Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,042 Posts
I will concede this. When the PS4 get to the last bit of tread left the wet traction goes away fast.
No tread, no traction. Drivinghhome two days ago from work I saw a Cobra in the field. The roads were wet but the sun was out. This guy was out for a ride and must have goosed it, lost traction and messed his beautiful car up badly.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,042 Posts
From a Car & Driver review of the Honda S2000, "certain owners had discovered inappropriate vehicle rotation at the point of disappearing talent".
Excellent!

·
Registered
none
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
17,000 miles on the 18 ATS-V. 5-6/32nds on the front OEM MPSSs and 3/32nds on the rears. Debated getting four 4Ss but decided to get the 2 rear MPSSs as the rear seems to wear about twice as fast as the front. Had them put on today. They also had a set of similar sized 4Ss sitting there. The visual difference is that the 4S has very wide water channels circumferentially around the tire. Appeared to be 3 times as wide as the tread chanels on the MPSS. So that is where they get their great wet performance. However those wide grooves definitely leave less tire on the ground. So I am surprised they handle as well in the dry or under braking. I do live in a dry climate so don't mind the slightly less wet performance. I likely will try the 4Ss when I need them all replaced in 2 years. My guess is that wide channel will give substantial tread squirm if you really are driving 10/10ths on a track and give you a heat problem.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,737 Posts
17,000 miles on the 18 ATS-V. 5-6/32nds on the front OEM MPSSs and 3/32nds on the rears. Debated getting four 4Ss but decided to get the 2 rear MPSSs as the rear seems to wear about twice as fast as the front. Had them put on today. They also had a set of similar sized 4Ss sitting there. The visual difference is that the 4S has very wide water channels circumferentially around the tire. Appeared to be 3 times as wide as the tread channels on the MPSS. So that is where they get their great wet performance. However those wide grooves definitely leave less tire on the ground. So I am surprised they handle as well in the dry or under braking. I do live in a dry climate so don't mind the slightly less wet performance. I likely will try the 4Ss when I need them all replaced in 2 years. My guess is that wide channel will give substantial tread squirm if you really are driving 10/10ths on a track and give you a heat problem.
That's not why they have better wet handling alone. The have a different rubber compound on part of the tread, I believe the inside tread. It greatly enhances the wet grip. The channels just keep you from hydroplaning. The only tire that had the early stages of this technology were the PSS that were specifically designed for this car and have a different part number than the generic PSS.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
333 Posts
17,000 miles on the 18 ATS-V. 5-6/32nds on the front OEM MPSSs and 3/32nds on the rears. Debated getting four 4Ss but decided to get the 2 rear MPSSs as the rear seems to wear about twice as fast as the front.
My S2000 wore the rears 2x as fast as the fronts very decidedly but I don't find that with the V. I autocross which leads to launches and rotation using wheelspin to position the car without undue wear. Last year I had about 1/32nd difference between the fronts and rears at the end of the year. I replaced tires for this season and measured them yesterday with little, if any, difference. This is with Hankook R-S4 extreme performance tires, not PSS or 4S tires but I doubt that would make a difference other than overall mileage.

I wonder if you have an alignment issue (or you launch a ton)...

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
241 Posts
I wear my fronts a little faster than my rears. I'm on my 7th set of front tires and 6th set of rears.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts