Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i think some of the speakers went out of my car, like the bass sounds real messed up, i searched other threads but i couldnt really find my answers, i want to replace my speakers, but i was told that i need to change my " amp" also (which i have no clue about), any ideas on what i can do? please help, thanks in advance thank you!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you just want to replace the speakers, you can use the stock AMPS. Each speaker has it's own amp in 95. If you want to replace the whole system, then you will have to remove the amps or get the converter.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
you can replace the stock speaks with aftermarket but they arent as loud and in my opinion not really worth the cost. Which ones sound bad is it an entire side? This will help in determineing if its the amp the signal box or the speakers.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
What is the problem with the speakers which ones are the ones sounding bad.

This is kinda required info to help you

if your keeping the stock Bose HU and Bose amps you should really keep it all BOSE i did a complete stereo replacement tossing all the Bose except for the front speaker boxes.

3.5 are supposedly in the front however i replaced mine in my 97 ETC and i had 4 inch and 5 1/4s. The 4s were too small the 5's were a bit to large however i was able to get them to fit nicely and sound alot better than the 4's (both the 4's and 5 1/4 were infinity ref series). As for the rears they are 6x9s no doubt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
walmart brand really are bottom of the barrel when it comes to upgradeing speakers. Lightning Audio isnt bad they are a cheeper lower budget company owned by Rockford Fosgate. The best for the money are infinitys. Will they "work" yes they will fit. Will they be an improvement over the stock Bose system? Probably not. Remember if your replaceing the speakers with aftermarket you should really get rid of all the Bose crap which means a new HU and youll have to rewire the entire car.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Well bose are dealer only and will cost you an arm in a leg however it would be alot cheeper to replace the bose then pay someone to bypass all the stock bose stuff and rewire your whole car unless you know how to do it youself. Infinity can be bought at Circuit City. However it still needs to be determined if its the Bose Speakers (if this is the case you "can" replace them with aftermarket speaks but because of the difference in OHMS they will not produce as much sound and therefore not sound as good) or the Amps (in 95 each speaker was driven by 4 mini amps one for each speaker if the amps are bad it wont matter if you replace the speakers) or the Signal Box which is mounted behind the rear seat i believe. Did they all go bad at one time? Did they go out one at a time? Do they sound good sometimes bad at others? How do they sound? Do they sound worse at higher volumes or do they sound bad uniformly? I know these are alot of questions but they are needed to help determine what the problem is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CadillacETC1997 said:
Well bose are dealer only and will cost you an arm in a leg however it would be alot cheeper to replace the bose then pay someone to bypass all the stock bose stuff and rewire your whole car unless you know how to do it youself. Infinity can be bought at Circuit City. However it still needs to be determined if its the Bose Speakers (if this is the case you "can" replace them with aftermarket speaks but because of the difference in OHMS they will not produce as much sound and therefore not sound as good) or the Amps (in 95 each speaker was driven by 4 mini amps one for each speaker if the amps are bad it wont matter if you replace the speakers) or the Signal Box which is mounted behind the rear seat i believe. Did they all go bad at one time? Did they go out one at a time? Do they sound good sometimes bad at others? How do they sound? Do they sound worse at higher volumes or do they sound bad uniformly? I know these are alot of questions but they are needed to help determine what the problem is.
i just bought the car, i dont no in what order they went out, there not all bad thou, they sound alright/okay at regular/low volume, when i put the volume up, it sounds bad because the bass makes a real bad noise like its broken ? u need more info?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
More than likely then its the speakers. The cheepest way to do this is to replace the speakers. However your gen bose stuff was the same from 92-95 in 96 they changed the bose stuff (like the plugs and since the rear speakers have the amps MOUNTED on them they are not really interchangeable). I know i have a pair of the front bose speakers lying around from my dads old 93 ETC if your interested, however im at a loss for the rears. I know they are like 250-300 for the rears if you went with good infinitys it will be around 200 for a pair so its probably your best bet to check around for those maybe on ebay if you do make sure you get BOSE 6x9s (not plain AC DELCO)ones out of a GM model (year 92-95 due to the plug difference not to mention in 96 Sevilles not Eldorados) were changed to one single amp for all the speakers, Eldos maintained one single amp for each speaker until they were discontinued in 02.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey man, i checked all the speakers, they are all stock bose, the only one that sounds bad is the front-right....its really bad, everything else is good! i think i saw the amp in the trunk behind the seats ( behind a cover ) i think, imma change that one bad speaker and see whats up! is it hard to install?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
nope not bad at all you remove the door panel take out 3 screws (another reason why bose are hard to replace they use 3 screws in a triangle pattern rather than 4 in a square patter) pry the speaker out of the bose box (they are sealed in there to keep them airtight) remove the 2 wires connect them to the new speaker and put everything back together. From a dealer i think its like 200 for front ones.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
P.S. that thing you saw is the tuner box not the amp. In 95they still used one amp per speaker the 2 amps in the front are inside the speaker boxes the ones in the rear like i said are bolted onto the speakers themselves.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this help a very much, well, i was playing with my system today, when i put the volume and bass to the max ( playing a rap song) the back speakers bounce real hard and make a crappy noise, like its blown, when i put it down it sounds normal

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imma look for speakers this week, and hopefully i get good ones, i went to best buy and i saw these real nice pioneer ones, but imma prolly gonna listen to yah and get the infinties or bose!

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Yup 5 1/4s will fit and the infinitys have the directional tweeters which are a nice bonus since we dont have independent tweeters. Pioneer are decent but i bought a set of pioneers and a set of inifinitys put one in each door of my moms deville cranked it to full with full bass the pioneers kinda poped a lil the inifinitys handeled it perfectly. Bose ones like i said HAVE to be purchaced from the dealer you cant even get them from Bose directly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts