Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a tentative schedule decided beginning next April, when I return from 3 months in Italy. I'll be purchasing wheels, tires, and shocks. Can someone verify that the lug pattern on a 90 Brougham is 5 x 5? How wide can I safely have the tires and rims? Is 8 inches too wide? Finally, have any of you guys had luck with Monroe shocks? Let me know guys!

Brian

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham D'elgance
204 Posts
Bolt Pattern: 5x127 (5x5) Offset Range: -10 to 10 Wheel Size Range: 15x6.0 to 22x9.0 OEM Tire Size (Front): 225/75-15 (225x719 mm) javascript:void(0); Max Tire Dimensions: 255x744.0

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
If you are going 255 and wider, yes, go 8in. The tire will not sit properly on the rim if it is narrower. Not to mention, handle better. For me, handling on these barges is important to me.

If I can figure out how to stuff them, I hope to get 275 60 15's on my Cad. They look awesome. Sort of a steam roller look. The 90's Vettes had 275's on the front.

Big_Blue, what is the limitation for them being 255? What is it hitting? Any ideas? Anyone ever experiment with 275 60 15's on any of the RWD 77-96 cars?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man I'd love to get something as wide as that on there! I think that would look badass! Right now I'm trying to find as well a company besides Vogue that makes a high quality comfort tire with a whitewall.

Brian

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Maybe Cooper, aren't they making repro tires for some cars? Probably just Redlines though. But you might check.

I would love it if I could find some 255 60 15's in whitewalls! Sleeper....

And yes, I have seriously pondering mini tubs and put some 295 50 15's under it.... I am a sick puppy sometimes....

90Brougham350 said:
Finally, have any of you guys had luck with Monroe shocks? Let me know guys!
Monroes are tolerable, but most Monroes and Gabriels in my experience last maybe 3000 miles and then they suck. KYB is better, Bilsteins are the best. A Bilstein typically lasts 200K+ miles and still has 85% or better of new performance at 200K.
But they don't make them for level ride, so you have to adapt air bags in the back. It is one of my next upgrades. My front shocks are done. When I got the car they were ok, tolerable, but ok. Now, they suck.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Bilsteins are the best? Alright. How do they ride? I know you've suggested the 9C1 shocks before, but do the Bilsteins give a better ride? Basically, I'm looking at 15 inch rims so I can get some large sidewalled tires, at least 60 or 65, and then any quality shocks that will work with the tires to give the Brougham a Town Car-like or ever more so soft and plush ride.

Brian

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
The shocks on the front of mine are Monroe Gas matics or something like that. I got them last year because the old ones blew out. I liked the way it felt with the old ones better. It drove the same but it felt a lot softer. With these ones if you're driving on a bumpy road you can feel it and with the old ones it felt more like you were floating over it.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
The 9C1 shocks are what I ran on my 85 Cutlass had them, my moms 85 FWB had them, and my 76 Delta 88 had them. WELL worth it, but again, still not enough if you ask me. You will like the 9C1 shocks I think. For the Bilsteins, they are firm down the road, and then when you hit a bump, they open valves and allow the tire to track the road, then as soon as it settles down, it closes and firms up again. Sorta like the Edelbrock IAS monotubes. Only best in the industry. BMW's and Benz all come with them, as well as Rolls Royces and Bentleys. They are the best.

If you are going with Bilsteins, don't go 9C1 unless Bilstein recommends them. They are tuned to the springs, and 9C1's had STIFF springs.

brougham said:
The shocks on the front of mine are Monroe Gas matics or something like that. I got them last year because the old ones blew out. I liked the way it felt with the old ones better. It drove the same but it felt a lot softer. With these ones if you're driving on a bumpy road you can feel it and with the old ones it felt more like you were floating over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts