out of. but i still cant complain i only paid 1500 for it, thinking of going back and getting the 98 they have for sale as well.. never ever though i would like a fullsized "luxury" car as much as i like this one... called hubby today to tell him i was comming to get my car cause driving his explorer sucked after driving the caddy lol

#10 ·
well tuesday i have to do some work on my mustang, and was planning on changing the oil and replacing the sensor in the SLS, ill go ahead and flush the heater core as well then and then if nothing else check out the acuators as well.. this site is amazing.. thanks for the constant help and things to look for

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.