Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its about that time to replace the tires on my 2005 CTS. Oh and also the whole front end suspension too because of all the Fing squeaking, but I'll deal with that latter.

Can we put wider tires on than the stock size? I think that might look a little cooler..probably wont happen though.

Any recommendations on a good cheap/mid grade tire. I have Bridgestone Potenzas on there now and dont feel like spending that much for a new set really.

I know theres a few of these post, but I couldn't find many specifics on the different width.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
I went with 235/45r17s (Falken FK-452, summer) and am pretty happy with them. I've heard at least one other forum member say they were able to get 245/45r17s on stock rims. The first number in tire size is the width in mm. 225/50r17 is the stock 17" size.

-GT

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
I purchased a set of 225/50/17 Dunlop Signatures a few months ago. I got a sick deal at treadepot.com. They were offering $75 off any set of 4 tires plus free shipping. Ended up paying like $365.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I have to stand by those General UHP for summer driving, they took quite a bit of hwy km from me and the guy I got them from with minimal tire wear. When I sold them the guy that took them was suprised how much tread on them. Also a buddy of mine is running them and loves them. Just watch out for anything that resembles snow....that is when it is time to hide!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm yall think a 245 or 235 would look better on the stock polished 17s then 225? I guess its personal opinion i just dont know if it would look weird..

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The CTS-V has 245/45-18. The wheel wells are the same. So correct me if I am wrong, but I should think that size would work on the CTS as well. The only difference I see is that the wheels on my V are closer to flush with the fenders, where on the CTS, they are recessed a little. Assuming the studs are long enough, spacers should take care of that. Bear in mind though, you will likely loose performance and economy with a wider tire.

What I would like to do when I replace the tires on my CTS is stay with 225 width, but go with a larger profile. So instead of 225/50-17, go to the 225/55-17 or maybe even 225/60/17 to give me a little more cush over the crappy roads here in Chicago.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'll probably stick with 225/50/17 and not go wider. There are some used sets in Houston, about an hour away from me in College Station of Bridgestone Potenzas for like $250 or so with 80% tread left. Can't really beat that deal...I'll let yall know how it goes if I give the place a visit.

·
Registered
CTS w/ sports suspension
43 Posts
I went with the Michelin A/S from Costco. We decided that the 235/50 x 17 would work and they did.

I have had them a year and what a difference from the original Goodyears. The car handles even better now--and the ride got better.

I drive in OC, Calif--so no winter snow issues.

Best wishes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts