Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer shop foreman said I knew about the updates before they did (thanks to the Cadillac Forum).
today mine was the first vehicle they are applying this SW update to.

my vehicle already had the new updated cameras, but not the new SW.

the image is definitely larger.
it appears to be a little clearer.
the guidelines for backup are still there.
THE GUIDELINES FOR FORWARD ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE AFTER THE UPDATE, NOT EVEN THE SMALLER GUIDELINES ON THE SURROUND IMAGE THAT WAS THERE BEFORE.

FOR ME THE MOST IMPORTANT IMAGE WILL BE THE NIGHTTIME IMAGE.
They did not activate the puddle lights at night for the surround cameras.
They remove all the front guidelines.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Platinum15esv said:
How do you guys do the software Update, i just bought the 2015i Platinum esv
Ask them if they did the update. An hour of synching with computer.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Premium, 2015 Escalade Premium, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
50 Posts
zerdian1 said:
The dealer shop foreman said I knew about the updates before they did (thanks to the Cadillac Forum). today mine was the first vehicle they are applying this SW update to. my vehicle already had the new updated cameras, but not the new SW. http://s50.photobucket.com/user/zerdian1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsztrgthag.jpg.html http://s50.photobucket.com/user/zerdian1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmfzlb6pk.jpg.html the image is definitely larger. it appears to be a little clearer. the guidelines for backup are still there. THE GUIDELINES FOR FORWARD ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE AFTER THE UPDATE, NOT EVEN THE SMALLER GUIDELINES ON THE SURROUND IMAGE THAT WAS THERE BEFORE. FOR ME THE MOST IMPORTANT IMAGE WILL BE THE NIGHTTIME IMAGE. They did not activate the puddle lights at night for the surround cameras. They remove all the front guidelines.
Coral Cadillac in Pompano Beach did my software update yesterday (4/15/15) and it didn't fix a thing. Still a blurry, shadowy mess. Looks like this will be my last Cadillac product. Can't see myself continuing to spend 90K on a vehicle that's been broken since day one. Oh and it's not just the camera, there are other problems that they can't seem to fix. I stopped buying German in 2010 and started buying Cadillacs: 3 Escalades and 2 CTS's but I'm done now.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I have a good picture during daytime but sucks at nighttime unless there is reflective lighting from my garage door bouncing to the car.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My under-building garage parking spot seems lit up enough when the space is empty,
but when the massive Escalade ESV is trying to park in what seems like a very tiny space and the Escalade is blocking all the available light.
The surround camera shows only grey screen.
the grey cement of the grey concrete walls and the concrete floor.
it is extremely hard to tell where the floor ends and where the wall or the concrete column begin.
so I have marked it up with fluorescent colored tape on the walls and one the floor.
but without any light reaching the tape it is invisible on the surround screens of the old camera.
I will see what it looks like with the improved resolution image.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cameras are worthless in this $90k+ vehicle. I thought they were "ok" until I drove it around more and directly compared it to my other vehicles with backup cameras. The small integrated camera on my 15 year old flip phone is better. I'm being serious.

·
Registered
Escalade
36 Posts
I think everyone's problem is with the 360 system, which is based on four fisheye lenses having their output knit together by software into a somewhat rectilinear single image. As someone who is a bit familiar with fisheye lenses, and the distortions they produce, and the use of software to attempt to correct those distortions, I just don't think it's realistic to expect perfection or to compare the image quality of the output with that of a single rectilinear-hardware camera. My 50 year old film camera with a rectilinear lens had less distortion than a multithousand dollar professional DSLR with the highest quality fisheye lens, even after using photoshop on a high-powered computer (no less the software and processor built into our cars) to correct the inherent distortion of the fisheye (and this is for a single fisheye image, before we even try to stitch four images together). If we have a quarrel, it should be with the decision to use the 360 degree system in the first place, not with the quality of the equipment in our car's system. As I have written on other threads, my upgrade was a vast improvement in both day and night performance. While not photographically pure the system now succeeds in performing the function that it is designed for. I can now see, no matter how bad the lighting, what's going on near my car and act with confidence in the information that's on my screen. Before I could see nothing and had no confidence. So maybe Cadillac was too ambitious in putting in the cool new 360 system, but I am glad I have it because while the pictures are distorted I don't expect no distortion and now when I'm parking in a tight spot in a lot I can see what's happening on the side of my car as well as in the rear (and I have always been able to use the old fashioned "look out the front windshield with my eyes 'app'" to see what's going on in front, though the camera view particularly of the low front angle is a nice supplement of course). From what we hear about other cars their 360 systems are no better than ours. I have not used any of those other systems myself, but I have researched them online and looked at Youtube videos reviewing them, and they don't seem to be any better. So let's either convince Cadillac that 360 is not ready for prime time in general, or, like I'm willing to do, accept its shortcomings with its benefits.

Though I continue to be mystified that the upgrades for some people have made a huge improvement but for others very little or none. Can only speculate that hardware wasn't changed on the latter even where people were told it was. But of course this is just speculation.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leverda
right on
good explanation.

I know the hardware was not changed.
they just worked on improving the resolution a little.
in the daytime it is OK.
still have not tested it at night, but I do not expect any improvement as no lights were added or activated like the puddle lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts