Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested out the new Michelin all season 4 tires today.
Ran a few errands and ran into some rain.
I felt stabile on the road under acceleration and braking.

Looks like I chose wisely.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,417 Posts
Meanwhile I'm loving my PS4S.

Reactions: Funkdawg

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
647 Posts
The biggest difference I can discern with the PS4S compared to the stock PSS ties is how they handle in the rain. Wow, what a difference!

·
Registered
'17 ATS-V Phantom Grey Sedan 8AT
96 Posts
R-S4s or other? I haven't had problems with the R-S4s except in a driving downpour at highway speeds and 3-4/32nds.
Yea, the RS-4s. I drive mainly in the city and need a street/track versatile tire. I really enjoy these RS4s... but I treat them like Ice Skates in rain and anything below 50*F. Thats where my Nokians take over... haha

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT, 2006 XLR
174 Posts
The performance of the PS4S is a good all around tire in the rain and otherwise. They are, however, one of the noisiest tires I have ever ridden on. I was quite taken aback when I first started to driving on them. After these are done, I will, more than likely switch to all season Continentals since they are much quieter and I am told that their performance is on par with the Michelins.I am not an aggressive driver and I do not track my 2016.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,417 Posts
Interesting as I don't find my PS4S that noisy. I have over 6000 miles now. Maybe the roads and their construction. I live in Florida and frequently travel five hours north into Georgia. Or maybe it's that good music I play at 110 dba, lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
HHmmmm....probably the music at 110 dbA :rolleyes:....I have only 7500 miles on mine and drive them on all kinds of roads under a variety of conditions and in 3 different states. The noise is awful from 40 mph and up. They are balanced and the front end is aligned. So I don't know, except that I have a couple of acquaintances that have the same tire on their cars and they have the same complaint as I do. Will never buy them again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Honestly, I don't give a damn what some magazine reviewer or tester might have to say or not. The final and only judge, in my opinion, that matters is what I ACTUALLY hear, and on that score, these Michelin's get a big red "F" in the noise department! And by the way, the excessive noise starts well below 60 mph. I have a background in biophysics, and no normal, healthy ear could discern a a difference of 1 dBA.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Easy there stud muffin.

Reactions: Theroider

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
664 Posts
Honestly, I don't give a damn what some magazine reviewer or tester might have to say or not. The final and only judge, in my opinion, that matters is what I ACTUALLY hear, and on that score, these Michelin's get a big red "F" in the noise department! And by the way, the excessive noise starts well below 60 mph. I have a background in biophysics, and no normal, healthy ear could discern a a difference of 1 dBA.
The fact is that the magazine uses standardized testing, with tires on the same cars, with the same tread depth, on the same surface and at the same ambient conditions and results in a quantifiable and repeatable sound level. Your testing is purely subjective and results in a largely baseless opinion.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Who cares?? Certainly NOT me!....I am the one that drives the car everyday, so my opinion is the ONLY one that counts in my life! We are all entitled to our own opinions. Yours is no more valid than mine.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Opinions, yes, that is up to the individual. Statistical analysis from gauges and measuring devices usually are treated with more validity than opinions. Nonetheless, it is your car and no one is arguing that fact.

Reactions: JawFixr

·
Registered
'17 ATS-V Phantom Grey Sedan 8AT
96 Posts
My Hankook RS4s were nice and quiet when brand new. After 6 track days on them, and many potholes to throw off the camber/toe, they began to howl significantly as they got down to the wear bars. Poor alignment and uneven wear will cause increased noise as the tires age.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Increased noise from normal driving is not the case here. These tires have less than 8K miles on them. I do not track the car. It is always kept in alignment and the car is not driven aggressively in day to day driving. These tires have been noisy from day one. I can understand the noise if you were to track the car or keep it in poor alignment. This is not the case here. From my biophysics background, statistical analysis can be "bent" to accommodate the bias of the person measuring and then there is poor instrument calibration and undetected instrument malfunctions unbeknownst to the technician.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts