Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 27K + miles out of the RSA runflats, but I swapped them out today for a set of a new GoodYear non-runflat tire. The GY Eagle F1 All Season . I stayed with the stock size 245/45/18 for the car. This is a new tire for G.Y. so there's no real history for it yet, but it's got a treadwear rating of 420 and is a Ultra High Performance tire ( Y rated ) . We'll see how they do. :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+All+Season&partnum=445YR8F1ASXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has Two Carbon Fiber reinforced sidewalls in the design. Can't comment too much on them yet as they are new today and I'll want to break them in. But they have softened the ride of the car some more over bumps and the road. I'm going to try and put a few hundred miles on them before throwing them into a good turn. Should do that this week as I have to drive out of town on Wednesday.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Hey what did you do with the old tires? I know a former Marine that is in need of a quick temporary fix.. Showing cords in one rear and the other is bald...

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey what did you do with the old tires? I know a former Marine that is in need of a quick temporary fix.. Showing cords in one rear and the other is bald...

I let them "dispose" of them.

I asked him on Sat if he wanted me to have them save one of the RSAs for him and he said he already had a replacement on the way.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Yea but he just found out today the other rear with some tread left is even worse, showing cords, so now he needs 2 and only has 1 on the way. Oh well, you tried!

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
27K on your RSA EMTs? I have 15K on mine and they aren't even half worn yet. You will miss the quick steering response you get with the stiff sidewalls on an EMT. But the prices have gone through the roof on the RSA EMTs ($309 each at Tirerack). I noticed the F1 All Season is selling for $197 now at Tirerack.

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced them with 27K, but I was not quite to the wear bars. They probably would have made it to 30K. I did rotate the tires every 7-8K miles.

We'll see as far as handling goes. These seem to have a good feel, but I won't really know till I start doing stuff to engage stability control. :D

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Good looking tread pattern, interested to hear how well they handle rain. The RSA's are almost better in the wet than dry.

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got to go down Austin way so I may get a good chance to test them in the rain and on the highway.

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you've got a Discount tire, Firestone, or Goodyear place around you could just call them and ask.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
No discount tire, Goodyear wants $34/tire +tax. When they did the plug, they scratch the hell out of my rim. I wanted to avoid them this time.
But it looks like I'll be going back.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
No discount tire, Goodyear wants $34/tire +tax. When they did the plug, they scratch the hell out of my rim. I wanted to avoid them this time.
But it looks like I'll be going back.
Goodyear stores vary quite a bit in their ability to handle our rims. When I bought new tires from them I showed them the rim and told point blank that new ones cost over $700 each. They sold me the tires, but took wheels to another Goodyear store 10 miles away to change them out because the other store had a brand new machine designed to handle our type of soft rim. So you might want ask them out rim treatment up front.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
Goodyear stores vary quite a bit in their ability to handle our rims. When I bought new tires from them I showed them the rim and told point blank that new ones cost over $700 each. They sold me the tires, but took wheels to another Goodyear store 10 miles away to change them out because the other store had a brand new machine designed to handle our type of soft rim. So you might want ask them out rim treatment up front.
It's not just the equipment. You also need to find a shop that has someone trained to use it. Case in point. The first time I thought I had found a Goodyear shop that knew how to mount EMTs on our wheels. The tech was trained and did a perfect job. The next time I went to the same shop a different crew of workers screwed up 2 out of 4 wheels mounting new tires using the same equipment as before. Unless you know the guy(s) doing the work, don't trust them!

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Might be hitting the road with plug in my tire then.
Ewwww. (i'm not a tire plug fan on performance vehicles, especially for a road trip)

Seriously, if you're talking a difference of 15.00 per wheel to have the dealership mount the tire with the proper equipment and not damage the wheel, (personal opinion) I would just pay the difference. Mounting tires shouldn't have to occur that often and if it will keep the wheel from getting damaged, that's worth it in my mind. I can skip a night out or dinner at a decent place to have good tires and clean wheels on my car. But that's just my opinion. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts