Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ESC
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was an extremly long process but take a look at the outcome. I think it looks very sweet. Sent my old non-woodgrain steering wheel in to be custom covered in 1/2 woodgrain and leather. Also had my gear shifter custom covered in woodgrain and fiberglassed in my double din. Still have to fix some things in the door but hopefully that won't be too long down the line.

BIG THANKS TO TIMOTHYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Met him from this board and he was the guru in getting these installations completed. He re-wired my original factory unit in the trunk so the security system gives me no problems now. We pretty much gutted the entire interior and then put it all back together, learned a bunch!

Attachments

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Very nice, indeed! I also am working on adding some wood finish to my car.

I do have a couple questions about your car though... Did yours have the Bose sound system? Also... How did you remove the shifter??? Alldata doesn't really explain it very well...at least not well enough for me:confused:

Again, very nice!!!

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ESC
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my system was non-bose so I have no clue what goes into a new install on top of a bose system.

The shifter has a metal u shaped clip. Just get the smalled flathead screwdriver you have and pull that clip off and the shifter pops right off.

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
Details on the steering wheel????? Who, what, where, and how much?

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Well I was asking because I thought I had read somewhere that Bose systems were a lot easier to add the NAV into. Wait... was your NAV OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket how did you add in the NAV? Fairly simple?

Another silly follow-up on the shifte: Is the clip under the panel?

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ESC
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
249 for the wheel recover via Trimstop.com...took about 2.5 weeks to get back.....B&I actually does not sell to the public, you have to go through one of their resellers which led me to B&I.

the clip is on the actual shifter - it is below the thick head of the shifter on the side facing the radio.....

My nav is aftermark kenwood dnx5120....install was anything but easy. Pretty much to gurantee everything works right you have to install your factory headunit in the trunk and run the power, ground, and dataclass wires back to it so the car thinks it is still installed and your security system won't wig out. Then there is no aftermarket kit so you have to find a fiberglass guy to custom fab one. Again I got lucky, TimothyR hooked me up and installed the factory unit in the trunk....now that I have seen it done wouldnt be so challenging....

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ESC
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that sucks bigtime...wish I would have re-checked...that kit was just released in 2009 i see.......there was no kit before that! Could have saved me some cash and time big time!

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Dude, that looks very nice. If I didn't have the BOSE in mine, I would definitely consider rigging up something just like yours.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Wow that looks nice man! I have the Bose system in my car and im still kinda scared to attempt a install like this. Somebody should post a very detailed installation process with pictures to make it easier for us non-nav owners lol!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
The wheel and shifter look amazing. The stereo does too, but I went down that road w/my ETC's Bose, and once was enough....

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS with 182K
7 Posts
To k cin az:
do your steering wheel buttons work with the radio or do you not have any i can't tell by the picture

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ESC
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the steering wheel radio controls do not work...the tempature controls still work though. I am not sure if there is a kit that will allow the steering wheel controls to interface with aftermarket HU's or not, but i never got in the habit of using the volume control on the wheel anyways so I don't notice it...I have always been a knob guy for volume, which is why I insisted on getting a din with the knob control...

·
Banned
2000 Seville STS
468 Posts
There is an adapter made to make your steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket radio. Go to crutchfield.com and type in steering wheel in the search. They make different ones depending on the brand of your aftermarket radio.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts