Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
none
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM of course is the MPSS. Been a great tire. I have it on the V car as well as on the Z06. But now we have the 4S as an available choice. Has anyone gone that way that can give us some comparison thoughts to share?

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT, 2006 XLR
168 Posts
I use them on my 2016 V and honestly I wish I had never bought them. While they handle real well under a variety of conditions, once you get up to 40 mph and above, they are the noisiest tires I have ever used. Should have gone the the Continentals. Just my opinion for what its worth. I am not an aggressive driver either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Noise is what I would be concerned about. The pilot super sports are pretty quiet on most road surfaces.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V Sedan
57 Posts
The original ATS-V Michelin PSS tires were supposedly a unique design with a TPC SPEC. A couple of years ago I believe Michelin was selling both the standard tire and the TPC SPEC tire. Now I can only find one tire listed which I think is the TPC SPEC. I emailed Michelin and they gave a somewhat vague answer saying it "should" be the TPC SPEC.

If anyone has purchased PSS tires lately, can you confirm that they are the correct TPC SPEC tire? Front tire TPC SPEC shown in photo.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,248 Posts
I recently bought the 4s about a thousand miles ago. My OEM mpss had cupped edges on the fronts and were incredibly loud. So far the 4s seem to handle quite well on turn in and cornering. I'm pleased. I live in sunny FLA and basically worry about cops, rain and Florida Man while driving.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,248 Posts
I can't truly answer. Are they quieter than the OEM tires I just replaced?
My OEMs were cupped and worn and therefore quite noisy. So, yes, my new 4s are quieter. However, new OEM vs. new 4s I can't honestly say. Apologies since I can't give the right answer, but I don't want to mislead or just give an opinion without all the facts.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
653 Posts
The only mss being sold right now are TCP spec. Everything Ive read states that 4s are a step up in every way and especially in wet conditions.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm running the 4S on my car now and prefer them to the original tires in terms of steering feel and grip, both straight line and cornering. Haven't driven them in the rain yet so can't comment on wet performance, but reviews seem to say the 4S is better in the wet compared to the PSS. Neither are recommended for use in cold weather for reasons of tread cracking.

As far as noise... both are max performance summer tires, low noise isn't really their primary design criteria... but they aren't bad. IMO the 4S is comparable to or slightly quieter than the PSS-- both start off pretty quiet but the noise does increase as they wear, and the noise is very surface dependent regardless of wear level. They're pretty quiet on smooth asphalt, but do get a bit of the "roar" on worn surfaces with more exposed aggregate.

I've ran much noisier max performance summer tires by other manufacturers on my other cars, the Michelin's are pretty darn quiet.

So far wear rate of the 4S seems to be pretty comparable to the OE PSS. I killed the stock tires in ~12k miles, both fronts and back were into the wear bars with substantial shoulder wear from cornering. I have 5k miles on the 4S now and think they may last a bit longer than the PSS... but not by much.

As mentioned above, hard to make a true objective comparison without driving the car back to back on fresh PSS and then on fresh 4S tires since most of us went from worn out PSS to fresh 4S, but overall I do prefer the 4S to the PSS.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
346 Posts
Since the thread subject asks about the 4S ZP, I'd vote against those simply because they're run-flats.

·
Registered
15,248 Posts
My tires are not the run flats, nor will I purchase any.

Reactions: RudyF6

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
349 Posts
One my third set of PS4Ss and will never run any other tire. The grip is incredible as well as the treadlife (assuming you aren't doing burnouts every 5 feet)

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
646 Posts
I have the PS4S's 265 up front and 285 in the rear. If I had to do it all over again, I still get the PS4S's, but in OEM size (at least up front). I do get some rub up front - especially when turning in reverse. It's very minor and seldom but it does happen which is annoying.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V Sedan
57 Posts
The only mss being sold right now are TCP spec.
I can confirm that this is correct. I just ordered a replacement front Michelin PSS from my local Mavis tire store and it has the TPC SEC molded in the sidewall. Michelin part number is 03772.

·
Registered
15,248 Posts
Came home from our cabin today, about 325 miles. Had a couple of good downpours. These tire handled puddling on the road tremendously. I was pleased.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,750 Posts
The PSS that was designed for the V were a different compound than the standard PSS. That design lead to the 4S. I'm on my 3rd set of 4S tires now and have to say they are the best summer performance tire you can buy. Great in the dry and quite amazing in the wet. The 4S was designed to be quieter than the PSS and it definitely is. I compare these in noise to the Conti DW and now the Extreme Sport.
I've owned these as well and the 4S is a step above. In no way would I ever say they are noisy.
Each set has lasted me about 24k miles in the rear and 28k miles for the fronts.
I would completely avoid any run flat.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Sedan Crystal White Tricoat
27 Posts
I went from the PSS ATS-V spec tire to the P4S's and I will see the P4S's work just as good if not better. I just took it up to the mountains and did some hard runs with them. They were amazing, even in the hot weather they still held up very well. It was only at the end when the weather was high 90's where they started to get a little slick but still very controllable. I was using the Track, PTM mode Sport 2 the whole time and never had an issue with the rear end coming out.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,750 Posts
I went from the PSS ATS-V spec tire to the P4S's and I will see the P4S's work just as good if not better. I just took it up to the mountains and did some hard runs with them. They were amazing, even in the hot weather they still held up very well. It was only at the end when the weather was high 90's where they started to get a little slick but still very controllable. I was using the Track, PTM mode Sport 2 the whole time and never had an issue with the rear end coming out.
I'll add to that. Its not so much that a tire sticks because when you have enough power any tire will break lose. It's how controllable the loss of traction is and with the PS4 tires its very predictable and controllable. The tires give you good feedback and there's no point where they abruptly lose traction. This is most important in the wet and even the Conti DW/Extreme Contacts don't match the wet traction of the PS4. The wet braking is quite surprising.

I will concede this. When the PS4 get to the last bit of tread left the wet traction goes away fast.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts