Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
01 DHS (R.I.P 214k), 02 ESC, 05 STS V8
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks days ago, i installed new tires onto my STS. Falken Ziex ZE950. I wanted Conti's DWS but my wallet dictated me otherwise (thank you magic the gathering and anniversary weekend) My car is equipped with the 18s. after about 5 days i noticed my TPMS light snapped on. no issue. new tires, weird things happen, right? went back to my shop and added more air. hopped on I93 for a bit and the light goes away.

well, here i am again, nearly 2 weeks after the install, to add more air. once again, tire pressures in 3 of the wheels are below 25psi. Nothing is wrong with my tpms sensors or valve stems, i have yet to even get the "service tire monitoring system" love note on my dash.

i'm open to any recommendations. the simpler the better lol I've looked around and nothing that usually causes this dillema is present with my car. (obviously im wrong) but my guys at the shop, properly cleaned and mounted my tires and i have never had this issue with any of my cars. BUT, this is the first time im using the falken brand. (maybe thats the culprit)...:hmm:

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,889 Posts
Dismount the tires, clean/polish the bead mounting surfaces, use a bead sealant upon remounting. Common problem.

Have a good tire shop do it, then get a Hunter Road Force balance job at the same time - before the bead sealant sets up.

Hard to imagine that 2, 3, 4 new tires would have manufacturing defect leaks right off the bat.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,242 Posts
Yeah, I'd bet it's leaking at the bead. If you want to prove it, just pump the tire up to about 90 psi. Then spray soapy water around the bead. I'd bet it will foam like a mad dog.

I had that slow leak problem once before and could not find the leak to save my life. Soapy water showed no leaks. I finally Pumped the tire to 100 psi and boy did the leak show itself. Took the tire to the nearest tire store to have them clean and seal it. I told the guy to advise the tech that is had 100 psi in it (it was still foaming). The guy next to me looked at me and said "not any more". :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'd bet it's leaking at the bead. If you want to prove it, just pump the tire up to about 90 psi. Then spray soapy water around the bead. I'd bet it will foam like a mad dog.

I had that slow leak problem once before and could not find the leak to save my life. Soapy water showed no leaks. I finally Pumped the tire to 100 psi and boy did the leak show itself. Took the tire to the nearest tire store to have them clean and seal it. I told the guy to advise the tech that is had 100 psi in it (it was still foaming). The guy next to me looked at me and said "not any more". :)
100psi . . . really...

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
800 Posts
Possible that the wheels have a little dirt , defect or rust on the edges. A good tire shop will dismount and clean or repair the wheel, often at no charge, and reset you to go.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,634 Posts
Are your wheels chrome? If so, they're probably flaking and just need to have the good ol' whiz wheel taken to the bead surface. Happens all the time.

And yeah, when the bead is set there's definitely 80+ PSI going on. You won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,764 Posts
Of course you want to release that 80, 90 or whatever psi you use after you’ve sprayed soapy water. In other words, do not drive with that insane amount of psi in the tires.

KOT

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input everyone. took the car back to the shop and they went around each wheel for a clean and re-install. no issues since, and enoyed a good drive from boston to hampton beach

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,634 Posts
Excellent!

Good to hear it was a simple fix at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts