Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
I just bought a '99 STS from a guy that is reputable in selling the STS around town. It has 49k miles and is crimson red, a color I never thought I'd like but it blew me away after seeing it in person. The car runs and drives nice - a definite change from the '98 BMW M3 I treed last weekend. I have the water in trunk problem, one I was told to re-silicone the gasket for. I also have a rough starting issue - any suggestions? I will try to post pics of an identical STS and also my treed car from last weekend when I get a chance to host them. My webshots account is full right now.

Regards
Tad

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts
:welcome:Trunk leaks are common. It's either the gasket seal or a body seam around the tail lights. Do a search. There is lots of information on it.

We need more information on the starting issue. Hot or cold start? How many miles on it? Does it crank normal or slow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the starting issue:
The hot starts are almost par for course.
The cold starts are poor - between myself and family, we've had many GM cars over 49k that don't start this way.
THe car has 49k miles.
The cranking speeds is normal.

My theory - sometimes is does the "almost start" thing, so I wonder if it's an issue of getting fuel to engine cylinder. I know Jags used to have this problem frequently. I am a pretty mechanically minded person, so I'm not afraid to do some minor unbolting to check simple issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tadman,
It could also be the fuel pressure regulator. I had that go on my Deville with 50K on it and it started real hard. It's only about $250 for a dealer to do, along with the fuel filter.

-Jon

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts
If it is hard hat starts, the FPR is highly suspect. Easy to replace yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts