Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned home from fetching my previously owned SRX, I spent about 14 hours in the car getting home, so I feel like I'm getting to know it pretty well. I have a few issues to work through, but not too many surprises so far.

Question on the HID lights. I'm not sure they are working properly, never had them before, so I'm not sure what to expect. The little lights that light up the first 10 feet in front of the car seem to be way brighter than the low beams. I expected really bright headlights, but they seem not that great to me. On high beam they don't seem all that great either, but at least the high beams drown out the little front lights (city lights?? what is the proper name for those third bulbs?) To summarize and get to the point: Should these be way better headlights than the halogens I'm used to say on my 2003 GM pickup?

I think they need adjustment, the left high beam seems to point in the oncoming lane and seems low. I found the screw for adjusting the vertical, but there is no adjustment for the horizontal so I don't know what to do about that.

I guess what I'm wondering is if I need to replace the bulbs or something. Is it possible that the PO tried to swap in a halogen bulb rather than the HID? I suppose I will take them apart to look this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any input on what I'm seeing (or not seeing)

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,022 Posts
If you look very closely at the housing lens cover very faintly in front of the top projector will say "D1S" if you have the factory hid setup otherwise if it says HB4 or HB3 on the top one then you have the halogen projectors. The lower one (which is the brights) will say the HB3 or HB4 regardless of low beam lights.
Yes they should preform better than the halogens from your old car.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, once it got good and dark tonight I was able to put these against a white wall, and determined that a huge part of the problem is that one or both is severely out of adjustment. The left one is primarily pointed about four feet in front of the bumper. I'll adjust and see how they look tomorrow night.

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't been able to drive it much in the dark lately, (since adjusting the headlights) but I'm pretty certain they are fine now.

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another quick update, in case if proves useful to someone in the future. The headlight was out of adjustment because the whole moving adjustment mechanism inside the housing had come loose. There are three little ball joints that hold the bulb mounts to the larger headlight assembly. One of them somehow popped out. I could adjust the vertical, but the side to side would randomly point in different directions from time to time. Looking at the headlight one day, I noticed that the drivers side lamps were off kilter, so I took the whole headlight out and opened it up. It's very hard to work on the inside, and was about a three hour test of patience to get the ball back on the stud. But, it's now good to go and the cost was $0 except for a couple beers.

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX
79 Posts
the left high beam seems to point in the oncoming lane and seems low. I found the screw for adjusting the vertical, but there is no adjustment for the horizontal so I don't know what to do about that.
Hello

May I ask you to describe where the screw is?

I have similar issues than you but I do not know where the screw is

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The adjustment screw on my 04 for the vertical adjustment is an allen head that you access from above. It is just behind the headlight assembly, about in the center. The allen head is recessed a few inches below and can be seen through an access hole in the sheet metal that runs behind the headlight. The screw has a little funnel attached to the top of it to guide the allen wrench into place. If you happen to have the airbox out of the way, you can see the whole adjustment mechanism clearly on the back of the driver's side headlight unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts